Should I skip my "Check-In"?

Options
Not sure if this is the right category for this post. I am looking for some opinions and perhaps some of the community's thoughts and how you use the "Check-In" feature of MFP. Here's what's going on:

Wednesdays are my "Check-in" day. I stopped weighing myself daily because I don't want to get obsessive about the number on the scale (it's happened before); instead, I weigh myself once a week and I feel that it gives me a better data point for my progress. So far I've lost around 5lbs with an average of about 0.8lbs a week. This week (today), however, I weighed in 1.5lbs heavier than last week and I'm debating wether or not I want to "Check-in" and add the weight gain to my stats or if I want to skip the week and work harder, hoping for better results next Wednesday.

So, what do you do? Are you consistent with your "Check-in"? Or do you only "Check-in" when there is "progress"? What are your thoughts? I know I'm not the only one who has had these kinds of set backs.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I never added gains while losing because I knew they were not fat gains. I knew I'd been in a steady deficit, and it was impossible that I'd added fat. I also knew that if I stayed the course, I'd see the loss I'd earned later. And I always did :)

So I suppose my question is: Did you eat at a surplus, such that you may have gained fat? If so, I'd log it (though even then I'd probably wait another week). If not, I'd chalk it up to water retention and ignore it.

Some people like seeing the ups and downs, so they'd log any weight change. I am not one of those people. It's up to you which you want to be.
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. So my daily allowance is 1340 calories and I'm usually under my limit because I work-out 5 days a week and "earn" extra calories with that so I end up eating around 1450 or so since I'm eating back like 75% of my those calories. I also had a heavier dinner last night so I'm thinking the "weight gain" might have something to do with that, even though I was still under my limit.

I might just do another weigh-in tomorrow and just see if there's any change.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Skipping the check in does not make the weight disappear. It comes down to how honest do you want to be with yourself.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You weigh what you weigh whether you log it or not, right? The usefulness of MFP is enhanced by accurate logging, and for check-ins, this means regular data points over time.

If you get in the habit of fudging the data now by delaying, you will reduce the usefulness of the log.

If, instead, you log yourself at 1.5 lbs over right now, i suspect that in the long term you will come to see that individual weigh-ins are frequently a bit above (or below) the general trend line.

Basically, the importance of the number is not that great right now, although it feels to you like it marks a "failure". Instead, the importance of good tracking habits is great, and the long-term pattern should reveal that today's number is actually a part of a healthy fluctuation over time.
  • GPHX_GEEK
    Options
    SOLVED

I went through with the Check-In because I realized I just want my stats to be consistently there. I also noticed that my other data entries were just as important as the weight. Aside from the number on the scale, I also track my measurements and those numbers did not go up so the 1.5lbs "gain" didn't affect my overall progress.

Now I just gotta go make myself feel better with a good workout and stay on track with my calories.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "check-in" day. I weigh myself regularly, but then only record when I lose weight in MFP. It becomes sort of a game with me ... and actually encourages me because I want to "check-in". For me, the ups and downs are discouraging.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Skipping the check in does not make the weight disappear. It comes down to how honest do you want to be with yourself.

This^
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I didn't check in when I gained weight for a bit, because it does vary a lot. If you think it will motivate you, then do it. Check in. But if you think it will derail you, then don't. I decided to recently add my gained weight, because it didn't go back down. I don't check in every week though. I weigh myself sporadically. But honestly a change of 1.8lbs is NOTHING. You can vary by about 5 lbs over the course of a day (which is why a lot of people try to do it at the same time every week). Not sure if you do that, but I don't think you should fret about less than 2 lbs. You got this.
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    csteuter wrote: »
    I don't have a "check-in" day. I weigh myself regularly, but then only record when I lose weight in MFP. It becomes sort of a game with me ... and actually encourages me because I want to "check-in". For me, the ups and downs are discouraging.

I follow the same and still find MFP useful - I still know the results on the scale. If I haven't had a loss over a period of time, and think I should have then I start looking back at why and make adjustments. I weight myself first thing every a.m. This works for me.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how quickly MFP members will log any loss, including those from normal fluctuations, but will excuse away any gain from the same reasons.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how quickly MFP members will log any loss, including those from normal fluctuations, but will excuse away any gain from the same reasons.

With you here.
    If Wednesday is my weigh in day, I weigh and log it.
    If I had a particularly bad night, I might weigh in on Thursday as well but I don't log that.
  • Megoondas
    Megoondas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're still obsessing about the number on the scale even though you only check in once per week. Fluctuations in weight isn't a bad thing - it's a normal thing, so don't ignore it. Logging food, weight, and exercise is crucial to building awareness. I'd log the gain, then look back at your food diary to see if your latest meals have caused you to retain water. Heck - women have a tendency to have major swings in water retention because of our lovely cycles too, so it could just be that. 1.5 pounds equates to a mere pint and a half of water, FYI.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Wednesdays are my days on here too (though I weigh every day). I was up yesterday. I logged it. It's about consistency...weight loss is not linear, so why should I pretend it is?
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I log my weight every Thursday morning, loss or gain.
  • GPHX_GEEK
    Options

Thank you for the words of encouragement!!! In the end I did "Check-In" yesterday. After all, I have been very consistent with my logging and my workouts so I figured I need to stay consistent with tracking my progress aswell. :)