Calories in a huge Turkish Pizza?

jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what the estimated calories would be for a 33 cm (13 inch) Turkish pizza. Yesterday a place in our neighborhood started selling them and I couldn't resist trying one since I love Turkish Pizza's and everyone said how amazing they were. I got everything on it besides Sambal sauce.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Have you checked the calorie database here?
  • jenniator
    Yes I did :(
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    What is Turkish pizza? Sound like that could be yummy
  • jenniator
    edited March 2015
    Mpol2 wrote: »
    What is Turkish pizza? Sound like that could be yummy

Oh it absolutely is delicious! It's not really common in America, Cananda, ect. It's mostly common in Europe. That's why it's a little bit more difficult to find out the calories for it, especially since Europe isn't really big on calorie labels or stuff like that. A turkish Pizza dough similar to a pizza/tortilla, but it's really thin and with minced meat on it. It is cooked in a little oven to heat it up. Then you put vegetables on it like lettuce, onion, tomato, and parsley. After the vegetables are on, a garlic sauce goes on it and you can choice if you want a really spicy sauce (Sambal). Then it is rolled up like a burrito and you eat it. So good!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Search for a "Lahmacun".
  • jenniator
    edited March 2015
    Thank u :) WOW!! Tried it on MFP and it says it's 1,529 calories :o I really hope it's not that much ha ha. Not sure what's right though since I get a lot of different result when I search other places.
  • MinnesotaNice507
    MinnesotaNice507 Posts: 60 Member
    I don't know, but that looks and sounds delicious. Sometimes when I can't find something, I add all pieces of it, i.e. The crust, meat, veggies, etc.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Also not sure, but that sounds delicious. For 13", I'd guess between 1000-1200. Maybe average the results you get from searching?
  • jenniator
    It really is delicious :D Too bad no one knows about it though. I'm thinking it is around 1,000 calories. It's difficult to have average calories from the searching results since they come in different sizes.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    wishfull thinking wont help.
    its easily 1500, probably closer to 2000.
    log before you eat IF you want to avoid this nonsense in future.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Looks like a burrito.
  • jenniator
    cw106 wrote: »
    wishfull thinking wont help.
    its easily 1500, probably closer to 2000.
    log before you eat IF you want to avoid this nonsense in future.

There's no way it can be close to 2,000 calories. A normal one is 449 calories and the big one is about twice that size. So no more than 1,200 calories.
  • jenniator
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Looks like a burrito.

It does ha ha :P But it taste different, but really good.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    A medium thin crust Pizza Put Supreme Pizza is approximately 12 inches in diameter, and comes in around 1840 kCal.

Eating a 13 inch pizza prepared as you described is gonna be a lot closer to 1840 than to 1000.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Sounds like a greek donair, pretty common here.
  • jenniator
    Thank you
    wonko221 wrote: »
    A medium thin crust Pizza Put Supreme Pizza is approximately 12 inches in diameter, and comes in around 1840 kCal.

Eating a 13 inch pizza prepared as you described is gonna be a lot closer to 1840 than to 1000.

Thank you, but you cannot compare a pizza to to a turkish pizza, they are very different foods. A turkish pizza for me is more similar to a burrito. The crust is like a tortilla. The crust is really thin, the stuffing are veggies, not cooked in anything bad like oil, ect. So there's no way it could me that many calories. I still say around 1,000-1,200 :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    jenniator wrote: »
    Thank you

Thank you, but you cannot compare a pizza to to a turkish pizza, they are very different foods. A turkish pizza for me is more similar to a burrito. The crust is like a tortilla. The crust is really thin, the stuffing are veggies, not cooked in anything bad like oil, ect. So there's no way it could me that many calories. I still say around 1,000-1,200 :)

This seems reasonable. The crust usually has the most calories in a veggie pizza.
  • jenniator
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Sounds like a greek donair, pretty common here.

It does look similar to that! But the greek donair looks like it has a biggest crust and pieces of meat inside. :P The Turkish pizza has a thinner crust and minced meat.
  • jenniator
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Thank you

This seems reasonable. The crust usually has the most calories in a veggie pizza.

Yeah I understand the crust has the most calories. But since the crust is really thin, that's why I think 1,000-1,200 is a good estimate. Also all the other sites I checked listed a normal sized one at 450 calories the most.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    I think you're probably right about the calories being around 1200. A Chipotle burrito has about 1000-1200 calories & that looks pretty similar. However, if the tortilla is grilled on some kind of oil, that could raise your calories. It's hard to tell from the picture, if it was cooked on a grill in oil.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited March 2015
    I still say around 1,000-1,200 :)

Say it all you want. You're on YOUR journey.

That was flippant of me.. i apologize.

I was curious, and found a link to make Turkish Pizza with nutritional information:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/turkish_style_pizza.html

it makes a 14.5"x9.5" inch pizza. It estimates 6 slices total, at 286 calories per slice.

What you had may or may not have been like this. If it was, you are looking at about 1716 calories for a full pizza.

Your comments sound a lot like denial. That may be because it's an issue i face - that's how i let myself get unhealthy.

Regardless, i wish you well.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2015
    Noodle797 wrote: »
    I think you're probably right about the calories being around 1200. A Chipotle burrito has about 1000-1200 calories & that looks pretty similar. However, if the tortilla is grilled on some kind of oil, that could raise your calories. It's hard to tell from the picture, if it was cooked on a grill in oil.

A Chipotle burrito also has rice and a lot of meat in it too. So it's strange that it would be around the same calories as a turkish pizza. A turkish pizza is just baked in a little oven without oil or anything :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Just lol at this thread. You start off by asking a question but you already have the answer in mind and proceed to argue with people who make suggestions. Not as though you can un eat it.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Try searching the MFP database for "lahmacun". That is the Armenian/Turkish word for the dish.
  • jenniator
    minizebu wrote: »
    Try searching the MFP database for "lahmacun". That is the Armenian/Turkish word for the dish.

Thank you. :) I found this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/lahmacun-lahmacun-turkish-beef-mince-with-ingredients-grilled-then-lettuce-tomatoes-13321742

It says one portion, but it doesn't say what size 1 portion is. lol

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Browse the other entries to get a feel for what weights/sizes the other entries indicate and then just choose one, among the many. Any of them is going to be a shot in the dark, but it's probably better than just making up a number out of thin air.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited March 2015
    That looks delicious.

I'd peg it around 1200-1500. Some tortillas, which are even thinner than that, pack 500+ calories alone for a 12 inch. Plus meat, oils, sauces, grill top oils....

But, when in doubt on this stuff, I round up. I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Tough to tell, the tortilla is probably 300-400 calories alone, then there's the meat and the sauce...
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    All I know is that I would now like to try a turkish pizza