Breakfast struggles...

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right?? Well I need some advice :/

So on a typical day I wake up around 9am. Then I go do my workout, come home & shower. So by that time it's usually around noon. I eat around that time then again around 5-6. & bed around midnight. So I can't really fit 3 meals in.

Any advice? Is 3 meals that important?? Is breakfast a must?? Any advice helps :)

Replies

• scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    I usually eat my first meal around 1 or 2 pm because of my work schedule. As long as you are eating enough and not starving, I don't think timing really matters.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Meal number, frequency, and timing are unimportant. Just hit your calorie goal by the end of the day and you're fine. The whole "breakfast jump starts your metabolism" talk is just BS.
  • TimeaDeborahh
    TimeaDeborahh Posts: 322 Member
    Thanks guys!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I don't think it matters. People who work shifts eat at all sorts of times. I personally eat breakfast because I'm hungry in the morning and I like eating breakfast, but you don't have to.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    The only real important thing I have gathered from my research is that breakfast is crucial if it is material to your workout or activities.

For non-intense workouts, I normally don't have much. And in fact I do some fasted moderate rides. Not for weight loss, but to get adapted to using fat, which is useful for long/hard rides. I would never think about racing or doing a high-intensity workout while fasted, though. Been there, bonked hard, never again.

If you're cracking at work or unable to work out because you skipped/skimmed breakfast, you need to eat more at that meal. Otherwise, carry on :smile:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    tycho_mx wrote: »
    The only real important thing I have gathered from my research is that breakfast is crucial if it is material to your workout or activities.

For non-intense workouts, I normally don't have much. And in fact I do some fasted moderate rides. Not for weight loss, but to get adapted to using fat, which is useful for long/hard rides. I would never think about racing or doing a high-intensity workout while fasted, though. Been there, bonked hard, never again.

If you're cracking at work or unable to work out because you skipped/skimmed breakfast, you need to eat more at that meal. Otherwise, carry on :smile:

I think that really depends on the person. I did very high intensity workouts all through high school in a fasted state early in the morning before I could eat breakfast. In my case, eating before the workout made me sluggish and made me feel sick to my stomach. Working out fasted was the only real way to workout. It really depends on how each individual person reacts to the food they eat.