wieght training or cardio? Which is better for fat burning?

Options
I'm the type of guy that does 90% weight training and 10% cardio. Mainly because I can't stand cardio :( I have lost around 50 lbs doing so but am wondering if adding more cardio will add to my fat burning? MFP doesn't really tell you what weight training does to burn cals so I figured I would ask you all! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    adding more cardio= adding more of a calorie deficit.

As for the title of your questions it all depends. Some many factors to consider.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    "Fat Burning" is primarily going to be driven by diet, and creating a calorie deficit. Exercise can help expand that deficit, but it's still going to be mostly a function of what you're eating.

That said, cardio tends to burn a few more calories than lifting for a given time period. But lifting is important to retain as much lean muscle mass as possible while shedding pounds.

Personally - I try to do 4 lifting days and 2 cardio days per week. You just need to experiment and find the balance that works for you that both achieves your goals and is sustainable (ie - if you HATE cardio, trying to do 50% cardio probably isn't going to be sustainable).
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    weight training will burn fat. Exercise will burn fat, use energy. Exercise = health. Stop . Diet and calorie deficiency =Weight loss. Stop. If you want to add to your exercise arsenal> Find cardio you like. Join a fight club or MMA, bike, run swim, etc? the choices are endless. its not all Richard Simmons out there:) FYI (The the Rich) little man can move. I digress. what is your end game?
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Cardio will burn more fat.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »

What about the repair muscle process that goes on?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Cardio will burn more calories minute for minute vs lifting. In that sense it creates more of a deficit. Lifting helps preserve lean mass so that when you are losing weight, more of a percentage of that weight lost is fat vs someone who does cardio only. I tend to think of cardio and weights separately rather than a one or the other type of situation. You use cardio to increase calories burned. If you can do that through diet alone, then you technically don't need to do any cardio at all. Lifting on the other hand is about mass preservation. That cannot be accomplished though diet alone, but ensuring adequate protein is taken in can help.

So basically, while cardio does burn more calories, it does not have the mass sparing effect of weight lifting. I would do weights for sure, and add in cardio if you want slightly faster results, or want to be able to eat a little bit more each day, or if you enjoy it (which it sounds like you do not.)

• Eudoxy
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I don't know, what?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - if you are seeing results with what you are doing then keep doing it...
    -
    are you on a structured lifting program or a self designed one?
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Both are important for fat loss. You want to lift weights, heavy weights, to add lean muscle mass. Think about it like this, muscle cells are cells in your body that can do work. They require energy (aka your calories) to stay. Fat cells, do nothing but sit there. They are stored energy. The more muscle cells you have, the more calories you will use sitting perfectly still just being alive. Lifting weights burns calories during, but it's the synthesis of new muscles, and the maintenance of current muscles that makes weight lifting beneficial. Not to mention it gives your body shape.

Cardio on the other hand, is fat torching during, and does pretty much nothing after. I highly disagree with the 4x/week weights 2x/week cardio. You need to make time for cardio every single time you are at the gym. And I don't mean bouncing up and down on an elliptical. Work on high intesnsity interval training. Sprints are a great way. A minute sprint followed by 30-45 second walk for 20-25 minutes is great. Look into what your max heart rate is for your age and try to stay in the high intensity range. It's going to suck, you're going to sweat, you're going to hate every second, but push through it. Most people hate cardio, especially running, because it's uncomfortable so they back off the intenisty. Don't. When it gets uncomfortable that's when changes are made. You'll know when you're just uncomfortable because you're out of breath, sweaty, maybe have a cramp vs when you've hurt yourself. Remember for everything you do at the gym, if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
  • yopeeps025
    edited March 2015
    Options

I don't know, what?

