Am I stopping weight loss!

Options
I am regularly under my calorie goal by About 1000 because of excersize such as walking and the gym. I am 17st 6lb and my goal is 14st this year. My daily calorie goal is 1900 calories. Will this hinder my weight loss because I'm not having enough calories?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, no. Health, yes. Eat more, add in some calorie sense items or treats to bring you to your net (remembering that you should only eat back 5075% of exercise calories to account for overestimations).
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    you should only eat back 5075% of exercise calories

I wish! But I suppose you really meant 50-75% :wink:
  • eddie388
    eddie388 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys!
  • eddie388
    Options
    I do feel like I'm eating a lot each day and don't feel hungry, it's just I get to like 8pm and I still have 800-1000 calories
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods.

You have a calorie goal. You're meant to reach a goal, not fall short of it. Would you stop running a race halfway for no reason? No. So eat your calories and give your body the fuel it needs.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your gym/exercise burns? Its probable they are inflated anyway. If you are eating as high as 1900 and can still manage your workouts fine, then Id think you are fine. If you get hingry feel free to use a portion of those exercise calories. Dont think you will be impacting your health.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    How are you calculating your gym/exercise burns? Its probable they are inflated anyway. If you are eating as high as 1900 and can still manage your workouts fine, then Id think you are fine. If you get hingry feel free to use a portion of those exercise calories. Dont think you will be impacting your health.

I think he's saying that his goal is 1,900 but he only manages to eat about 900 since he falls short 1,000.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options

999tigger wrote: »

I agree with this. If you feel okay grossing 1900, go for it. Even MFPs experts say that for weight loss, you don't necessarily need to eat back exercise calories. But if you're hungry after a workout or whenever, feel free to use some of your banked calories.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I would also think about the impact low calories has on your metabolism.
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm only on 1300 but if I've done a couple work outs that day I usually fall so short that it won't give me a projection. It happens quite a lot because I don't eat back the exercise calories since they're so clearly over estimated on here! I don't worry about it at all
  • eddie388
    Options
    For a 40 minute work out I just put 20 mins dog walking at 3.5 mph. I don't want to over calculate but I thought 150 calories seemed reasonable for a 40 min workout with free weights alternating days for legs, back, chest etc... If I feel hungry I eat whole grain rice and chicken or tuna steak. I think the majority of time it's just the dreaded sweet tooth kicking in which makes me hungry. I can quench that with a coffee sometimes. So I should aim to eat the 1900 every day, just means increasing portion size across the day. Thanks people!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    eddie388 wrote: »
    I am regularly under my calorie goal by About 1000 because of excersize such as walking and the gym. I am 17st 6lb and my goal is 14st this year. My daily calorie goal is 1900 calories. Will this hinder my weight loss because I'm not having enough calories?

If you're eating 1900 calories and not feeling weak and grumpy you're doing OK - you've got scope to lose at a higher rate than people with less to lose

No it won't hinder your weight loss but if it starts to affect your ability to exercise or mood or general wellbeing then you should look to eat back more exercise calories
  • eddie388
    Options
    Thanks for that!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why is a grown man eating under 1000 calories?
    zjs1mhifi1s6.gif
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My first time on MFP I did not eat my calories back, and I regularly burned 500+ calories per day (I was training for a triathlon). My weight loss slowed as I reached my goal (which is natural anyways I've heard), but the biggest difference was how tired and cranky I was. I actually increased my calories and started eating my exercise calories back and I still lost and was a more tolerable human being to be around.
  • eddie388
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    zjs1mhifi1s6.gif

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    zjs1mhifi1s6.gif
    Love Jifferson.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    you should only eat back 5075% of exercise calories

I wish! But I suppose you really meant 50-75% :wink:

Smartphone keyboards, what did we ever do before them? :D