Trying to lose this stomach and tone up! HELP!

Options
Hey guys I'm getting back into the swing of things so that I can lose weight in time for my Wedding in November of 2015! I want to look great in my suit! I'm 5'11 191 lbs and I want to get down to a clean 175-180 and tone up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What are some exercises that I should be doing? Or even healthy eating tips? Add me as a friend as well. Could definitely use the motivation from you guys and vice versa! I ready for the journey and to Get fit and Stay fit! #BatmanOut

Replies

• adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Batman.

What kinds of activities and exercise do you like doing is probably the best place to start. I started with walking because it's easy and didn't require any extra money. But really there's a ton of options! It all depends on what you want to try!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Pick up heavy things and put them back down. There are several lifting protocols for newbies if you Google.
  • heyitszeek
    heyitszeek Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Batman.

What kinds of activities and exercise do you like doing is probably the best place to start. I started with walking because it's easy and didn't require any extra money. But really there's a ton of options! It all depends on what you want to try!

Well I do go to the gym regularly. I just got back into the swing of things and this is my second week back at it. I usually do the typical cardio like treadmill and elliptical. I also lift as well.
  • heyitszeek
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Pick up heavy things and put them back down. There are several lifting protocols for newbies if you Google.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not lol. But yes I already lift and doing various cardio as well. I'm not a newbie, let's call it someone who was retired and now trying to get back into the game.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you're serious or not lol. But yes I already lift and doing various cardio as well. I'm not a newbie, let's call it someone who was retired and now trying to get back into the game.

She's serious. Diet is for weight loss, lifting is for retaining muscle and making sure that the weight you lose is mostly fat.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well I do go to the gym regularly. I just got back into the swing of things and this is my second week back at it. I usually do the typical cardio like treadmill and elliptical. I also lift as well.

Sounds like you're already doing what'll get you there! Just stick with it and eat at a deficit and you'll do just fine! Congrats on the upcoming wedding, btw.
  • heyitszeek
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

She's serious. Diet is for weight loss, lifting is for retaining muscle and making sure that the weight you lose is mostly fat.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest

Thanks a lot .. Appreciate it
  • heyitszeek
    Options

Sounds like you're already doing what'll get you there! Just stick with it and eat at a deficit and you'll do just fine! Congrats on the upcoming wedding, btw.

Thanks a lot
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting, doing cardio, and watching your calories. You're doing all the right things.

Make sure you're getting an adequate amount of protein(.8 - 1g per bodyweight) and hitting your fat minimums(.35-.45g per bodyweight).

When you say you're lifting, are you doing a proven program or are you just doing exercises randomly? I recommend getting on a program so when you walk into the gym you have a set goal to hit, log your progress, and most importantly progressively overload your muscles. Doing 3 sets of 10 bicep curls with 20lb dumbbells for 6 months won't do anything.

Honestly you have plenty of time from now to November. If you're consistent, you'll look a hell of a lot better than what you may think. Your goal is definitely achievable.

Best of luck, bro.
  • heyitszeek
    Options
    If you're lifting, doing cardio, and watching your calories. You're doing all the right things.

Make sure you're getting an adequate amount of protein(.8 - 1g per bodyweight) and hitting your fat minimums(.35-.45g per bodyweight).

When you say you're lifting, are you doing a proven program or are you just doing exercises randomly? I recommend getting on a program so when you walk into the gym you have a set goal to hit, log your progress, and most importantly progressively overload your muscles. Doing 3 sets of 10 bicep curls with 20lb dumbbells for 6 months won't do anything.

Honestly you have plenty of time from now to November. If you're consistent, you'll look a hell of a lot better than what you may think. Your goal is definitely achievable.

Best of luck, bro.

Thanks for the positive words. I'll will definitely get on a program and log everything I do. Thanks for the advice!
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey there! Sounds like you and I have/had similar weight loss goals - as in to say, not much weight that needs to be lost, but more focusing on the toning; so if it helps, here's what I did:

Back in September, I realized I had let my eating get slack (but had remained physically active) and had gained 10 pounds, so I was hovering around 135 lbs (which is perfectly healthy for my 5'6" height, but my stomach is where most of the weight seemed to go). Looks like a couple people already mentioned (somewhat rudely, IMO) that the key to belly weight loss is in food, and they are very correct. I kept my activity level the same - running 2-3 miles multiple times a week and strength training 2-3 times a week - but switched my diet over to Paleo. Because of the amount of cardio I do, I make sure to eat more carbs than protein, and more protein than fat; which is funny because so many people think you need to cut out carbs to lose weight. Complete opposite.

Within two months, I was down from 135 back to my original 125 and because I liked how I felt living a Paleo lifestyle, I just kept it up and within another month I was down to 120. Now I've just been maintaining since then, and focusing a lot on my core by incorporating a few core instructional videos via Fitness Blender (they have a YouTube channel) into my strength training days. I'm 27 now and feel like I look better than I did when I was in college, and feel stronger than I ever have. (This is the first time in I can't tell you how long that I've actually been looking forward to bathing suit shopping!)

Hope this helps, and congrats on the wedding!