Spirituality and Health

Options
I’ve been spiritually wandering for a long time. My father was Roman Catholic and born in Poland. My Mother now suspects (after his death last year) that his father was actually Jewish. My mom’s side of the family were non-practicing Christians, and God was never a real presence in my home.

When I was in junior high, my mom went on a quest to find her spirituality. She and I started attending a Pentecostal church, and I was confused because I never knew god, and was not sure if I even believed.

My mom went on a different path, and discovered Buddhism, and has been a follower for about 15 years. I have done some readings, and while it is interesting, it doesn’t seem like it fits me.

I am spiritually lost.

I’m wondering what a lack of spirituality or a weak spiritual foundation can do to one’s health? I wonder how much happier I would be if I found a way to connect with a higher power and connect more with the world around me.

I’m just wondering what you feel spirituality has brought to your journey, not just for weight loss, but for your overall health as well?

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I’ve been spiritually wandering for a long time. My father was Roman Catholic and born in Poland. My Mother now suspects (after his death last year) that his father was actually Jewish. My mom’s side of the family were non-practicing Christians, and God was never a real presence in my home.

When I was in junior high, my mom went on a quest to find her spirituality. She and I started attending a Pentecostal church, and I was confused because I never knew god, and was not sure if I even believed.

My mom went on a different path, and discovered Buddhism, and has been a follower for about 15 years. I have done some readings, and while it is interesting, it doesn’t seem like it fits me.

I am spiritually lost.

I’m wondering what a lack of spirituality or a weak spiritual foundation can do to one’s health? I wonder how much happier I would be if I found a way to connect with a higher power and connect more with the world around me.

I’m just wondering what you feel spirituality has brought to your journey, not just for weight loss, but for your overall health as well?
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Interesting question.

I grew up in a Christian home, just always believing in God. And I still do. For me, personally, my spirits are much more lifted when I am in a good place with Him.

It's sounds so cliche to say that if you lean on Him during hard times - whether it's trying to eat healthy and shed pounds or whether it's a divorce or whatever - He'll pull you through. And honestly, I'd be lying. Sometimes, when I need Him most, it feels like he's not even here with me.

But when I am close to Him, even when things are tough or things are bad, I DO feel better. I think He gives me a clear head to deal with my problems. He might not take them away or lighten the burden or make things even one bit easier, but ...

It's like when a depressed person take meds. The medication doesn't solve all the problems. It doesn't even really make them happy. But it gives them a clear mind so they can handle life in a responsible way.

That's what God does for me.

I'm not really sure if this answered your question though. :ohwell:
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    you did :)
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi there I was bought up in a very Christian home but at around the age of 16 I could not get answers to the questions I put to elders and left religion per-se not forsaking God but looking at alternatives to my questions.

Skip 38 years later and I am still looking but having undertaken my 1st Degree in REIKI (Universal Energy) I am much more at peace with the world and all around me.

I am no longer looking for anwers but just enjoying what I have no matter where,when or what it is and no longer lusting after the things I cannot afford/have. I have never been afraid of or by the thought of death but now have a very different outlook on it.

I put this all down to REIKI, having found it by sheer mistake it has certainly made my journey towards a healthier lifestyle much easier.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    There are actually some biblically based food plans out there. A friend of mine used it for awhile. Not sure if that's something for you to look at.

Here's the thing for me...I am a Christian, if I look back at struggles in my life I can also see where I was walking away from God trying to do things my way in my time...it doesn't work. When I put my "stuff" in His hands, it always works out - might hurt a little while it's happening but always, always seems to work out way better than I could expect.

I belong to a Baptist church (very comtemporary) where we lots of small groups some by age, or kids ages, interests, etc. that could be a place to start in your search - finding someone to relate with
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Christian here. When I feel that I am right with God, I feel invincible. When I know I am not following Gods wishes I am down. I gather a lot of strength when I am praying and reading the Bible.

Please remember we are not perfect and we will all stray or fail from time to time (believe me). That is what makes God so wonderful, he is there waiting for us to ask for forgiveness.

This is the perfect question for this time of year.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I thought you might like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv1gCa5Us7Q

I copied the link from another post - it's incredible!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    There are actually some biblically based food plans out there. A friend of mine used it for awhile. Not sure if that's something for you to look at.

