Feeling stuck

Options
Does anyone ever feel like they aren't doing enough, or just sick of seeing no results? If so how do you keep moving forward when you feel so stuck? Lately I feel like my efforts aren't paying off. I could really use some motivation right now.

Replies

• melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been there and I can honestly tell you if you just hang in there the results will come! You may have to switches some things up in your diet and exercise plan but sometimes I swear it's just your body daring you to quit. Don't give up changes will happen stick with it.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I think just about everyone gets discouraged. Just set your expectations realistically and see where you are a month from now. Even if you only drop a pound or two ... that's 12-24 pounds in a year. That may not sound like much, but time goes quickly and I'd love to be 24 pounds thinner!
  • Songbird61377
    Songbird61377 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's common to feel that way, it may take couple of months before change shows, but it is worth it. Some changes are subtle but your body knows the difference, you just have to trust it, think of it as a test.
  • kufahlaatc123
    kufahlaatc123 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I've had progress 16 pounds lost and 8.25 inches gone, but I've stalled with 28 more pounds to go to hit goal. I've changed my workouts from zumba 2 to 3 times a week to Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I'm half way through it. I've seen a little change but not what I was hoping for. Maybe that is why I'm getting discouraged. There are so many great results out there. I find myself trying to compare my story and body type to them. I have to say I've nailed my calorie intake 90% of the time or even more. I'm not giving up just looking for advice on continuing to move forward.
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's really all mental most of the time. You've plateaued, so that's going to be your first big mental challenge. You've mixed up the workout, now play with your calories a bit. You may need to go UP a bit! You'll get through this. Giving up is NOT an option.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OP, Maybe its time to reevaluate your macros. Maybe you taking in to many calaories. Do you weigh and track everything you eat?
  • kufahlaatc123
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At MrCoolGrim I do weigh and track everything. I'm normally a hundred or so under my calorie allowance. I don't eat back any of my work out calories either. I might need to change my intake a little bit. I am still seeing a small weight loss every week but it is slow progress and with so much more to go I thought it would be coming off faster.
    jsobole wrote: »
    It's really all mental most of the time. You've plateaued, so that's going to be your first big mental challenge. You've mixed up the workout, now play with your calories a bit. You may need to go UP a bit! You'll get through this. Giving up is NOT an option.

You are right Giving up is not a OPTION and it is such a mental game. I have been on this journey so many times. This is normally where I start to veer off. That is why I'm reaching out now. I can't go back to where I was again and start all over. I've done it to many times. This needs to be it. I'm sick of fighting this battle and letting it win time and time again. It is now my turn to win.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy!
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've definitely been there, in fact I'm there right now lol

I think it's most important to stop comparing yourself to anyone else, because it's both unfair to yourself and unrealistic to do. There are so many factors into weightloss there's no way you could have an accurate mirror in anyone else.

First I'll take a look at what I'm doing and see where I can improve. Sometimes there are areas you can tighten up (not always): calories (increasing/decreasing), increasing water intake, decreasing sodium (if it's regularly over), increasing macros (like protein), logging food or exercise more accurately (food scale/HRM/tracker). If there's stuff I can improve I'll pick one and work on it till it's better and then rinse and repeat.

Secondly I try to use as many measures of progress as I can: pounds lost, inches lost, the way clothes fit, increase in energy, sleeping better, better moods, less cravings, clearer skin or shinier hair. Anything that will show me that what I'm doing is not only working but is giving me a better quality of life than before.

Weight loss isn't a straight line and while it's good to have goals, it can be pretty difficult to dictate how fast you lose. Don't be impatient or too hard on yourself. You've made AWESOME progress so far, just remember that this is a marathon and even if it sometimes takes longer than you want, once they're gone, those pounds are gone forever ;)
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    With only 28lb to lose, you should only be losing .5-1lb per week. That means only eating 250-500 calories below TDEE, it is extremely easy for a minor miscalculation to cost your deficient for the day.

Sometimes to give yourself a mental break, continue as you are but give yourself a fitness goal ie: run a 5k, lift xx lbs of weight, push ups. Having a new focus sometimes keeps you on track but allows the mental break you may be craving.

Standard advice for plateau thread.....

*Log EVERYTHING

*Weigh Solids

*Measure liquids

*Exercise for fitness
    (weight lifting is my recommendation)

*Be Honest with Yourself

*Measure yourself, take silly pictures and then enjoy your progress.

And............

*****MOST IMPORTANTLY******

READ THIS

======================================================================================================
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    ======================================================================================================

THEN READ IT AGAIN........ :drinker:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My loss is crawling as well, and I'm staying motivated by focusing on how far I've come in my fitness. My MFP program got me this far so I'm trusting that the process will continue to work as long as I continue to follow it. I can't eat less and I think my head would explode if I deliberately ate more so if the stall continues for two more weeks after this I will be adding in some more exercise.
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat back any of your exercise calories try eating back half for a week or so and see what happens!
  • kufahlaatc123
    Options
    If you don't eat back any of your exercise calories try eating back half for a week or so and see what happens!

I've been told this eat more to lose more. But it just seems so contradictory. But I'm willing to try to make sure I continue to see some type of results.

Thanks EVERYONE so much for you words of wisdom. I can't explain the support I get from this website.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I've been told this eat more to lose more. But it just seems so contradictory. But I'm willing to try to make sure I continue to see some type of results.

Thanks EVERYONE so much for you words of wisdom. I can't explain the support I get from this website.

if you don't fuel the fire, it can't burn. B)
  • bellabutt3
    bellabutt3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever feel like they aren't doing enough, or just sick of seeing no results? If so how do you keep moving forward when you feel so stuck? Lately I feel like my efforts aren't paying off. I could really use some motivation right now.

OMG Yes! Been plugged in faithfully for 2 months this time around. Been so discouraged...really no lbs lost! I track like a fanatic and think about everything I eat. At 1000 cal (or alittle less /more) everyday to compensate for not seriously working out regularly. Maybe it's my age or new meds for hypothyroidism... so darn aggravated...but somehow still hopeful so l havent thrown in the towel just yet!
    Good luck on your journey, got to keep believing in ourselves and the process :)