A Study for those who lost weight and how they kept it off for long periods of time.

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
The The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) is tracking over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time.

NWCR Facts

You may find it interesting to know about the people who have enrolled in the registry thus far.

80% of persons in the registry are women and 20% are men.
The "average" woman is 45 years of age and currently weighs 145 lbs, while the "average" man is 49 years of age and currently weighs 190 lbs.
Registry members have lost an average of 66 lbs and kept it off for 5.5 years.
These averages, however, hide a lot of diversity:
Weight losses have ranged from 30 to 300 lbs.
Duration of successful weight loss has ranged from 1 year to 66 years!
Some have lost the weight rapidly, while others have lost weight very slowly--over as many as 14 years.

We have also started to learn about how the weight loss was accomplished: 45% of registry participants lost the weight on their own and the other 55% lost weight with the help of some type of program.
98% of Registry participants report that they modified their food intake in some way to lose weight.
94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.
There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

http://www.nwcr.ws/research/

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing this :)
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a cool study! Thank you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    One hour of exercise a day is a bit scary, to be honest.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've maintained with everything from 1 hr of exercise per week to 8 hours of exercise per week-- you just have to adjust intake accordingly.

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    7 months maintaining and going strong!

Yep check!......78% eat breakfast every day.

Yep check!......75% weigh themselves at least once a week.

Yep check!.......62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.

Yep check!......90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day

This makes me feel even more confident that I have made a life style change I can stick too!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    my scale broke....but otherwise......I can check them all off too!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

lol. what? scary as in intimidating? um. not really. lol
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Not surprised. I've been maintaining for some time. (I'm not big into the numbers, so not sure how many months....at least a year).

I always eat breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day.
    I don't weigh myself once a week.
    I probably watch more TV than that, but I am often on my stationary bike if I'm watching TV.
    Work out at least 1 hour per day....usually more though. I don't think of it as exercise. I'm training....always training for my next event.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Down 89-90 pounds, maintaining for 2+ years and still going strong!

78% eat breakfast every day... Me, breakfast or brunch every day... check!
    75% weigh themselves at least once a week... Me, daily... check!
    62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week... Me, eh NO! I love my TV!
    90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day... Me, well if walking counts as exercise... check!

Never been happier, felt better or had more energy!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I can check all of the above, except the TV thing, more like double those hrs..I also exercise a little more than 1 hr a day cos I enjoy it so much.

I've been maintaining for over a year :smile:
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast everyday, exercise at least 3 days a week by lifting weights and walking on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes, and I weigh myself everyday. I think it's important to weigh yourself daily, so that you can keep on top of things
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I exercise 40 minutes a day in average... 1 hour is seriously pushing it for me. I watch less than 10 hours of TV in average, but there are weeks with 15 hours, and weeks with 1, it depends if my shows are on... and if I watch 3 of those on my bike, does it count? :p
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for 13 years. I lost 20 lb. I am near my ideal weight. Now that I am 58 have found i need to go down a few lb lower because my muscles mass is less. In the last 2 years I have been working with weights to help in this. I need to get the saddle bags off and so my clothes fit me the way they use to. I get people telling me to gain weight be cause I have small hips and thighs. My weight comes on in my middle. It is quite activating for people to be jelous. I have high cholesterol because I don't have right ratio for hips to waist. 33 hips and 31 waist.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 3 years. I exercise more than an hour a day on most days because it is something that I enjoy doing. I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease 2 years ago and going Gluten free has definitely helped keep every pound that I lost off and then some.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

How so? One hour a day isn't that much at all, especially if you like what you're doing. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fifteen minutes four times a day. Work up to it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm in that study. One of my goals was to lose the 30 pounds minimum needed to join (I've lost 41 now) and keep it off for a year (the other study requirement). I actually find being in it really motivating because I want to show that you CAN keep the darn weight off (3 years and counting!). Click on the link in the OP and you can join too.

I look like every other person in that study. I read it when I started MFP because I hoped it would teach me something. It has.

The 'exercise' can be walking. I wear a pedometer and do that - particularly in the summer. In the summer I'll do an hour walk every night but in the winter I do 2 15 minute walks and a lot of running around.
  • NoSFan
    NoSFan Posts: 11
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    The The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) is tracking over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time.

NWCR Facts

You may find it interesting to know about the people who have enrolled in the registry thus far.

80% of persons in the registry are women and 20% are men.
    The "average" woman is 45 years of age and currently weighs 145 lbs, while the "average" man is 49 years of age and currently weighs 190 lbs.
    Registry members have lost an average of 66 lbs and kept it off for 5.5 years.
    These averages, however, hide a lot of diversity:
    Weight losses have ranged from 30 to 300 lbs.
    Duration of successful weight loss has ranged from 1 year to 66 years!
    Some have lost the weight rapidly, while others have lost weight very slowly--over as many as 14 years.

We have also started to learn about how the weight loss was accomplished: 45% of registry participants lost the weight on their own and the other 55% lost weight with the help of some type of program.
    98% of Registry participants report that they modified their food intake in some way to lose weight.
    94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.
    There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
    75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
    90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

http://www.nwcr.ws/research/

Very informative. Thanks for the information.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I exercise 40 minutes a day in average... 1 hour is seriously pushing it for me. I watch less than 10 hours of TV in average, but there are weeks with 15 hours, and weeks with 1, it depends if my shows are on... and if I watch 3 of those on my bike, does it count? :p

The hour wouldn't have to be consecutive, I'd say. At least it doesn't have to be to affect health and longevity where in recent studies it appears that 45 minutes is optimum (https://blog.personalcapital.com/retirement-planning/keys-living-longer-90-research-study/) -- can't say positively about weight-loss-maintenance.

55835802.png

• shavon007
    shavon007 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing this great info