Whole grain vs whole wheat

Options
does anybody know if and what the difference is between these two? Which ones healthier ... Etc.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    wheat's a grain, so no idea. Personally I've only ever seen pigeons eating whole grains, humans generally start from flour. I guess it depends on you linguistic and labelling scenario.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Wheat is a grain… but it's only one kind. Whole grain could have different grains or multiple grains.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Whole Grain could technically mean any kind of grain (wheat, oats, barley, etc.).

Whole Wheat is, well, whole wheat.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    well, i suppose whole wheat would be just the whole wheat grain, where as whole grain could be wheat and/or other grains too. I'm sure the ingredients of the product would specify which grains are included. 'Healthier' is relative. do you consider 'healthier' to mean more nutrients, more fiber, balanced macros, low calorie? The only way to decide which is healthier according to your interpretation would be to compare the nutritional information for comparable whole wheat/whole grain products.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Whichever one has a better nutrition/fiber profile on the bag. It all depends on brand.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    whole grain includes all three parts of the grain. bran endosperm and germ. whole wheat some of the kernel is removed which results in a loss of germ.