can't consume 1600 calories

Options

Replies

• bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    have you given up some of your favorite foods like pizza or hamburgers? You can add something like that back in once in a while. Be careful not to trigger a binge.

I am so much better at sticking within my calorie range when I allow myself treats but I have to be very careful about it.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    oh BTW I occasionally get that message about not eating enough but I ignore it for the times I do happen to go over :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

Because you got to where you needed to lose weight by eating less than 1600, right?

This. Try more calorie dense foods- nut butters, avocado, nuts.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont think shes trying to lose weight, folks... i think shes trying to maintain or gain perhaps? though it seems low for those.

regardless, youve received a great list of suggestions (look at that food list one poster provided).

and if you're not weighing your food, you're probably already there.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    What are some of the foods you LOVED before? Fit them in, in moderation. Tonight for dinner I'm having salmon, baked zucchini and cajun seasoned crab cakes. Crab cakes are a simple pleasure for me. 340 calories of yumminess!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I believe in you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Just afraid of gaining
    So it's not that you can't eat to 1600, you're afraid to? No bueno.

Even if you did gain, it would be what - a pound or two? You're not suddenly going to blimp eating 1600 a day, especially if you entered all your info correctly when you set up MFP, because 1600 must be a deficit for you. Meaning it's fewer cals that what your body burns all day long, even without exercise.

Heck, I gain a pound or two (or 5) and lose it again all month long, but my overall trend is downward. And more important than those pounds are INCHES lost - are you tracking your measurements? Much better way to gauge progress.

My body has been much happier since I began eating the proper number of cals, properly fueling my body for my workouts and every day life - the fat has come off, my sizes have gone down, my body fat has decreased, and my strength, endurance, flexibility have all increased - and I eat 1800-2000 calories a day.

You should not be afraid to eat. Eat what MFP tells you to, follow the plan for a good 4-6 weeks. If after that time you're not losing (inches and/or scale weight), or if you've gained a bit, then re-evaluate and drop cals by 100 and go another 4 weeks or so. It's a learning process, and the estimates for intakes and burns are just that - estimates. It takes time to figure it out and dial it all in, but it's completely worth it.

For over 3 years now I've kept the weight off, and am slowly losing a bit more body fat, enjoying life, workouts and FOOD! No fear!
  • londoncpecial01
    Options
    Thank u

I was wondering the same thing... and I only have 1200 so don't focus on eating health the hole time.
  • londoncpecial01
    Options
    Thank u

I was wondering the same thing... and I only have 1200 so don't focus on eating health the hole time???

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

Because you got to where you needed to lose weight by eating less than 1600, right?

This is always my thought, lol. How did you get overweight to begin with when you can't manage to eat 1600 calories?
  • plainanjelik
    plainanjelik Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem. I had a huge problem eating enough calories while eating clean. To be honest for a while i would have a bowl of raisin bran with reduced fat milk for breakfast and maybe some fruit then a bowl of plain salad, no meat, no dressing for lunch, no dinner. 2-3 cups of tea and 3-4 24oz bottles of water. I used to eat like that for an entire summer with the exception of 2 days where i had 2 slices of pizza just because there was some in the house. Gained 25 lbs over that summer and haven't gotten rid of it since. Think i messed up my metabolism.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote:
    Add oil (like olive oil) or calorie dense foods like avocados to your intake.
    This. OP, you've gone from one eating style that doesn't serve you to another. This is common starting out, and it's good you realize there's a problem (you're not hitting your calorie goal) rather than falling into the trap of believing you're doing "extra good". Add more healthy fats such as the above to your diet, or if that fails, eat some of the foods you used to eat before.

Realize foods (generally) aren't inherently good or bad--what makes them good or bad for you is whether they fit your daily calorie and nutrient goals, e.g. the ones MFP sets for you.

(Generally--an 8,000-calorie cheeseburger is bad for just about everyone!)
  • kaviles1976
    kaviles1976 Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    <rolls eyes>

This is always my thought, lol. How did you get overweight to begin with when you can't manage to eat 1600 calories?

1st off...youre comment is rude. Obviously I didn't care no track my intake. I am eating very healthy now so I fill up on less food. I also have a medical issue I care not to.discuss. Thanks to everyone.else for the positive input
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

1st off...youre comment is rude. Obviously I didn't care no track my intake. I am eating very healthy now so I fill up on less food. I also have a medical issue I care not to.discuss. Thanks to everyone.else for the positive input

It's not rude it's The Truth.

Just because you don't like / can't handle the truth doesn't make it rude.

Do you want to succeed, or do you want to track politeness points?

It's a choice, y'know, and from this side of the internet it *really* looks like you're making the wrong one, right?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

To be honest, I had the same question... If someone struggles to consume 1600 calories then how did they become overweight in the first place??
    I've even seen posts from overweight people saying they're struggling to eat 1200 calories :huh:

• rsmith0273
    rsmith0273 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to eat anything anymore, had a sub the other day and I came home to log my food and the thing was like 1480 calories, I about died, so I'm on a 1600 calorie diet and I'm just glad I hadn't ate anything else that day. Do not eat the Ruben at Penn Station...
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote:
    Add oil (like olive oil) or calorie dense foods like avocados to your intake.
    This. OP, you've gone from one eating style that doesn't serve you to another. This is common starting out, and it's good you realize there's a problem (you're not hitting your calorie goal) rather than falling into the trap of believing you're doing "extra good". Add more healthy fats such as the above to your diet, or if that fails, eat some of the foods you used to eat before.

Realize foods (generally) aren't inherently good or bad--what makes them good or bad for you is whether they fit your daily calorie and nutrient goals, e.g. the ones MFP sets for you.

(Generally--an 8,000-calorie cheeseburger is bad for just about everyone!)

Just wanted to underscore this and point out that just maybe this is how people go from overweight to unable to hit a calorie goal. Although in my case, i was unable to hit a calorie goal for awhile because of where i work and all the stress, lol.
  • mistycoco6
    mistycoco6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your friends when you're trying to get your calories up. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses

I love this listing!!
  • kaviles1976
    kaviles1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

To be honest, I had the same question... If someone struggles to consume 1600 calories then how did they become overweight in the first place??
    I've even seen posts from overweight people saying they're struggling to eat 1200 calories :huh:

Ignorant :neutral_face: