When you think you are doing everything right but not working, what did you change?

Options
chatnel
chatnel Posts: 688 Member
Curious to hear about those success stories as I hear alot of people (myself included) baffled on to why the scale is not moving after exercising and logging. My eating is pretty good, I mostly weigh my food and exercise regularly but I am still at heaviest weight, just does not make sense.

Were you in the same boat? when that scale started moving what did you do differenly? was it incorrect logging of food, underestimating calories burnt exercising, medical condition or other?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone who isnt losing is either logging theyre food wrong, over estimating theyre calorie burn, or both. Sometimes people just dont know what to set theyre calories at
  • jhackwell2
    jhackwell2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Despite being at the gym 5-7 hours a week and eating well, I was continually gaining weight. All medical tests came back normal. It took 2 years of trying harder, working harder, pushing more before someone finally said, "I think you're just stressed out." So I started slowing down, which felt like the opposite of what I should be doing. I cut back on work by 5 hours a week, I starting going to yoga, I took more walks with the dog (instead of always running) and I took a mindfulness course. About a month later I started seeing results. We really underestimate the effect that stress has on us. Struggling to lose weight is especially stressful because you think about it many times a day, every day. I had to take a hard, honest look at my life, my schedule, and my expectations and learn to be kind to myself.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice even for those who dont need to lose!
  • megsb1991
    megsb1991 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Change what you're doing!
    I couldnt understand how I'd lost 6 pounds in 4 weeks and then it just stopped and nothing was coming off.
    I was road running, using the treadmill, weighing my food, counting everything but nothing worked!
    So I stopped. And allowed myself a moment of putting on my problem solving head. If somethings not working, what do you do? Change what you're doing!
    Last week, I switched from endless road running and using the treadmill to interval training and weight lifting. I swapped the scales for a measuring tape. And I swapped mind numbing anxiety of 'WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??' for 'chill, lets do some nice yoga'.
    Have I lost weight? Dunno havent checked yet. Lost inches? Dunno, haven't checked yet.
    Do I feel better? Hell yeh! I feel stronger, more mindful and my boyfriend said my butt looks good!
    I'm happier. Staying at the same weight for a few weeks is absolutely fine by me for a while.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I simply cut my daily calorie allowance which tipped me from glacial rate of loss to the expected/desired rate of loss.

It appears that either:
    1) My actual TDEE is lower than calculators estimate.
    2) My food logging wasn't precise enough.
    3) My exercise calories were exagerated.

Now looking back I think it's was actually a combination of all three....
    1) I believe it to be true (unfortunately - I like food!).
    2) True - but I'm a big believer that consistency is more important than accuracy.
    So although I could have tightened up my logging it's a bit of a chore long term to weigh everything (I use scales for the calorie dense items or those where it's easy to underestimate servings).
    3) Using a more sophisticated set of tools I estimate that my fairly basic HRM at the time (Polar FT7) was about 10% too generous.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    If you do what you've always done, you get the results you've always got.
    All of these posts are telling you the same thing.
    Change it up. Do something different.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    jhackwell2 wrote: »
    Despite being at the gym 5-7 hours a week and eating well, I was continually gaining weight. All medical tests came back normal. It took 2 years of trying harder, working harder, pushing more before someone finally said, "I think you're just stressed out." So I started slowing down, which felt like the opposite of what I should be doing. I cut back on work by 5 hours a week, I starting going to yoga, I took more walks with the dog (instead of always running) and I took a mindfulness course. About a month later I started seeing results. We really underestimate the effect that stress has on us. Struggling to lose weight is especially stressful because you think about it many times a day, every day. I had to take a hard, honest look at my life, my schedule, and my expectations and learn to be kind to myself.

This scares me. I'm a natural born bundle of stress, and getting rid of this last ten or so pounds is really aggravating me, and I might be just biting myself in the butt with that. I guess I should chill out and have some patience for once.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    1. Tightened up my logging. Worked every time.
    2. Tried to be patient. How long have you been "doing everything right"? Are you doing a new exercise routine? That will make you retain water. I gained weight the first few weeks and almost always see a bounce in weight the day after lifting.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you right now. 8.8 lbs down in month one, 1 lbs down so far in month 2. Reflecting on February, these are the things I think attributed to this.

1. one week of only working out twice, plus having people in town, so eating out more out and having more drinks than usual.
    2. the rest of February, i have been doing very well, and I am noticing my athletic performance has improved. I am getting good at the workouts, so I think it's time to shake them up a little. My trainer is working on new cardio workouts for me and is starting to give me more challenging exercises.