Here's the thing for me...I am a Christian, if I look back at struggles in my life I can also see where I was walking away from God trying to do things my way in my time...it doesn't work. When I put my "stuff" in His hands, it always works out - might hurt a little while it's happening but always, always seems to work out way better than I could expect.

I belong to a Baptist church (very comtemporary) where we lots of small groups some by age, or kids ages, interests, etc. that could be a place to start in your search - finding someone to relate with

You're right. About putting things in Christ's hands. That's what I'm trying to learn to do. There's only so much we can do. I'm reading through John right now, and he says just that. Once we've done all we can do, if we give it to Christ, he'll take care of the rest.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying that I don't want to offend anyone and part of our humanity is to have personal beliefs and feel both wonderment and fear toward death and what that might entail. We all have different beliefs and having those doesn't mean we think other people are wrong (well I don't think anyone is wrong, I'm just not sure, but my beliefs make sense to me).

That said, I'm not a Christian...in fact, I don't even know if there's a name for what I am. :laugh:

Previous to last year, I was an atheist, not because I found religious entirely unbelievable, but because I was more ok with absolute nothingness than most people are. I was fine with the knowledge that my brain functions would cease and I would no longer be conscious or have any awareness of my existence.

Then last year, one of my professors gave a lecture on near death experiences. Her father held a 20 year long study following the lives the people who'd had an NDE. Interestingly, although none of the people knew one another, they all experienced almost the same thing. The main points were out of body experiences, ability to transcend time and space, a 'being of light', and viewing their lives through the eyes of others (and therefore experiences others' pain/joy based on their own actions). They also mentioned the inability to sense time passing and that the being of light was just a chaperone, and they could telepathically communicate with other ________ (souls, beings, whatever). Since these people actually died, I tend to believe that they have a good idea of what's going on 'over there'. The reason this didn't make me want to be a Christian was that there is no mention of heaven or hell. Rather, the re-living of their lives would provide either very good feelings or very bad feelings. After that, they spent time in various places--forests, institutes of learning--until they came to an obstacle and came back to life.

Okay, that was long, but I felt like I should explain my choice of beliefs. I believe there is an afterlife, and that afterlife will be either really good or really bad based on how I treat others--but whether I swear to myself or secretly covet the nice car of the neighbor next to me will not decide whether I suffer eternally. So now I try to treat others with respect and kindness, do favors whenever I can, and keep bad thoughts to myself. I'm still not worried about death, but now I view it more with interest than with indifference. I sort of anticipate what might be possible once I'm not a physical presence anymore. I take care of myself now so I can stick around for a while--I want to make the most of my time here so I am truly satisfied when I leave, since I believe I'll be conscious outside of my body. As a whole, I think my beliefs have made me more respectful toward myself and others, and more optimistic in general.
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    Well, I am first and foremost a believer in Christ Jesus. And I will tell you that life is always better with God on your side. I did not come to know the Lord until I was 19 but I can definitely look back and see the difference in my life from the time I was without and my life with Him. In fact, I can see the difference in this October, when I was walking strong, and this November, when I was struggling with some things. And to answer your original question, YES! My weight has definitely fluctuated depending on how my spiritual life is going. I second the advice to seek out a local small group. It's amazing how easy it is to believe that no one else is going through weight battles, when we know that most EVERYONE actually battles it! Good luck to you! I hope you find what you need! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I am a muslim. I have always believed that God(Allah) has intended for us to eat little and lead simple lives. My weightloss journey is also teaching me that it is okay to let go of food and be more active for we are truly blessed with health and a good life. I feel like this is another part of my worship. I feel close to God and thank Him everyday for each and every blessing. There are countless. I pray five times a day and my last prayer of the day, I end by reflecting on how my day has been. I also pray for a better day coming up. Take each day at a time and thank God for his blessings and you will find not only peace and reassurance from above but also that this weightloss journey becomes a reflection of who you truly are and who you want to become. A healthy YOU.

Good luck!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    ellelit, to use a picture, I think we all have a God shaped hole in us. I think He places it there and when we fill it with Him we feel whole. But when we fill it with other things drugs, alcohol, food, sex...... We feel like something is missing.

