SO THIRSTY...STILL

Options
SO...... HAS ANYONE EVER JUST FELT CONSTANTLY THIRSTY NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU GET TO DRINK??? I HAVE BEEN THIRSTY ALL DAY LONG IVE HAD 135 OUNCES AND AM STILL THIRSTY..........I USUALLY KEEP MYSELF HYDRATED JUST FINE SO I DONT THINK IM DEHYDRATED.......... COULD IT BE FROM CONSUMING SO MUCH SODIUM YESTERDAY?

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Possibly. But I would keep an eye on if this happens frequently. It could be a symptom of something else like diabetes. But if its just once in a while, it prob just your body telling you to get with the program! :) Mine does that sometimes.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Could be sodium if it doesn't go away consult your Dr. to make sure nothing more serious like Diabeties.
  • RyanWicklund
    Options
    Are you drinking water? That's over a gallon so you should be well hydrated. Maybe cut back on your sodium? Sodium is the hardest one for me to keep under my daily goal. It's in everything!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i've actually been having the same problem. it's pry from the increase of water you have been consuming so your body needs to always have it -- but i'm not sure. I been thirsty all day and I drank a lot of water. can't figure it out
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    it doesnt happen often but it has before..... i was really just wondering if overindulging in sodium can lead you to become so thirsty.......... thanks guys.... and i dont have diabetes but thanks for the worry
  • cmiles23
    Options
    that makes sense to me............ i used to drink ALOT of pop.... like 100 ounces a day and i stopped about 2 weeks ago and now only drink water and iced tea.... and occasionally milk.... so maybe it is my body just readjusting
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It can be from high sodium. Just keep drinking the water and flush it out. I had a high sodium meal a few weeks back and I couldn't seem to get enough water even though I knew I was hydrated.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    If it just started suddenly today, I would be willing to bet you are loaded with sodium. How often and how much are you peeing? That may help ease your mind. If you aren't peeing a great deal more than you normally would, it's likely sodium or relative dehydration keeping the water inside your body. Don't worry yet.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat something salty like bacon for breakfast then I'm horribly thirsty all day. If it's only started today I wouldn't worry about it but if it carries on I'd go see a doctor.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    SO...... HAS ANYONE EVER JUST FELT CONSTANTLY THIRSTY NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU GET TO DRINK??? I HAVE BEEN THIRSTY ALL DAY LONG IVE HAD 135 OUNCES AND AM STILL THIRSTY..........I USUALLY KEEP MYSELF HYDRATED JUST FINE SO I DONT THINK IM DEHYDRATED.......... COULD IT BE FROM CONSUMING SO MUCH SODIUM YESTERDAY?

Yup. How bad was your sodium intake yesterday? I drink 1.5 gallons a day and I stay below the 2500 limit.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Has it been hot and humid in your area by any chance? I grew up in Puerto Rico, where it's super humid all the time, and there were times during the year when I was constantly thirsty, no matter how much water I drank. Sometimes my belly would be full from drinking water, but I'd still be thirsty. I'm a very healthy person, so I've always chalked it up to the heat. It doesn't happen much anymore now that I live in New Jersey, but squeezing a bit of lime juice into my water works wonders to remove the thirst.
  • cmiles23
    Options
    yes very humid for the last 2 days but ive been inside the majority of the day except for one my breaks at work........ im gonna chalk it up to high sodium
  • cmiles23
    Options
    and i have no idea how much sodium i consumed yesterday......... it showed everything but sodium when i uploaded it but i had japanese steakhouse, steamed rice tons of veggies and sprouts chicken and steak and a salad with ginger dressing......... it was my lets see how much i can scarf day hahaha
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Actually, while sodium may play a part in it I would say that with the amount of water you are drinking you might be stripping your body of electrolytes so you may want to include some type of beverage with a little sodium and a little sugar- like gatorade.

Also, there is a sodium-potassium balance that your body needs to maintain. While it is good to drink more water when you consume more sodium, you also need to make sure you are getting enough potassium to balance the sodium.
  • rdulceamor
    Options
    I only drink water. On the weekends if I go out to eat I will have a sweet tea- but I am always so thirsty!!!! Water does not quench my thirst. It could be the sodium i suppose- but i have low blood pressure and to raise it my cardiologist said to increase my sodium. (weird I know, he hated telling me that). But my bp was 70/50. I do not add a lot of salt to my food, just whatever is already on it.
  • rdulceamor
    Options
    how do you get the weight loss tracker?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't go away, go to the doctor. But, if you consumed a bunch of sodium, then it very well could be that. See how you feel tomorrow...
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Better get your blood sugar tested. Thats one of the first signs of diabetes.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Could be diabetes related.

If it is only one day, then it could just have been that you just need it after yesterday (like you said)...however, if it persists then go to the doctor.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I had a day like that yesterday! I had over 20 8oz glasses of water, 20 is where I stopped counting. Today I'm a little thirsty, but nothing like yesterday. The day before I drank very little, compared to my normal intake. I find if I have less water than usual on one day, I'll be extra thirsty the next several days.
    Also beware of the sodium. There's a lot of salt hidden in restaurant foods. That can also cause you to want more water!
    Finally, if it continues out of control for more than 2 days, see your doctor about getting a diabetes test.