Switching from Weight loss to Muscle gain and Fat loss. Help.

Hello everyone,

About me: 5'10, 21, currently weighing 163 pounds.

When I started with weight loss last year I had a tire-ish belly (with significant love handles and back fat) as well as manboobs. My waist was 40-42 inches with loads of thigh fat as well. I was never into sports, so wasn't high on muscle mass too.

I lost about 51 pounds during my weight loss journey, It was a speedy one (3-4 months) which mostly involved heavy volume cardio, a 1500 calorie diet and bit of strength training.
I quit gym for two months before exams and holidays, but maintained my diet and kept losing.

My waist has dropped down to 32 inches. I have decent biceps, thighs, chest muscles (with a bit of fat). I look and feel like a whole new person. :)

Now for the grim part. Although dropped a lot I still continue to hold a lot of belly fat. It's not visible in any clothing but when I take my shirt off there's still that significant tire of love handle that is grabbable in my fist, its wobbly and it seems i have no muscle there. It sort of sticks out with a under belly lining over my decently toned waist. I have come to accept that the weight loss process I was onto has made me a little skinny fat.
As I was losing a lot of size so I stopped cardio and bumped up to 2000 calories odd.

So I have was driven nuts when trying to figure out whether to bulk or cut. Each website/person gave me a different opinion.

So I am shouting out here to anyone with expertise and/or experience of where I am:

1. I have been strength training 4 days a week for the past month based on SL 5x5 for a month on a slight cut below my maintenance (2700 calories). I also do a few weighted crunches, and noticed that I've pushed the belly fat farther out a little. I do squats, lifts, benchpresses and other SL exercises and I am getting stronger progressively. But my weight on the scale remains the same? Am I really putting on muscle and losing fat simultaneously or have I been eating more?

2. Is where you lose fat from really genetics? Is it all visceral fat?

3. I have stopped cardio absolutely except 3 miles of walking a day (to and back from gym). Since i have burnt a lot of fat in the past doing it should I resort to HIIT or even high intensity cycling for 20 minutes thrice a week? Try to eat back that much?
Note: I was losing a huge amount of belly fat while doing cardio in the gym and that seemed to stop when I quit hence that thought.

4. How long does it usually take to build abdominal muscles? I have been doing reverse crunches, side dumbells, twisters and cable/weighted crunches. As you might guess patience is a little issue for me since I have been used to quick results.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Continue to cut until you lose the fat and keep lifting.
  • sp940
    sp940 Posts: 12 Member
    The 5x5 is designed to increase strength at a pretty significant rate. So on top of the fact that you've lost a great deal of weight pretty quick it looks like you're doing good work. You have to remember that your body is responding to new stimuli so give it a chance to adjust.
    I think one of the easiest ways to know if you're still losing body fat or not is taking monthly measurements (either with a tape or calipers). That would put your mind at ease when the scale decides to stick.
    As much as the media wants to sell you the idea of spot fat loss, it just doesn't happen. You can be predetermined by genetics to hold fat in certain areas, but that doesn't mean you're not in control.
    I've read mixed reviews on doing cardio while on the 5x5 program. While the creator says it's not necessary, I still have issues accepting that. Cardiovascular health should be ringing in your head as well. None of us want to be skinny fat, we want to be lean mean fighting machines...and that requires the ability to maintain healthy hearts. So my advice is keep your cardio. I personally love HIIT.
    There's no magical formula so throw it in there and see what works for you. And as long as you're at whatever deficit you chose at the end of the day the calories will work themselves out. However, make sure your protein is adequate.
    I'm guessing by what you've written you've probably got some decent abs already built. The more an exercises we do the more muscle built therefore the reason why your stomach seems to be sticking out further. But by no means stop exercising them. Abs are made in the kitchen though. Bloating could also be playing a hand in the belly fat. Think about your water and sodium intake as well.
    Overall seems like you're doing great even though you feel as though the process is slowing down. Focus on the small victories and keep increasing those plates. You have to remember you didn't put all the weight on overnight so it wont come off overnight either.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This

Then bulk
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This

Then bulk

truth.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

This

Then bulk

Yep
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited February 2015
    OP - like others said keep cutting until you get to sub 15% body fat, and then bulk.

I would also suggest eating about 250 calories under maintenance and shoot for .5 pound per week loss. This will help you maintain existing muscle mass and lose body fat.

You may want to add in some additional calories on off lifting days to help increase calorie burns….but that is a personal choice for you to make...

Edited because for some dumb reason I thought OP was female….
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - like others said keep cutting until you get to 18-20% body fat, which I believe is the acceptable range for most females to then do a bulk.

I would also suggest eating about 250 calories under maintenance and shoot for .5 pound per week loss. This will help you maintain existing muscle mass and lose body fat.

