volume eaters.....favorite high volume but low cal snack or meal?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn. I eat it plain. Boring, but still tasty.

I bought a bunch of different seasonings, cajun, morrocan, italian etc and I give my popcorn a light spray with olive oil then season it. Very tasty!

Oh I never thought of this. And what's the deal with the air popped? I guess you have to have one of those little machines. Lower in cal because no oil?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yes air popped popcorn machine here so no oil.
    40 gram of popped corn is about 120 calories

Makes a nice bowl
    I add some butter spray and Kernel seasoning ( cheddar, or garlic cheddar or sweet or bacon)
    and it is about 10 calories more

love it and have it every evening.
    handy when you want to eat a couple of hundred of something lol

76145189.png
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no oil, uses hot air, pops corn in 2 minutes abouts. Air poppers are cheap, price fluctuates down to $12 on popular models often. Get one. :D
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You can make air popped in the microwave with no machine.

Put 1/4c kernels in a paper lunch bag. Fold the top over about 1" twice. Stick it inthe micro and hit the popcorn button (or about 3 minutes). You can reuse the bag.

My Fav popcorn topping is splenda and cinnamon.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    the great thing about fresh whole vegan food is that you can eat twice as much for half the calories :) I just finished a gigantic dish of sautéed collard greens, mushrooms, snap peas and parsnips topped with cilantro, flax seeds and lemon tahini dressing. Delicious!

Another of my favorite snacks is mixing a can of pumpkin puree with cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, a dash of brown sugar and some walnuts or pumpkin seeds.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the air popped advice all! And the seasonings sound so fun.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I really wish I actually cared for pop corn. I like it covered in caramel... so yeahno. Sigh.

Tonight I made roasted carrots, turnips and broccoli. 5 carrots, 1 turnip, a head of broccoli, one tablespoon of olive oil... Very low calories, filling and delicious (I ate about 1/3).
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas.
    does anyone know of a website dedicated to eating high volume food?
    I did a few searches but no success.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "Hungry girl" is the only one I can think of. I find it to be an okay website. It's not the best, but there are a few good ideas. The recipes themselves are mostly mediocre though. Usually I just browse the site looking for ideas and then adapt recipes how I see fit.
  • Farm_Girl_Strong
    Farm_Girl_Strong Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love Brussels sprouts cut in half, sprinkled with garlic powder and salt, then toasted in the oven til crispy.

Also I love a huge veggie stirfry(no oil, as the veggies release juices) with garlic, salt and pepper. And a cup of basmati rice on the side. Very low cal if your veggie total is 2-3 times more than the cup of rice.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    dill pickle popcorn
    a crap load of homemade hashbrowns or sweet potato fries
    roasted broccoli
    an entire watermelon mmm
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is Yummi sushi's fusion roll. Matchstick veggies marinated in rice vinegar with a crab stick and either salmon, shrimp, or tuna wrapped in rice paper. About 150 cals per large roll. Just wish they were cheaper, or I was less lazy so I would make them myself.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    NaurielR wrote: »
    "Hungry girl" is the only one I can think of. I find it to be an okay website. It's not the best, but there are a few good ideas. The recipes themselves are mostly mediocre though. Usually I just browse the site looking for ideas and then adapt recipes how I see fit.

Most of her "recipes" are overly processed diet crap. And honestly not very tasty. I was disappointed after getting one of her recipe books.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    jonrenly wrote: »
    the great thing about fresh whole vegan food is that you can eat twice as much for half the calories :) I just finished a gigantic dish of sautéed collard greens, mushrooms, snap peas and parsnips topped with cilantro, flax seeds and lemon tahini dressing. Delicious!

Another of my favorite snacks is mixing a can of pumpkin puree with cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, a dash of brown sugar and some walnuts or pumpkin seeds.

O oohh I need to pick up some pumpkin. I used to do something similar on ww and forgot all about it. Thanks!!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Stir fry - lots & lots of veggies, usually with a container of tofu.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Spinach! Raw or boiled. I'm boring I know...
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Stir fry - lots & lots of veggies, usually with a container of tofu.

I made a stir-fry yesterday with spinach and bean sprouts and chicken ...lol a bunch for the ridiculous low amount of about 150 calories a portion/serving

and it was so good that i eat another serving this morning that i did in an omelet. yummie scrummie

Lol bean sprouts a whole back is only 30 calories or so. And guess what...i loveeeeeeeeeeeeee bean sprouts!
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Airpopped popcorn!!! With a little spray butter and a pinch of sugar its a good kettle corn cheat!
  • acmiranda7
    acmiranda7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I do Pacific Organic Black Bean Soup, add 85 grams any lean beef (usually thin sliced bottom round steak) and then I start adding in 100 grams of whatever veggies sound good, look good, have on hand that needs to be eaten soon. The combos are endless and even if I eat the ENTIRE thing, no matter how much it makes, it's always less than 400 calories.

• acmiranda7
    acmiranda7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love black bean everything, especially soup with cilantro blended in it.