Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Timing

Hey folks,

When i was younger i used to be able to hit the weights whenever, and eat a small lunch and a huge dinner. That was all i needed to make progress with my goals to gain muscle.

I'm older now (40) and my goals have changed. My metabolism has declined significantly, and my free time has been drastically reduced thanks to being a family man. So while i know i can make progress as long as i follow the "calories_in < calories_out" rule, I'd like to maximize my efforts as best i can.

Currently my blueprint looks a little like this:

06:00 - fasted steady state cardio (30 mins)
07:30 - breakfast (protein/fats/complex carbs)
10:00 - morning snack (protein/fats/fibre)
12:30 - lunch (protein/fats/fibre, plus starchy carbs on workout days)
14:00 - weight-training (push/pull split, mon/tues/thurs/fri)
15:00 - afternoon snack (protein/fats/fibre, plus simple carbs on workout days)
17:30 - dinner (protein/fats/fibre)
19:30 - yoga
20:00 - evening snack (protein/fats)

I'm wondering if I'm sabotaging myself with the timing of my workouts, and with the distribution of my different macros. MFP has me figured for approx 1200 calories (1000 calorie deficit to lose 2lb per week) for a 198lb man, so i've been spreading them out fairly evening, with each of my 6 meals being an average of 200 calories. On workout days I increase my calories to about 1400, adding extra carbs before and after my workout. I've also been allowing myself an extra 200 calories each weekend as a moderate cheat.

I'm currently 7 weeks into a 12 week office challenge and have lost 13 lbs so far. The same time last year i had lost 20lbs in that exact same span (I lost 25 by the end of the 12 weeks.....then gained back 30 in the 2 months afterwards). Should i be patient with the slow and steady approach (with less likelihood of backsliding down the road), or is there a way i can turn it up a notch?

Cheers,
Rob

Replies

• Buddy with the amount of exercise you are putting in you should be in the 2,000 calorie a day range my friend. I believe you are drastically under eating, I would up your calories to 1400 a day for a week and see what happens. I think you might be pleasantly surprised by a dip in the scale the following week. An average calorie deficit for a male is somewhere in the range of 1800-2200 calories a day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Do you really only eat 1200-1400 calories 5 days a week and 1600 on weekends? Or are you netting that? Didn't you post before that you're 6'2" or do I have you confused with somebody else? That is a way low calorie goal.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    I'm pretty sure the lowest recommended net for men is 1400 or 1500. You should be more concerned about your intake than your workout timing.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    The timing of your workouts and what you are eating isn't going to hurt your ability to lose weight. There's been absolutely no correlation established between what time of day one is eating and one's ability to lose weight or burn calories.

Were you weight training last year? I've found that adding weight training is making my rate of loss a bit slower but I'm losing more fat.

I have to say that I really hate these "office challenges". They have people doing, crazy stupid things to lose weight in a short period of time. My brother's health is still messed up from one he did last year when he really didn't have much weight to lose. Sure, he won $500 but he's paid a pretty steep price since then in both his health and doctor bills because of how he messed himself up.

Since you've already found that you lost weight quickly once and then gained it right back, I'd think it be better to try a slow and steady approach this time. Unless you're finding the way you're living right now to be sustainable for the rest of your life? I know it wouldn't be for me! I'd burn out after the challenge, stop working out so hard, start eating a little more and gain a lot of it right back. That's not healthy for anyone.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited March 2015
    You're over thinking this and limiting yourself to the calories of a 6 year old is only setting yourself up for failure/disaster.

Structure is good but you gotta feed your workouts!!
  • The timing of workout has no impact on the rate of weight loss.

And actually, 80% of weight loss is dietary. Exercise is more for heart health & keeping glucose levels at bay.

In regards to your daily caloric intake - How tall are you?? I ask because I'm 4'10" a female and when I was losing I consumed 1200. MFP generic recommendation is notorious for needing a bit of tweaking. As others have mentioned, you may very well be hindering results by not supplying your body with enough fuel (food) to perform efficiently.

I HIGHLY suggest you get a second opinion HERE

Best of luck to you!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Over thinking it and under eating.
    Whatever tiny benefits you may get from timing is going to be completely dwarfed by having an excessive deficit - great recipe for loss of lean mass and burn out.

You only have 28lbs to lose, take it steady and make it sustainable.
  • RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    really appreciate the input and constructive criticism folks. I've been suspicious of MFP's suggested calorie intake being excessively low. I followed Raspberry's link to get a second opinion of my TDEE and at 5'7" with approx 30% bodyfat it tells me I should be taking in 2126 calories for "reckless" weight loss. Would that be NET calories after exercise, or in total?

As for the thing about office pools, I agree that "short term fixes" are more often detrimental than beneficial. I run this challenge every year for 12 weeks and I try to use that period to educate my colleagues as much as possible about healthy food choices and being active. My office is very unhealthy, every day there are donuts, potato chips, and sugary sodas in the meeting area. The majority bring in fast food for breakfast and lunch every day as well.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    RBillard wrote: »
    really appreciate the input and constructive criticism folks. I've been suspicious of MFP's suggested calorie intake being excessively low. I followed Raspberry's link to get a second opinion of my TDEE and at 5'7" with approx 30% bodyfat it tells me I should be taking in 2126 calories for "reckless" weight loss. Would that be NET calories after exercise, or in total?

TDEE already accounts for your exercise level so the 2126 would be calorie intake in total (gross)