Do you still eat things with added salt?

Options
xstephnz
xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
I love crisps, crackers etc, but they must have so much salt added. It can't be good for you!!! Not sure if they can be eaten in moderation.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there isn't anything wrong with salt.
    Look at the packages and find a lower salt alternative if it really bothers you - Lays makes a lower salt chip, Cape Cod as well.

But there are some with low blood pressure, like myself, who have been told by a doctor to eat more salt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ...and people with high blood pressure who have been told to limit salt. I still eat things with added salt. But I also do a lot of home cooking where I limit how much I put in. I get all my nuts unsalted now.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Garlic salt is like its own food group in my house.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The sodium content of prepared soups has definitely stopped me from buying them. I eat at restaurants a few times a month, and that food can be very salty. I can tell by how puffy my eyes are the next day. I don't worry about the sodium content of chips and crackers, because I eat modest portions of them.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

yesh!
    garlic is a food group in my place
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options

amen!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Still eat added salt, and in fact my kids require extra salt on top of that. Our bodies need salt, and the more you work out and sweat, apparently the more salt you need, so you don't pass out while at practice. Good thing to know ;)
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Still eat added salt, and in fact my kids require extra salt on top of that. Our bodies need salt, and the more you work out and sweat, apparently the more salt you need, so you don't pass out while at practice. Good thing to know ;)

Ok this is going to sound really dumb (although you wouldn't think that was an issue considering some of the stuff I've said today), but doesn't food already have all the salt it needs?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Double this.

On everything.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »

Ok this is going to sound really dumb (although you wouldn't think that was an issue considering some of the stuff I've said today), but doesn't food already have all the salt it needs?
    Depends on taste preference, really.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I don't have high blood pressure so I eat as much salt as I please.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about salt. Usually I am over MFP's recommended amount before supper and I don't add salt to anything. My wife might when she is cooking but I don't. Just drink plenty of fluid and unless you have a risk factor it is a non issue.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »

If you're working out 3-5 hours of strenuous training a day, apparently not, found that out the hard way. Some people sweat saltier than others, athletes can determine this by licking their sweat after a workout. The saltier, the more replacement salt they need. This can determine which sports drink they should be using, for example. (All of this according to a sports nutritionist, and from our dr from fainting at practice)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Salt is good. I've been known to salt my bacon, lol. Still lost 140lbs, with BP (at 235lbs) of 102/74. No worries.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't go looking for added salt, but I haven't stopped eating chips, crackers, etc. The only effect it has on me is water retention.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't go out of my way to reduce salt unless I'm in a plateau and desperate to see the scale move (sodium causes water retention). However, I have used Nu Salt as an alternative and it's pretty good for most things. It's best as a garnish for taste but I don't know how it would work in a recipe where it performs other functions. It also helps you get more potassium into your diet which I read some broscience thing that said 90% of Americans are not getting their RDA in Potassium. I know I hardly ever hit it myself (usually a mile away even) so I try to use Nu Salt when I find I need to for that reason.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont necessarily worry about it, though i rarely add it when im cooking. hubby adds it to everything (and has the blood pressure to show for it)
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    today I realized that the deli smoked turkey I usually have 2 thin slices cut up in my salad for some protein and it had a ton of salt. I will check for some lower sodium kind next trip to town.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I try to buy lower sodium items. Everything tastes really salty to me these days. I am always over on sodium. Unavoidable really.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I really don't care about salt content, unless it's the day before a weight in haahaa (vain!). I like salty food. It's probably my favourite flavour and I'll take a salty savoury over a sweet food any day. I don't have high blood pressure nor any other issue that would indicate that I need to watch my sodium intake.