Gastric bypass and wt. loss

Options
Hey All
I'm new here and need to loss 30lb before I can get a gastic bypass. Now if I could loss wt. I would not need the bypass. What a girl to do. I have 4 month to loss it or I am out of the program. Any ideas on the best way to loss the wt.

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. Pretty simple.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I sure you are taking the gastric bypass classes. If so you have to realize... If you cant lose weight before the surgery... You wont lose it after ... 4 months to lose 30 lbs seems like a lot... It took me closer to 6. But start today, eat at a deficit. Track every bite. Get a food scale weigh every bite.
  • rachelem89
    Options
    You don't need a bypass.Its a way out of one problem and a way into another. I have lost 92lbs (another 48 to go) in a year by following a low carb, high fat diet. It works brilliantly, its satisfying and sustainable - I love what I eat. I am the healthiest I have ever been. I have tried numerous different diets over the last few years, but this has been amazing. Google LCHF dieting, and get your head in the right place - you CAN do it on your own!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I was the same way! I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and working out 6 days a week. I kept having my surgery postponed because I could not lose 40 pounds. Turned out that I needed to be on a much higher does of metformin for my PCOS. I now take 2000 mg a day.

Have you started the low-carb diet yet? Try to keep your carbs under 50 a day. Limit your fruit because they are high in natural sugar which your body does not differentiate from other forms of sugar. I used the Atkins shakes and frozen meals.
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When you have a lot of weight to lose, it comes off much faster at first. You just have to be diligent about tracking every morsel that goes into your mouth. Calories in, calories out. I started at over 300lbs, and realized pretty quickly that I might not be eating a TON of food, what I was eating was incredibly high in calories. I'm down 21 lbs since January 6, and if I can do it, you can, too!
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight (with or without a bypass surgery) you need to be eating a calorie deficit. If you achieve your weight loss goal and they approve you for surgery, youre going to have to completely change how you eat and think about food anyway. If you "cheat" through this first 30 pounds youre only going to be setting yourself up for a harder road ahead after surgery.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    In addition to the weight loss, this also tests your ability to follow instructions and a diet since that will be critical post-op. If you can't follow it now, bypass surgery is a waste of money.
  • kcputtytat
    kcputtytat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just had gastric bypass on March 30. I know that losing is hard but you can lose 30lbs in 4 months. Cut out all junk food, pop, and white carbs. Lower your carb input to 30 grams with meals and 15 at snacks. Only have 1 healthly snack a day.
    Surgery is not an easy fix; the weight loss is still hard. The diet after is really strict and if you don't stick to it you suffer for it. I have been sticking to it because I don't want to get sick. For me it is a forced life-style change.
    I am sure they gave you a diet to follow to lose the weight. Follow it.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if you don't know how to lose weight now, you won't know how to lose weight later. So many people think they can have surgery and not do the work, and then they re-gain everything they lose and then some. Don't become a statistic. Meet with a nutritionist/dietician/therapist NOW and start working on a long-term plan, and by long-term I mean for the rest of your life.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you what to do as this is your decision. However, based on experiences of friends and family, I would urge you to consider seeking therapy and getting a handle on why you are obese before altering your body in a surgical way. I've known several people, including my sister, that had gastric bypass, lost weight and then regained all back over time. My sister lost 100 lbs in the first year and kept it off for about three years. Ten years later, she's gained it all back and now has malabsorption issues from the gastric bypass and has to take vitamins and supplements, including vitamin B injections, and is anemic. She's also developed an alcohol dependency, something that has recently been documented as a risk in gastric bypass patients, but not when she had the surgery in 2005 (alcohol affects those with gastric bypass much faster). She was a only a very casual drinker prior to this.
    In my opinion, she's worse off than before the surgery due to the lack of nutritive absorption. She would have likely benefited more from therapy to figure out psychological issues and investing in personal training and nutrition counseling. Good luck to you!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    In addition to the weight loss, this also tests your ability to follow instructions and a diet since that will be critical post-op. If you can't follow it now, bypass surgery is a waste of money.

This, OP. Has your doctor teamed you up with a nutritionist to assist in getting you on track to lose the weight and to understand the principles of weight loss? Did your doctor give you a specific diet to follow? A number or calories that you should be eating each day to meet your goal?

I have a few friends who have had weight loss surgery who have told me more than once that the hardest part comes after the surgery. It's not magic and you won't wake up with the weight gone and with all of your dreams coming true. It gets a lot harder.
  • blh76820
    blh76820 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    rachelem89 wrote: »
    You don't need a bypass.Its a way out of one problem and a way into another. I have lost 92lbs (another 48 to go) in a year by following a low carb, high fat diet. It works brilliantly, its satisfying and sustainable - I love what I eat. I am the healthiest I have ever been. I have tried numerous different diets over the last few years, but this has been amazing. Google LCHF dieting, and get your head in the right place - you CAN do it on your own!

Just because you found success doesn't mean that others will have the same experience, so you cannot tell her she doesn't need one.

To Rlpipes, weight loss surgery is meant to be a tool. How one uses it depends on the patient. If you cannot overcome mind over food and lose the 30, it is showing that you have a relationship with food that will not change by taking advantage of weight loss surgery. My quality of life has been much improved already from having surgery as others I know..but likewise, there are those that think that weight loss surgery will do the work for you, and that is simply not true. It still requires a tremendous amount of effort, but offers tremendous help.