I'm not sure how much I should be eating.

Options
I'm at a loss. I've been trying on an doff for a couple of years to get into better shape. I recently started logging my food, and going off the label for portion sizing. I still need to pick up a food scale. However I've been doing pretty well.

But my biggest issue is: I'm not sure how many calories I should eat??

I struggled with an eating disorder for a long time, so I constantly find myself not eating enough and not knowing how much I should actually eat. I know you should never ever ever eat below your BMR, which I was dong for a while and I ended up gaining weight and put me right back to the start.

I am 122lbs, trying to get back down to 110-105 at the lowest.
I am 4' 11" and 20 years old.

I have recently started eating health foods. I have to open up my food diary, but I only very recently started logging consistently, and have a few gaps(I'm getting better) but what i have for today is pretty usual.

So far I have tried numerous BMR calculators, and I kept getting around 1,350.
But I bought a sportline HR monitor with a chest band and wore it for an hour and sat at my desk and did nothing but type. And I burned about 74 calories in an hour. So that would put my BMR at 1,800 a day?
I guess I am not sure what the heck to do, which number I should go by?
Its really frustrating and it anyone could offer me a little help as to how much I should be eating, that would be fantastic.

P.S. I do some stretching yoga on my lunch for about 15-20 min a day. Soon I will be starting beginner HIIT workouts.

Thank you!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is doubtful that a HRM can tell you how many calories you are burning while typing. Even if it could, it wouldn't change your BMR. Your BMR is what you would burn if you were in bed all day. You are likely burning about 1,500 calories per day. To lose weight, you should eat 1,200 calories per day.
  • sarcasmbunny
    sarcasmbunny Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When i ate 1200 a day i dodnt loose anything. In fact, i gained weight. Right now I'm at 1400. Should I try 1300? I heard that you're not supposed to eat under your BMR otherwise you risk putting you body into starvation mode, which is the issue I had been having. I was eating 1200 a day and doing T25 for a month, didn't loose a pound or even an inch. I gained weight and my muscle mass didn't change nor did my BMI.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is doubtful that a HRM can tell you how many calories you are burning while typing. Even if it could, it wouldn't change your BMR. Your BMR is what you would burn if you were in bed all day. You are likely burning about 1,500 calories per day. To lose weight, you should eat 1,200 calories per day.
    Her BMR is 1369 calories and you suggest for her to eat at 1200 calories?

OP, don't listen to this.

Now you know your BMR, lightly active (working out 1-3 times per week) has you at 1882 calories for your TDEE.
    Subtract at MOST 20%, which would leave you with around 1506 calories.

If you consider yourself more active, adjust accordingly as below:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

HRM is best for steady state cardio, so for typing at a desk or yoga it's not the best.

• jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've found that eating more (I aim for 1400 to 1500 cals/day) with a focus on whole foods (and plant based) means that I don't really get cravings or need to snack excessively. This has helped me tonnes with weight loss. I always found that at 1200 I would get too hungry and eventually end up binging and then feeling *kitten* about myself.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you previously dealt with an ED, do you still have access to a counselor or dietician? They would really be the best person to help you figure out what a safe calorie goal would be for you.
    An HRM is really only meant for steady-state cardio, it won't be too accurate estimating your calories burned in any other situation.
    I find the MFP calorie goal pretty accurate when I set it for 1/2 pound per week.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What Kimney said. I'd really suggest trying to touch base with a registered dietician who specializes in ED, if you can. They'll be able to help you touch base with where you should be in a way that encourages you to keep health and normalized thoughts about food.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Now you know your BMR, lightly active (working out 1-3 times per week) has you at 1882 calories for your TDEE.

HRM is best for steady state cardio, so for typing at a desk or yoga it's not the best.

It's funny that you tell her to not listen to this and yet you said the exact same thing. If you took 1500 calories and multiplied that by 20% you would get....300. Which 1500-300 equals 1200 calories. The point is that she shouldn't really listen to any of us and speak with a doctor or nutritionist as none of us are medically qualified to answer your question.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's funny that you tell her to not listen to this and yet you said the exact same thing. If you took 1500 calories and multiplied that by 20% you would get....300. Which 1500-300 equals 1200 calories. The point is that she shouldn't really listen to any of us and speak with a doctor or nutritionist as none of us are medically qualified to answer your question.

No ... if you look at what jkwolly posted ... TDEE 1882 - 20% = 1506. You then attempted to subtract another 20% from that number and went wrong at that instant.
  • sarcasmbunny
    Options

This really helps. I was thinking about going up to 1800 but I wasn't sure if that would be right. So I just need to go up 100 calories a day, and hopefully find my sweetspot.
  • khloesdad0124
    Options
    okay let's look at the quote from TimothyFish which is what was quoted by jkwolly. In that quote by TimothyFish is where the math came from which is what I was commenting on. I was not commenting on the math from jkwolly.

My statement was that they were saying that TimothyFish was wrong. I said applying simple logic that the math was still the same either way.
  • khloesdad0124
    Options

This is the quote by TimothyFish...see the numbers there 1500-300 = 1200
  • khloesdad0124
    Options
    Subtract at MOST 20%, which would leave you with around 1506 calories

This is the quote that we are both referencing. Same Math different beginning and end numbers. That's all that I was pointing out.
  • sarcasmbunny
    Options
    I think I may go with 1500 for now. At the moment I cannot necessarily afford access to a dietician. If the need persists though, and this doesn't work then I will seek something out. I was jsut really confused as to how I should go about finding a balance in caloric intake.
  • khloesdad0124
    Options
    For people with disorders previously diagnosed it is hard. Because their is still that psychological fear as well. But good for you for working on yourself. By the way love the headpiece. My daughter has one just like it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

This really helps. I was thinking about going up to 1800 but I wasn't sure if that would be right. So I just need to go up 100 calories a day, and hopefully find my sweetspot.

That's exactly what I plan on doing when I get down to my goal weight. If I get there lol
  • jkwolly
    Options

Subtract at MOST 20%, which would leave you with around 1506 calories

This is the quote that we are both referencing. Same Math different beginning and end numbers. That's all that I was pointing out.
    Yes, we used the same math.

But did you see where he used the wrong starting TDEE? Hence my correction post.

I can definitely say he was wrong when, yes OH LOOK, he was wrong!

OP - best bet is to research as much as you can. Find out an average of the numbers you get, and go from there.
  • jkwolly
    edited March 2015
    Options

OH and eating disorders aside, and I'd definitely get advice from multiple online resources vs. my obese GP.

K, thanks.
  • sarcasmbunny
    Options
    For people with disorders previously diagnosed it is hard. Because their is still that psychological fear as well. But good for you for working on yourself. By the way love the headpiece. My daughter has one just like it.

Thank you, I won't say it was an easy journey, and the disordered thoughts are still there at times. But I know better, logically.
  • sarcasmbunny
    Options

OH and eating disorders aside, and I'd definitely get advice from multiple online resources vs. my obese GP.

K, thanks.

I've done a ton of looking online, and I'm still just as confused. So I figured I would ask people on here, people who have lost the weight and struggled and have found what works for them.
  • khloesdad0124
    Options
    The point being for the people in here is that at the end of the day it's good to get support but we don't have to bash each other. We are all on here for one reason or another. For myself it is to lose weight. For others it's to gain or maintain etc....I am not on here to bash other people