(tracking) Staying within Cals, but going over on sugar etc.

Options
I have a MFP question (I hope this is the right place to ask). So I've been doing fairly well with tracking everything and staying within my calorie limit, but I find I will go over or fall short on specific categories. Ex. this morning, I bought a "green goodness" drink from the grocery store, and because it's all fruit, if I drink the entire thing I'm completely over my sugar quota on this alone.

My general question is: is the key to losing weight to stay within range of each specific category AND caloric intake, or is the focus on the calorie count.

Replies

• Slimthingping
    Slimthingping Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What's worked for me is to keep everything in the green

My partner swapped a snack for a homemade fruit smoothie but at the end of the day went over on sugar, she's now ditched the smooth for few pieces of fruit and now has a meal instead ie pasta pot or noodles and keeps in the green

Hope this helps somewhat

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have a MFP question (I hope this is the right place to ask). So I've been doing fairly well with tracking everything and staying within my calorie limit, but I find I will go over or fall short on specific categories. Ex. this morning, I bought a "green goodness" drink from the grocery store, and because it's all fruit, if I drink the entire thing I'm completely over my sugar quota on this alone.

My general question is: is the key to losing weight to stay within range of each specific category AND caloric intake, or is the focus on the calorie count.

I think the pre-set guidelines for sugar are set too low for me and I just ignore them. It hasn't impacted my weight loss yet. I do tend to overeat fruit if I give myself the chance, so I just use calories to keep myself in check.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar, don't worry about it, especially if it comes from fruit.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it is about the calories.

Sugar is a carbohydrate and if you are tracking your macro nutrients, that is what you track, not the sugar portion.

Unless you have a doctor confirmed medical condition that limits sugar there is no reason to worry about your sugar intake.
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For weight loss the only thing that matters is calories. For general health you might want to count your macros (fat, protein, carbs). Instead of worrying about the sugar just count your carbs since sugar is a carb anyway. But for weight loss your sugar amount doesn't matter.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Calories are really all that matter for longterm weight loss. Fiddling around with things like sugar and sodium can affect weight short term (water retention and stuff like that). If you're going over on sugar, but getting those sugars from fruit and aren't diabetic, don't worry about it. I personally try to keep mine low because a lot of my sugars are from chocolates (mmm), and diabetes runs in my family. Just use your best judgment.
  • danaleemac
    danaleemac Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree, I don't worry about the sugar. I was usually over almost everyday and it did not impact my weight loss.
  • Megoondas
    Megoondas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been told two different things - I've heard from the "it's within my macros" bunch that a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate, and when it comes to thermodynamics, 400 calories from sugar will burn the same as 400 calories from whole grain pasta. That is all true.

On the other hand, sugar will spike your blood glucose level quicker, and it'll drop quicker. "Complex" carbohydrates are slower to absorb and digest, making it more satisfying and keeping your blood glucose level stable. If the fruit drink is all you're having at that time, I'm sure your blood glucose swings widely. If your focus is purely on weight loss, then going over the sugar recommendation doesn't really matter. But for long-term health, I'm sure watching the sugar intake is a good idea.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't want to go along trying so hard to meet the calories, and yet kicking myself in the foot due to the over/under game. (No medical conditions, thankfully!).
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    I wish they had a like button so I could appreciate all the feedback! Thanks again!
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I run into the same issues as well with the sugar intake. It seems like everything has hidden sugar in it! I notice a huge difference in how I feel when I consume less sugar, no glucose swings so I feel better mood & energy wise. I've stopping drinking smoothies because they are all sugar and no fiber (helps regulate how your body processes sugar).
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    Ya, I was really excited about smoothies -but I think I'm going to have to forgo, unless it's a special occassion. :(