Shakeology

Options

Replies

• I've always wondered why people are willing to replace a meal with a drink unless they're pressed for time, and even then there are more satisfying quick food options. As a random glass of something to drink, I understand, but a meal? Do you really feel satisfied after a liquid meal? Even as a morbidly obese person who knew diddly about nutrition I remember refusing any meal replacement shakes that were pushed at me with a simple "why on earth would I do this to myself?"

I typically agree but I am currently taking the Nature's Bounty shake because it's a 3 in 1 protein, vitamin & probiotic shake. I only buy it when it's on sale for half the price, then I'd also have an additional $2 or $4 coupon. It's so much more economical, than buying it separately. I recently saw people on here raving about Quest Bars, they were $2.50 each on sale; so a protein shake is cheaper.

I remember when I had my wisdom teeth taking out, I had to practically consume only things that I couldn't chew; so my food choices were limited to yogurt, baby food & Slim Fast shakes (these were the days before Ensure shakes existed etc.) I actually gained weight from the Slim Fast shakes because I binged on them since I loved the taste of them. I also remember when they had their own macaroni & cheese, I overate on those also; they didn't sustain me long enough.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why people are willing to replace a meal with a drink unless they're pressed for time, and even then there are more satisfying quick food options. As a random glass of something to drink, I understand, but a meal? Do you really feel satisfied after a liquid meal? Even as a morbidly obese person who knew diddly about nutrition I remember refusing any meal replacement shakes that were pushed at me with a simple "why on earth would I do this to myself?"

I typically agree but I am currently taking the Nature's Bounty shake because it's a 3 in 1 protein, vitamin & probiotic shake. I only buy it when it's on sale for half the price, then I'd also have an additional $2 or $4 coupon. It's so much more economical, than buying it separately. I recently saw people on here raving about Quest Bars, they were $2.50 each on sale; so a protein shake is cheaper.

I remember when I had my wisdom teeth taking out, I had to practically consume only things that I couldn't chew; so my food choices were limited to yogurt, baby food & Slim Fast shakes (these were the days before Ensure shakes existed etc.) I actually gained weight from the Slim Fast shakes because I binged on them since I loved the taste of them. I also remember when they had their own macaroni & cheese, I overate on those also; they didn't sustain me long enough.

I'm not against shakes at all, heck I sometimes drink protein shakes because I dislike most calorie-efficient protein sources, but I never use them as a meal replacement. It just won't fill me up enough to last so why do that to myself when I can have decent meals AND a protein shake as a snack on most days? A 400 calorie meal replacement shake? No thanks, If I'm to drink my calories and feel like splurging I'll stick to milk shake which more than 10 folds cheaper for the same amount of calories.
  • jmurguia78
    jmurguia78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    :o really
    Shakeology comes packaged with a prop 65 warning in California. That was a turn off.

:o

• jmurguia78
    Options
    Thank you all for the Insight
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Very expensive, would avoid it. Not sure that it is a bad product but the price is just borderline ripoff. You can get all the same stuff if you just eat properly.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I tried Shakeology a few months ago by purchasing a few trial packets on eBay. I'm glad I did this VS buying from Beachbody because I found both flavors that I tried awful. I couldn't stand them. I ended up throwing the the other two packets away. There are better shakes out there if you look around, or you can make them yourself. No need to fall into the Shakeology trap.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If your just looking for a quick meal....any protein shake/smoothie will work.

personally, i like the taste of body logix chocolate protein powder. 29.99 for a large tub, 24g protein, 122 cals.

mixed with 2%milk, its 245cals and keeps me reasonably full for a few hours. If i add a banana and some greens, i stay full longer without too many more calories.
  • jmurguia78
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone , Saved me some $$'s
  • jmurguia78
    Options
    No way around it lol sometimes convenience can be pricy"liftingbro;31559368"]Very expensive, would avoid it. Not sure that it is a bad product but the price is just borderline ripoff. You can get all the same stuff if you just eat properly.[/quote]

• skinnynat1
    skinnynat1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i drink it every day
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    amixiam wrote: »
    Shakeology isn't necessarily bad, but it is a rip-off. Visit your local Vitamin Shoppe and get Vega One or PLNT or Spirutein, etc. There are plenty of brands that are better for half the price.

I totally agree. I drink Vega One shakes for breakfast most mornings (mixed with a few bananas) and they are great! The new formula is GMO free so you know there's nothing synthetic in there either.

I do not believe you need Shakeology to be successful on a Beachbody program.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    skinnynat1 wrote: »
    i drink it every day

My condolences to your wallet.
  • jmurguia78
    Options
    Ok this the second time someone has recommended Vega One and there's one that's GMO free ... Sold
  • skinnynat1
    skinnynat1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i get 25 percent off my shakes and programs
  • skinnynat1 wrote: »
    i drink it every day

My condolences to your wallet.

Lol you're the Comedian here!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    skinnynat1 wrote: »
    i get 25 percent off my shakes and programs

Yes you do because you are also a Beach Body coach which is why you say you drink it every day.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why people are willing to replace a meal with a drink unless they're pressed for time, and even then there are more satisfying quick food options. As a random glass of something to drink, I understand, but a meal? Do you really feel satisfied after a liquid meal? Even as a morbidly obese person who knew diddly about nutrition I remember refusing any meal replacement shakes that were pushed at me with a simple "why on earth would I do this to myself?"

I make a protein smoothie every day for lunch. Partly because it helps me my protein goals and because it's delicious. The things i add would be hard to eat when separate on a plate.

I add:

2 scoops of protein powder
    1 raw egg
    1tbs chia seeds
    1tbs wheatgerm
    25g kale
    30g Fibre powder
    whole banana
    15g coconut oil
    And almond milk and blueberries.

It just tastes really good when mixed together, but not so nice when eaten separately, especially the powders/seeds ;)
  • betharoo0
    betharoo0 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to drink shakeo, I personally felt better drinking it but I think it's the maca powder in it. I believe it's the first ingredient. I would just buy that powder and incorporate it into another shake. I have toyed with the idea of beachbody coaching but never jumped in. It is too expensive even with the coach discount. I personally also like plain ole whey protein with various mix ins such as chia, greens, etc... Almased is a good one also. Hope I spelled that right
  • betharoo0
    betharoo0 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh yea shakeo did not keep me satisfied. I would be hungry in a hour. So I would add half a scoop of whey with the shakeo! Man the calories! I finished the bag and never ordered another thank god I didn't do auto ship!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat food.

It's available almost everywhere.