You may want to add in some additional calories on off lifting days to help increase calorie burns….but that is a personal choice for you to make...
    @ndj1979 OP is male.
  • ndj1979
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    OP - like others said keep cutting until you get to 18-20% body fat, which I believe is the acceptable range for most females to then do a bulk.

@ndj1979 OP is male.

whoops….

well damn ..

OK - then cut to sub 15% and do everything else….

• ana3067

@ndj1979 OP is male.

whoops….

well damn ..

I've heard 10-12% can be an optimal range for guys.
  • ndj1979
    ana3067 wrote: »

@ndj1979 OP is male.

whoops….

well damn ..

it is if one has issues with the fat gain that is inevitable in any bulk …but for some people they can get to 14% and do a slow bulk - .5 pound per week gain - and not have issues…

I could be wrong but I believe the 10-12% comes from when one wants to go for one pound per week gain because fat will be added faster….but I could be wrong.

on my most recent bulk I was about 13% when I started….
  • ana3067
    ana3067 wrote: »

@ndj1979 OP is male.

whoops….

well damn ..

it is if one has issues with the fat gain that is inevitable in any bulk …but for some people they can get to 14% and do a slow bulk - .5 pound per week gain - and not have issues…

I could be wrong but I believe the 10-12% comes from when one wants to go for one pound per week gain because fat will be added faster….but I could be wrong.

on my most recent bulk I was about 13% when I started….

Ah nice. I'd guess that the same logic applies to women as well, since i've also heard that starting a bulk as high as 22% BF is fine. I'm not even bothering with % aymore though, just gonna decide to bulk when I look lean enough for my preferences.
  • abhisheksengupta
    abhisheksengupta Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you for your responses everyone. It's hard to describe it but I have become a little scared of losing fat further (before gaining muscle). I'll try posting a shirtless picture soon but you can picture me as a fairly lean guy with around 15% fat in most of my upper body. But right when you come down I have this pooch across the abdomen. (like a 25% BF guy) Its not visible over clothing but I can grab it right into my fists. As you leave the abdomen (It's like a lower lining sticking out) my 32'' waist and thighs seem lean again.

Common sense tells me that its because I had a distinctively huge belly to begin with and the excess cardio and dieting just shrunk it and I lost all muscle there. I never did abdominal exercises before as well.

For a month I seemingly was on a 300-350 calorie deficit and lifted as heavy as possible. I was expecting a 3 pound loss over the last month, but gained 2 pounds instead. So did I put on a five pounds of muscle? My arms and chest seem bigger. But I thought you needed those extra calories to grow.

My fear is if I cut and strength train won't I go thinner? I'll lose fat but won't I be caloric-ally lacking to build muscles in its place?
    Bulking seems a more logical option, but I'll gain fat too (hopefully not on the belly).

Then there's more stuff on the internet which says maintain your TDEE and keep lifting the muscle growth and increased metabolism creates a deficit slowly burns away the fat.

So damn confusing.
  • ana3067
    You cannot bulk and cut at the same time. Choose fat loss or muscle gain as your priority.
  • sarah18253
    sarah18253 Posts: 3 Member
    I am in the same boat! I am a 5'2" 34 year old woman, and before my last 2 children, I was about 115. Yes I had a little pooch from my first baby, but I still felt confident in a bikini. 2 kids later, not so much! I'm back down to 115, but nothing looks the same. I have nice toned arms, skinny legs, but a big lower pooch, which I'm pretty sure is mostly just skin, and a smooshy butt! So I started doing body pump, which has helped a little bit all over, but I'm not seeing much lift in my butt. I don't want to bulk up, and I have no idea what cutting and bulking consists of. But I do want to gain muscle back there. Do I keep my calories at a deficit, or do I up them to build muscle? Although, I'm afraid if I up them, I'll gain everywhere else too! Anyone with personal experience that can offer advice?
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    [

@ndj1979‌ you think 18-20% is an acceptable body fat for a female - I think you're off by about 5% personally - it depends on your body shape and as a woman many of us look fabulous at around 25%
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Congrats on your loss.
  • ndj1979
    [

@ndj1979‌ you think 18-20% is an acceptable body fat for a female - I think you're off by about 5% personally - it depends on your body shape and as a woman many of us look fabulous at around 25%

I believe that most recommend that range for a female to bulk on ...but I could be wrong..

and not saying that a woman with 25% body fat would not look great...
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    [

I believe that most recommend that range for a female to bulk on ...but I could be wrong..

*twirls roughly 25% body fat frame* :wink:
  • ndj1979
    [

*twirls roughly 25% body fat frame* :wink:

well you just proved my point that 25% body fat looks great on woman...

:)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,162 Member
    Also when you get closer, up your calories to maintenance and increase weight intensity until you start to lose more weight (fat hopefully) then increase to maintenance again, repeat or increase calories and intensity.