Did I gain a pound or am I bloated?

Options
So, usually at night I am 4 - 5 lbs heavier than I was in the morning ... But last night I ate some pretty salty food, I have awful gas AND constipation (I know, TMI..)  and  right before I weighed myself I drank a giant glass of rice milk... And this time I was 6 lbs heavier... I've never seen that number ever before, and I know I'm probably being irrational... But I'm still kinda freaking out.

My clothes don't feel different or tighter or anything and I haven't really changed my diet or exercise routine.. So, was it just a recipe for disaster or did I actually gain a pound?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's water retention, wait a couple of days, drink lots of water and it will dissipate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So you ate salty food, and drank a giant glass of rice milk at the end of the day, weighed yourself and you were up a couple pounds? You're fine.

One time I ate 7 rice cakes and 4 cups of tea at the end of the day and my waist measurement was an entire inch bigger.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    check your sodium intake for that day. If it is over what mfp says you should have it is definitely because of the salty food. if you normally weigh that much heavier at night than in the morning that is just fluctuation and the one extra pound is probably not real weight unless you have been eating way over your calorie level.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You're always going to be heavier at night that you were in the morning, after consuming food and beverages all day! And daily fluctuations, even in morning weight, are completely normal. Salt, a new workout, not enough water, hormones - all factors that can influence the scale and mess with your head. Don't let it.

Weigh at the same time of day, morning preferably, and under the same circumstances as much as possible. For many, it's right after waking, using the restroom, and in pjs or nekkid. Daily, weekly, every two weeks, whatever floats your boat, but if you do the daily routine, just know that the ups and downs are totally normal, and watch your overall trend for actual progress (or lack of it). Even better - grab a tape measure and start tracking your measurements, and snap some photos for comparison down the road. These methods are more reliable, and will often show you true progress while the scale is busy messing with your head.
  • MelanieBallantino
    MelanieBallantino Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it was what you ate and drank combined with being backed up. It's normal for weight to vary from day to day.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    every time i step on the scale at night (because I feel like I've had a good eating day), I step right off with the mantra -- don't weigh yourself at night, don't weigh yourself at night....LOL!