can't consume 1600 calories

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rsmith0273 wrote: »
    I'm afraid to eat anything anymore, had a sub the other day and I came home to log my food and the thing was like 1480 calories, I about died, so I'm on a 1600 calorie diet and I'm just glad I hadn't ate anything else that day. Do not eat the Ruben at Penn Station...

That's one of those learning curves though .. next time you'll check the menu out first and choose more wisely
  • kaviles1976
    kaviles1976 Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok..maybe I need to rephrase this. I didn't gain fat from a medical issue. It's been more difficult to lose weight due to it. Secondly..sure I can eat 1600 with no problem..if I change my diet to pizza and crap. That's why I was heavier prior. It's not that I "don't know how"...it's more difficult while eating healthy. Why doesn't anyone get it? Also..I AM successful..I AM losing and toning. I know the truth and can accept it..but rude is rude! :'(
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    First, no one is being rude. They're giving you blunt truth.

Second, you can still have pizza and whatever else you want to eat. None of those foods are inherently bad for you. It's about exercising moderation and knowing/learning when to stop. Don't eat the whole friggin' pizza. Eat a couple slices. Restricting yourself from certain foods oftentimes leads to one binging on them later.

Third, it's a mental thing. You've gone from one extreme (eating too much, and therefor gaining weight) to another extreme (restricting yourself for fear of gaining). You need to re-evaluate what you are doing, what your goals are, and your relationship with food.

When you learn to let go of the 'little' things, you'll enjoy more success and be much happier for it. Eat in a way that is sustainable for a lifetime.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ok..maybe I need to rephrase this. I didn't gain fat from a medical issue. It's been more difficult to lose weight due to it. Secondly..sure I can eat 1600 with no problem..if I change my diet to pizza and crap. That's why I was heavier prior. It's not that I "don't know how"...it's more difficult while eating healthy. Why doesn't anyone get it? Also..I AM successful..I AM losing and toning. I know the truth and can accept it..but rude is rude! :'(

yup, there is your problem. There is no such thing as "crap" or "bad' food, there is just food that your body uses for fuel.

So yes this means that you can eat pizza, it does not, however, mean that you should get 100% of your diet from pizza, or ice cream, or cookies…

what it does mean is that you should eat nutrient dense foods, hit your micro/macro goal for the day, and then fill in the rest of the day with foods you like, like a slice of pizza, or a serving of ice cream, etc…

so have some chicken, rice, eggs, whole wheat bread, turkey, etc, but also have some ice cream, bagels, pasta, pizza, etc….

balance is the key to life...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. Are you losing weight too quickly? It does not matter if you eat a little below your calorie goal. There is going to be inherent error in logging, nutrition information, calorie information in workouts, etc. As long as you are getting the recommended minimums in fat, protein, carbs and final micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals), you'll be fine. It looks like you only have 10 lbs to lose. If you drop more than 1 lb a week, eat a little more. Your body needs fuel to function.
    2. Are you lifting weights at all? Lifting can help raise appetite. Lifting also helps you retain your muscles while you're losing weight. You can lose more fat that way (I'm way simplifying this).
    3. There's no such thing as "bad" food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Calorie dense foods are not just 'pizza and crap.' It looks like you're setting yourself up for failure.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

The simple (but not always easy) answer is to find a middle ground that works for you. Eat the healthy things you've started eating as well as some of the things you love that are heavier on calories. Make both fit into your calorie goals.

Eating healthy is not an all or nothing thing. If you don't eat "healthy" (however you define that) 100% of the time you won't suddenly balloon up or negate all the healthy things you ate. Some people find it works to eat "healthy" 80% of the time and leave the other 20% for other stuff.

It's all about balance.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Then how the hell did you gain weight in the first place? It certainly wasn't by eating less than 1600 calories a day.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

I get it! Most days I get to 7 or 8pm and still have 1000 calories (out of 1800) left! I usually treat myself in the evening...which wipes those out, lol!

I try to eat at nutritious as possible during the day...and when you eat mainly veggies and lean protein, it can be hard to hit calorie goals. Even though you are eating a large volume.

Clearly, I can do it if I go back to my old habits of fast food daily, but I feel so gross when I eat like that now that I cant!

So I eat low cal, nutritionally dense foods during the day and splurge on something calorie dense (but still more nutritious than fast food) at night.

My fav late night snacks are:

Avocado sliced wrapped with deli roast beef
    Full fat ice cream
    Peanut butter and Jelly on corn thins
    Grilled cheese sandwhiches (whole wheat bread, full fat cheddar, real butter).

I find, personally, that if I try to add a bit of fat into my earlier meals to not end up with so many calories at night, that I go over for the day. I know I will want to eat and snack at night once the kids are in bed, so eating low cal thru the day and high cal at night works for me.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

What's wrong with eating pizza sometimes within a balance diet if it helps you reach your goals? Or ice cream? Or any other food?

No one has been rude to you. You should have no problem eating 1600 calories a day. You don't have to eat 100% clean foods all the time.

I am losing on 1700/day and I still went over yesterday. I don't understand when people have this problem. It makes no sense.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    <rolls eyes>

Because you got to where you needed to lose weight by eating less than 1600, right?

This is always my thought, lol. How did you get overweight to begin with when you can't manage to eat 1600 calories?

1st off...youre comment is rude. Obviously I didn't care no track my intake. I am eating very healthy now so I fill up on less food. I also have a medical issue I care not to.discuss. Thanks to everyone.else for the positive input

To be honest, I had the same question... If someone struggles to consume 1600 calories then how did they become overweight in the first place??
    I've even seen posts from overweight people saying they're struggling to eat 1200 calories :huh:

Who would flag this as abuse? Lol I always read what you write in the forums as coming out in like the sweetest way possible. I think it's your profile picture - you just look so, nice.