Even if we are believers we still keep putting other things into us to make us happy. I think it is our sinful self that thinks we should always be happy, always have things going good. I've read the bible and it does not say that life will be easy if you follow God.

What I have found in being a believer and follower of Jesus is that even when things aren't good, even when life is really hard I feel a peace that is beyond understanding. A peace that others ask why I'm not upset, falling apart, angry, bitter.

I hope that you will find peace in Christ as I believe it is Him who is calling you. What better time to start on your journey than during this season of Christmas, the birth of Jesus and your new birth into the life He is planning for you.
    Kelly
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Bits and pieces... Disclaimer: I not always practice what I preach...:grumble:

Losing weight for a good reason: see your body as the temple where God comes to live, He made you a gift, you have to be careful to protect it.

Not making an idol from the food. Fasting teaches me self control. But the purpose is different with fasting, this is why the result is different.

The acknowledgment of the fact that He loves me as I am. Even if He doesn't like some things I do, these don't push Him away. He's never disgusted with me.

Knowing that in whatever thing I invest some effort, there's no perfection and I'll never be doing enough. So how about put the rest into His hands? The rest, not all of it. My role there is clear, but so are my limits. I'm trying to learn to accept these limits.

I'll leave it open, maybe I'll come back when I get new ideas. :smile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Christian. I accepted Christ as my personal savior when I was in my 20's. My life is so much better all the way around when I let God have control and I follow Him instead of going my own way. I'm not saying everything is roses but knowing God is there during the bad times as well as the good times is what keeps me going. I couldn't imagine my life without Him. Seriously, I don't know how I ever managed without Him before I became a Christian. Having the peace of mind of knowing that He's always with me no matter what is just priceless to me.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hi there, i always read your post and i think your an incredible person :smile:

like songbird, i want to say that i am very respectfull of others peoples believes and i ask the same in return, i want to give you the opposite perspective. i dont believe in god, i am an atheist, also an active member of the humanist society of scotland.

first, if you are worried about your health and how spirituality can help you, it is proven that people that regulary attend a secular group are in general better off psychologicaly because of the social interactions, and other needs that such a practice will fullfill. its got nothing to do with the fact that non-believer people are moralless and that we live a self destructive life. i could join a regualr book club and get the same kind of benefits. there is also the fact that people get an iner peace from believing in an afterlife, its a dauting thing to think that death is a full stop of a being, helps to deal with your own and others people death to believe that life carries on afterdeath. so yes i could help. but is it essential .. no

i guess the keyword we are looking for is faith. most people go on and have the same faith as their parents. due to upbringing. you didnt seems sure of what your faith is in the first place, did you take ask yourself if you believe in ? did you ever think that they could not be a god ? how is that going to affect your life ? basicly, its a very personal thing.

someone once told me that i had to be very courageous to come to a conclusion that there was no god. i first i dismissed it and then i though about it for very long. and she is right. i dont personaly feels very courageous but when you think about it, for someone to completely dismiss the help, the promises that religion gives you is somewhat courageous.

how did my beliefs help me through my weight loss journey, well, i proud to say that ive done it on my own. (alright.. my bf and mfp are really supportive :) i also know that i have only myself to count on, so i better get myself sorted !!! i believe in myself, and that i can prove it to myself that i am strong made all the difference

here a good book, the god delusion by richard dawkins, it really interesting, it doesnt bashout religion, it just explain how the human being has come to believe in god and the society interaction with religion.

sorry if this was long :ohwell: i would be happy to help you more is you need it
    may :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I agree may_marie...I think it's faith, not the institution of religion, that helps us along. Faith doesn't require a deity, in my opinion. I have faith that I will reach my goals eventually, faith that when I die I'll end up somewhere pretty cool, faith that if I need help, I have people to turn to for help. And faith can be tied to a diety--faith in a God, faith in heaven, faith in prayer.

I think we gain faith in ourselves when we gain strength from our beliefs. So whatever beliefs you choose, make sure they empower you in some way and give you that faith so you can be certain you will reach whatever goals you set. :flowerforyou: