I will weigh everything now

Options
For the past 15 years, I have always been fairly regimented about measuring serving sizes of everything and anything- but mostly using measuring cups and spoons. Well, I got a new kitchen scale this week, and I think it's pretty safe to say there's no turning back now. I always wondered if weighing as opposed to measuring really makes that much of a difference. Spoiler alert: IT DOES. This was beautifully illustrated for me today. I opened up a can of black beans. The serving size info on the side of the can said there were 3.5 servings inside, at 1/2 c. per serving. I got out the 1/2 cup measuring scoop, and loaded it up with beans. I peered down at the beans that remained in the can, and noticed that it looked as though far less than 2.5 servings were left over. Hmmmm. I weighed the beans in my so-called "1/2 cup" measuring scoop (and yes, I did hit "tare"), and lo and behold, they weighed in at 7 ounces. I'm not pretending to understand how this is possible- maybe there's some sort of imaginary dotted line on the side of the measuring cup that you aren't supposed to surpass- but in any event, that's a huge discrepancy! I wonder how frequently this kind of mistake has been adding hundreds of calories to my bottom line.

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    now go weigh your usuall two tablespoons of peanut butter. ill wait here with tissues...............
  • Mapes84
    Mapes84 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    now go weigh your usuall two tablespoons of peanut butter. ill wait here with tissues...............

OMG NOOOOO I don't want to...don't make me...don't make me :'( Reality, you are so harsh.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mapes84 wrote: »

OMG NOOOOO I don't want to...don't make me...don't make me :'( Reality, you are so harsh.

Lol yeah. I took one tablespoon of almond butter the other day for kicks, and weighed it... it weighed almost the same as a serving of two tablespoons. Good times.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    :s
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter serving is tragic when weighed.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm lucky that I learned this lesson early on, weighed my lunch meat slices out of curiosity, was getting 50% more grams per serving, therefore 50% more calories.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For the past 15 years, I have always been fairly regimented about measuring serving sizes of everything and anything- but mostly using measuring cups and spoons. Well, I got a new kitchen scale this week, and I think it's pretty safe to say there's no turning back now. I always wondered if weighing as opposed to measuring really makes that much of a difference. Spoiler alert: IT DOES. This was beautifully illustrated for me today. I opened up a can of black beans. The serving size info on the side of the can said there were 3.5 servings inside, at 1/2 c. per serving. I got out the 1/2 cup measuring scoop, and loaded it up with beans. I peered down at the beans that remained in the can, and noticed that it looked as though far less than 2.5 servings were left over. Hmmmm. I weighed the beans in my so-called "1/2 cup" measuring scoop (and yes, I did hit "tare"), and lo and behold, they weighed in at 7 ounces. I'm not pretending to understand how this is possible- maybe there's some sort of imaginary dotted line on the side of the measuring cup that you aren't supposed to surpass- but in any event, that's a huge discrepancy! I wonder how frequently this kind of mistake has been adding hundreds of calories to my bottom line.

Did you rinse/drain the beans first before using a measuring cup?

The scales are awesome and the difference between volume and weight can work in your favor - for me, I actually got MORE peanut butter for my gram measure than tablespoon. And one scoop of whey protein powder turned out to be 21 g not the 28g on the package. And my bananas weigh in between 88-98g. I use the scale consistently now.

• healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've actually found the opposite in quite a few cases. I will weigh it out and actually get to eat MORE than what I would if I had been measuring with cups/spoons.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Was this before or after you drained the liquid?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had that happen with canned beans. I realized too that the nutrition value for the WEIGHT of the beans PROBABLY includes that icky sludge that most people rinse off - so from now on I'm going to weigh my beans out first, then rinse them. That will be sad, too. Because I have been rinsing first, THEN weighing...and there is NO WAY there are 3.5 servings in the can once you rinse them. So unrinsed MUST be the way they are calculating it.
  • Mapes84
    Mapes84 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Yeah I had that happen with canned beans. I realized too that the nutrition value for the WEIGHT of the beans PROBABLY includes that icky sludge that most people rinse off - so from now on I'm going to weigh my beans out first, then rinse them. That will be sad, too. Because I have been rinsing first, THEN weighing...and there is NO WAY there are 3.5 servings in the can once you rinse them. So unrinsed MUST be the way they are calculating it.

I didn't even think about the bean sludge. I drained/rinsed the entire can before weighing. I bet you're right- I bet the product weight and nutritional info reflects said bean sludge.

• moose_mama
    moose_mama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've actually found the opposite in quite a few cases. I will weigh it out and actually get to eat MORE than what I would if I had been measuring with cups/spoons.

Me too!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Not sure I understand this post. Why was it shocking that the 1/2 cup of beans weighed 7 ounces? Were you expecting some other number? Are you perhaps confusing fluid ounces (a unit of volume) with avoirdupois ounces (a unit of weight)?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

where is the like button for that???? LOLOL

pb2 is my savior. not the same, but close enough to satisfy a craving LOLOLOL
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Bean sludge. . .. . .I like this term. . . . . . yum. . . .mix in some ham broth. . . . .green beans and ham broth. . . . . . . .okay getting hungry.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    new favorite words: bean sludge
  • jefflloyd86
    jefflloyd86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found the opposite to be true as well where weighing something turned out to be more than the measuring spoon amounts.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Ok- I will now start doing this- I weigh most things but not all of them-- better start now! I have the damn scale might as well use it for everything!
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This is the first thing in my next shopping list! I need one...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A can of bean sludge?
    pili90 wrote: »
    This is the first thing in my next shopping list! I need one...

The bean can probably includes the liquid in the weight. One way to get it 'right' would be to rinse, then weigh the total beans in grams. Divide by 3.5 to get 1 serving. And know you're getting a little bonus, because you're skipping a few bean sludge calories.