I weigh in/get body fat checked at the gym on saturday, so that will tell me if my body fat as decreased even if the weight has stayed relatively the same.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I tightened up on my weighing foods and and went from logging most things to everything, especially the olive oil or butter I used to saute my foods. Even a swig from a Dr. Pepper was included in my logs. Doesn't seem like much but that 1/4 a can of Dr. Pepper I was having was about 40 calories, that eyeballed amount of peanut butter was 50 calories more than what I had logged. You do this 5 or 6 times a day and you have racked up over 200 calories each day. My other problem that I noticed was that my daily calorie burn was set too high and according to my Polar Loop I was burning about 300 calories less each day that what I had thought. Between my inaccurate logging and incorrect accurate level, I was 500-600 calories off of my goal each day!

Once I changed these things, I have been consistently losing weight each week. Some weeks more than other and I think that is partly attributed to getting several more thousand steps in each day.

Also, I use my HRM's calorie burn estimates instead of MFP because MFP estimates mine to be 2 and sometimes 3 times more than my HRM. Sad to see so few calories burned, but this has definitely helped me to lose weight.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    chatnel wrote: »
    I mostly weigh my food

Change this, at least for a bit, would be my recommendation.

• chatnel
    Options
    Some great responses thank you. Maybe I am stressing too much about it just trying to get down for my wedding in 3 months. On the positive i do feel much fitter and stronger and it's a good feeling.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calorie counting. Make sure that you calories are set for the correct amount. Either letting MFP do it, or figure out your tdee and subtract about 500 calories. It's essential that you weigh, measure and log all your food. There's a saying, good health is made in the gym and weight loss in the kitchen.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I got a Jawbone UP24 and it really set me straight. I wasn't moving nearly as much as I thought I was a work which meant I was consuming more calories than previously thought. It was pretty eye opening actually.
  • chatnel
    Options
    So frustrating how hard it is to lose but how easy it is to gain
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You loose weight when you have a calorie deficit. The responses above all tend to reflect this. Best tactics is a lower carb diet as it helps minimise hunger. Reduction in food eaten is 80% of weight loss. Exercise is pretty much a waste of time. Makes you healthier but not lighter. And most calorie over eating is too much dairy or too many nuts. Many find their weight loss sabotaged by minibinges. (These are unforeseen social events generally). I found a 5:2 diet easiest to keep my calorie deficit at 20% of TDEE. So that helped 1kg per week for 12 weeks.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For me at least, I had to take a break. After a weight stand-still (gaining and losing the same pound for like 2 weeks), my college had a bunch of snow days that meant I couldn't weigh myself at the gym or exercise there. I was eating ramen and vending machine snacks and really mellowed out during the snow days, and I swore I'd go back and have gained 5 pounds or something. The opposite happened; I'd lost like 3 pounds during the time I gave myself a break. Stressing about weight loss doesn't help, at all. It's my achilles heel to always need to know how much I weigh every day. Having that taken from me made me chill out and take a breather, give my muscles a rest for once, and it worked. I don't know if that's helpful for your situation, but it worked for me :)
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit like that right now. Since 5th January I've been doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (6 workouts every week, minimum calorie burn 250 cals per workout and that's being conservative) and on top of that I've either been walking for an hour (minimum calorie burn 250 calories, again being fairly conservative) and some days I even do an extra cardio workout DVD or gym based workout on the machines for 40-45 minutes too.

In addition, I've been counting calories and eating 500 calories under TDEE (which is 1000 calories approx.) plus eating around 500 of my exercise calories back.

For the past 2 weeks I've also been doing the 5:2 fast diet, which means eating only 550 calories 2 days a week, therefore creating an additional deficit on those days of 1000 calories per day.

All in all, that should DEFINITELY mean I'm on track to lose at least 1lb per week, but it should be more like 1.5lbs.

In reality I've lost a total of 8lbs in almost 9 weeks, but nothing at all for around 10 days and the majority of my weight loss so far was in the first few weeks.

I weigh all my food, never leave anything out and log less exercise calories than I probably actually do so it's very frustrating when I'm not losing as much as I should be but don't know where to go from here.

I'm planning on continuing the way I have been, because I can't eat less without feeling very tired due to the exercise I'm doing and I'm emjoying it and don't want to stop. I still have over 20lbs to lose and I just can't see how I'm going to get the rest of it off.
  • mikeyninja
    mikeyninja Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I plateau I usually have to increase intensity. Usually adding weight and powering through reps. Best of luck.
  • sigmarhose
    sigmarhose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful. I have wondered why the harder I work to lose, I gain. the stress of the job, home, school, etc. really plays into this. I find when I walk in the mornings during the summer, I lose more weight then when I go to the gym in the winter. Hmmm....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!