Farmers Market Fruit

Options
I go to the farmers market at least once a week if not more often with my husband when he gets what he needs for the restaurant. I always get my produce there because, well, it's easier. He knows all the farmers and he knows which ones are actually letting things ripen on vines in the sun and which are growing in the green house.

Anyway, here in California we are lucky enough to get a lot of the high summer fruit and veggies earlier in the year than other parts of the country because we get warm earlier in the year. This means stone fruit season is upon us. Stone fruit meaning anything with a pit like apricots, peaches, plums, etc. Also, cherries are in season, my favorite! Now we all know that market veggies taste better and they are much better for you than what gets picked halfway ripe and shipped halfway across the country. Today, I realized just how amazing the market fruit is! I have NEVER in my life had apricots that had so much flavor. You know when you get a bag of cherries at the grocery every fourth one or so is flavorless? My whole bag is incredible. Melons are also in season and I really like cantaloup. They had samples out so I had to taste. It almost brought me to my knees.

I guess my whole point is to tell everyone here to do yourself a favor and get your fruit from the market this summer. You will be shocked by what you find. I certainly have been. Plus, you help your local farmers. It's a win-win!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Agree! So glad it is almost summer here and all the market stands are opening. (PNW)
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to live in a town that has a weekly farmer's market ALL YEAR LONG! I love it!

And I am so glad that cherries are in season again! I can eat those like candy!yay
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    We don't have a very large market here, but when I go I get seedlings of plants for my porch. We get tomato plants and pepper plants (fresh habaneros, jalapenos, banana) and we love that! Homemade salsa all summer!
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am part of a local co-op and the samer is true withthe vegetables too! They may not always be the prettiest but they are so flavorful!!!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I hit a little market yesterday for some yellow squash and it was AWESOME!!!!!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I work at a farmers market promoting and selling indoor worm composting units. Supporting the people at these markets is a win win because you are buying local, supporting small businesses and getting great products that are generally so much better for you. Yeah for farmer's markets!!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    We have alot of Farmers Market here, I too am in California, not far from you in the San Fernando Valley. Lots of my MFP friends still have awful weather and I feel bad when we have such beautiful days like today. I am sure in a month or so we will be the ones suffering through the heat so it all evens out.

Great reminder and supports alot of local growers and farmers who need our business!

Thanks!
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I work at a farmers market promoting and selling indoor worm composting units. Supporting the people at these markets is a win win because you are buying local, supporting small businesses and getting great products that are generally so much better for you. Yeah for farmer's markets!!

I just bought the Worm Factory 360! Do you sell that one? I have to set it up, well my husband has to set it up, but we are very excited! :)
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Next month I start my 2nd year with a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program at a local organic farm. Last year their selection of fruit and veg was ridiculous...squash, corn, greens, tomatoes, peppers, melons, berries, and exotic stuff like kohlrabi and jicama. There is nothing like eating produce that was literally in the ground just a few hours before you picked it up, can't get any fresher than that. I can't wait to start making those weekend trips to the farm again with basket in hand.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I agree, everything from the garden is soooo much better tasting. Especially tomatoes! The ones in the store look like tomatoes but are nothing like a garden tomato that's for sure! :)