You know it takes energy for muscle to repair right. So that added calories to repair muscles. Can you really say a hour long weight lifting session burns less than a one hour cardio session in a 24 hour period.
  • DustinSmith84
    DustinSmith84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    -

I have been lifting on a self designed program. 5 days a week. Usually a few miles a week on treadmill. And basketball/golf on the weekends.
  • Eudoxy
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Cardio will burn more calories minute for minute vs lifting. In that sense it creates more of a deficit. Lifting helps preserve lean mass so that when you are losing weight, more of a percentage of that weight lost is fat vs someone who does cardio only. I tend to think of cardio and weights separately rather than a one or the other type of situation. You use cardio to increase calories burned. If you can do that through diet alone, then you technically don't need to do any cardio at all. Lifting on the other hand is about mass preservation. That cannot be accomplished though diet alone, but ensuring adequate protein is taken in can help.

So basically, while cardio does burn more calories, it does not have the mass sparing effect of weight lifting. I would do weights for sure, and add in cardio if you want slightly faster results, or want to be able to eat a little bit more each day, or if you enjoy it (which it sounds like you do not.)

Right, understood. Overall, for strictly fat burning (not considering muscle preservation, which he's already doing), cardio will burn more fat, though. But agreed it's not necessary.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    -

I have been lifting on a self designed program. 5 days a week. Usually a few miles a week on treadmill. And basketball/golf on the weekends.

I would highly recommend looking into a structured program like stronglifts, starting strength, or similar beginner program...

do you have access to barbells and free weights at home, or at the gym you go to?
  • DustinSmith84
    Options
    -

I would highly recommend looking into a structured program like stronglifts, starting strength, or similar beginner program...

do you have access to barbells and free weights at home, or at the gym you go to?

Yes I have over 1000 lbs of free weight at home and also belong to a gym in my town. I have never tried a structured program before. Where do I find one? Google?
  • Eudoxy
    edited March 2015
    Options

I don't know, what?

You know it takes energy for muscle to repair right. So that added calories to repair muscles. Can you really say a hour long weight lifting session burns less than a one hour cardio session in a 24 hour period.

I think the cardio still burns more fat, strictly speaking, all things being equal. I still do more weight training myself, for the reasons stated by y'all.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    -

Yes I have over 1000 lbs of free weight at home and also belong to a gym in my town. I have never tried a structured program before. Where do I find one? Google?

Thing is progressive overload is a easy concept. Now I do regret wasting my newbie gains years and years ago on my own program. If you have any lifting goals a structured program can get you there quicker.

You don't seem like a new lifter so how long have you been a lifter?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I don't know, what?

I think the cardio still burns more fat, strictly speaking, all things being equal. I still do more weight training myself, for the reasons stated by y'all.

Are we talking fat calories? Then yes I agree with you.
  • DustinSmith84
    Options
    -

Thing is progressive overload is a easy concept. Now I do regret wasting my newbie gains years and years ago on my own program. If you have any lifting goals a structured program can get you there quicker.

I lifted a few years ago and was able to get decent results 290 dropped to 250 but met a girl and pretty much stopped going to the gym. I recently started lifting again in early December when I was at my heaviest ever 330 lbs. I'm around 280 now the pounds dropped extremely fast but I have plateaud for the past few weeks. And injured myself this weekend picking up 100 lb dumbbells. So kind of knocked down right now :(
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I don't know, what?

It doesn't with all things being equal.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
    Even with this unrealistic 800 calorie a day diet. The resistance trained group came out way ahead.
    From Bret Contreras on this study:
    "The cardio training group lost 28.2 lbs of fat, lost 9.0 lbs of lean body mass, and decreased resting metabolic rate by 210.7 calories per day. On the other hand, the resistance training group lost 32.0 lbs of fat, lost only 1.8 lbs of lean body mass, and increased resting metabolic rate by 63.3 calories per day"
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    -

I lifted a few years ago and was able to get decent results 290 dropped to 250 but met a girl and pretty much stopped going to the gym. I recently started lifting again in early December when I was at my heaviest ever 330 lbs. I'm around 280 now the pounds dropped extremely fast but I have plateaud for the past few weeks. And injured myself this weekend picking up 100 lb dumbbells. So kind of knocked down right now :(

If you are even attempting to lift a 100 pound dumbbell you are out of the newbie range. So an intermediate program I know of is the 5/3/1 program.