Also frivolous flagging is against the rules of the forum. This was definitely frivolous.
  • kaviles1976
    kaviles1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »

The simple (but not always easy) answer is to find a middle ground that works for you. Eat the healthy things you've started eating as well as some of the things you love that are heavier on calories. Make both fit into your calorie goals.

Eating healthy is not an all or nothing thing. If you don't eat "healthy" (however you define that) 100% of the time you won't suddenly balloon up or negate all the healthy things you ate. Some people find it works to eat "healthy" 80% of the time and leave the other 20% for other stuff.

It's all about balance.

Thank you
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

OP how far are you coming in under 1600? What is your deficit set at? How much are you losing per week? Going too far under creates too large of a deficit and doing that for long term can lead to medical issues. Even symptoms like being hungry, tired, irritable can result from a larger than necessary deficit.

Now, if you are losing then you have successfully created a deficit. Congrats! If you are losing approximately what you are projected to but coming in a few hundred calories under your 1600 daily, then you are off in your measuring and are actually consuming closer to the 1600 than you think. Which solves your problem. If you are losing more than projected, then you should probably eat a little more and (unfortunately) lose a little slower. Remember healthy long term weight loss is a marathon and not a sprint.

It is actually just as easy to eat "healthy" foods as it is crap foods and eat too much. Eggs and lean meats can add on a few hundred calories. Nuts are packed with calories (I do wish they were less). Whole grain rice and quinoa. Avacados and bananas are high calorie snacks as well. Beans are good. Umm...yeah, just start recognizing higher calorie healthy options and incorporate more of them into your diet. Feel free to friend me and check out my diary, as about 80% is "healthy/clean stuff" and I can check yours out for more suggestions if you like.

Best of luck!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    MFP gives me 1600 calories and I can't seem to consume all of them. I am aggravated daily with it telling me I need to eat more...what do i do?

No offense, but you do know how to achieve that calorie goal (in either food or drinks) or you wouldn't be here trying to lose weight.

I agree. If you have started to eat low fat foods change back to regular fat foods. Don't use 'light versions', don't be afraid to eat things that aren't low cal. I have cookies or brownies or chocolate etc. virtually every day and am down 19 pounds in 2 months (and I average 100 cals more a day than you do)

Yes ma'am! I'm a glutton for M&Ms. I typically have then every day in the afternoon as a snack. :) There's no problem with making room for delicious stuff like cookies, brownies and other snacks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

Because you got to where you needed to lose weight by eating less than 1600, right?

This is always my thought, lol. How did you get overweight to begin with when you can't manage to eat 1600 calories?

1st off...youre comment is rude. Obviously I didn't care no track my intake. I am eating very healthy now so I fill up on less food. I also have a medical issue I care not to.discuss. Thanks to everyone.else for the positive input

To be honest, I had the same question... If someone struggles to consume 1600 calories then how did they become overweight in the first place??
    I've even seen posts from overweight people saying they're struggling to eat 1200 calories :huh:

Who would flag this as abuse? Lol I always read what you write in the forums as coming out in like the sweetest way possible. I think it's your profile picture - you just look so, nice.

Also frivolous flagging is against the rules of the forum. This was definitely frivolous.

because no one is validating the OP's post..

didn't you know that MFP = 100% support no matter what the post...
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Secondly..sure I can eat 1600 with no problem..if I change my diet to pizza and crap. That's why I was heavier prior. It's not that I "don't know how"...it's more difficult while eating healthy. Why doesn't anyone get it?

What's more likely--most of us don't get it, or we share an insight? You asked for advice and we want you to succeed. Labeling pizza as "good" or "bad" makes your job harder.

Your most important goal is your calorie target. A good day is a day where you hit that. If you are locked in a room with only pizzas and garden salads--both the person who eats all pizza and overeats and the person who eats all salads and undereats will miss their target, misses the point, and neither one can be said to be eating healthily or in a manner that serves their goals.

Secondary goals include protein, fiber, saturated fat, and sodium. Until you're hitting the big goal (calories) it's okay to ignore those. Baby steps. Once you are though, notice that two large slices of Mountain Mike's Robber Roost Pizza (229 kcal, 10.5g protein, 1.5g fiber, 2.5g saturated fat, 252mg sodium) is completely compatible with hitting all of those daily targets. If you must label, a food is "good" if it helps you hit your targets and "bad" if it leads you over/under. :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    <rolls eyes>

The OP would because anytime you don't like something someone told you or you disagree people here think it's abuse but luckily the mods are cracking down on people like her abusing the abuse policy.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    <rolls eyes>

because no one is validating the OP's post..

didn't you know that MFP = 100% support no matter what the post...

*Sigh* Y'all are right.

I should really lower my expectations.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    First, no one is being rude. They're giving you blunt truth.

Second, you can still have pizza and whatever else you want to eat. None of those foods are inherently bad for you. It's about exercising moderation and knowing/learning when to stop. Don't eat the whole friggin' pizza. Eat a couple slices. Restricting yourself from certain foods oftentimes leads to one binging on them later.

Third, it's a mental thing. You've gone from one extreme (eating too much, and therefor gaining weight) to another extreme (restricting yourself for fear of gaining). You need to re-evaluate what you are doing, what your goals are, and your relationship with food.

When you learn to let go of the 'little' things, you'll enjoy more success and be much happier for it. Eat in a way that is sustainable for a lifetime.

So much this!!!! :)