Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we should conversate in person on this subject
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I forgot about the books - I read four Johannson books in a row and they were full of errors!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    :eye twitch:

My ex used that word. Why make up a new word when there is a perfectly acceptable one in existence?
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

My ex used that word. Why make up a new word when there is a perfectly acceptable one in existence?
    And it has one less syllable.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I hear it from a "professional" co-worker all the time. It makes me cry a litle bit!
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    My husband's boss says, 'are we all in agreeance?'
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen (and especially gentlemen), may I please bring your attention to a strip in the fabulous comic, "Girls With Slingshots", for another REALLY good reason to use good grammar and spelling? Lol!!

http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/comic/gws-849/

OMG ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    What about when people say literally and it's not. <<drives me crazy. I have a coworker who says "irregardless all of the time, too.

Oh.. "I could care less"

Really? Could you?

Thanks, OP. You just raised my blood pressure.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I thought the most interesting aspect of this article was the comment that the people who scored well on the grammar test were the ones who did the best work with jobs not relating to writing, like stocking shelves. Perhaps it's those that take the time to understand the importance of good prose who have it bleed over to other job responsibilities. I think I'm more of a perfectionist for certain things because I take the time to review my writing and try and make it better. I'm not perfect, and don't want to be, but do strive to be better in my grammar and writing.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    My husband's boss says, 'are we all in agreeance?'

I had a boss who said "pacifically" instead of "specifically". I had to bite my tongue all the time to not say "well, atlantically,....."

Another guy I dealt with would say "For all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes"....
  • ourwickedlies
    ourwickedlies Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The worst word I've ever heard is "legit." "That's so legit." "This is legit, guys!"
    You know why? It seems to have people thinking that "legit" is an actual word. I once saw a post on Facebook saying something along the lines of "This legitly happened!" I believe the word they were looking for was "legitimately", you know, from the actual word "legitimate".
    I cringed when I saw that.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Two of my faves:

"I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're good with grammar, you'll get it "

And

"Grammar: the difference between knowing your sh** and knowing you're sh**"
  • ourwickedlies
    ourwickedlies Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Two of my faves:

"I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're good with grammar, you'll get it "

And

"Grammar: the difference between knowing your sh** and knowing you're sh**"
    Haha!

What about "Let's eat Grandma!" and "Let's eat, Grandma!"

Grammar saves lives. :tongue:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite is when someone has a tatoo with a mistake...nothing like having a permanent mark and not bothering to proofread it first!
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Apparently I am a real geek because in an attempt to convert this I quickly recognized that you are 3 bits short. I guess that is the binary example of poor grammar?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Apparently I am a real geek because in an attempt to convert this I quickly recognized that you are 3 bits short. I guess that is the binary example of poor grammar?

Hahahah
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You should "loose" your attitude about more better grammer. ;)

That hurt.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Grammar nazi's are annoying, most times i'm just too lazy to correct my typos.

This. But shouldn't it be nazis, not nazi's? :devil:
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've found my new family in you guys. If I see a restaurant with a miss-spelled menu, I won't eat there (unless it's someone else's choice). If you can't SPELL what you're cooking..?! I think it's so important. I 'let it go' with some folks (I'm on a dating website, and for some time, I'd skip past anyone who didn't articulate themselves well) but times being tough in the get-a-man department I now let it go so long as they've spellechecked. They may still use 'their' wrongly or whatever, but at least they've made an attempt to spell.

A comedy one I came across in a care home I work with, on a questionnaire asking residents what activities they'd like: one option was 'carpet bowels'. hahah!

And people seem to forget the letter 'H'! 'Were' for 'where'. 'Weather' for 'whether' (I know there's a loose cannon A there too!). Ggrrr!
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I've found my new family in you guys. If I see a restaurant with a miss-spelled menu, I won't eat there (unless it's someone else's choice). If you can't SPELL what you're cooking..?! I think it's so important. I 'let it go' with some folks (I'm on a dating website, and for some time, I'd skip past anyone who didn't articulate themselves well) but times being tough in the get-a-man department I now let it go so long as they've spellechecked. They may still use 'their' wrongly or whatever, but at least they've made an attempt to spell.

A comedy one I came across in a care home I work with, on a questionnaire asking residents what activities they'd like: one option was 'carpet bowels'. hahah!

And people seem to forget the letter 'H'! 'Were' for 'where'. 'Weather' for 'whether' (I know there's a loose cannon A there too!). Ggrrr!

Surely it would be a "misspelled" menu?

And "spellechecked"?? Now I'm not sure if you're being serious! :)