Need encouragement

Options
Chikika
Chikika Posts: 28 Member
Hello! This isn't my first time starting my weight loss journey but I sure do hope it is the last. I've always been able to shed weight fairly quickly in the past. I began strict diet and exercise (even vigorous twice a day!) just 3 days ago, but I'm really discouraged that the number on the scale has gone up. This has never happened before. I know it's only 3 days in, but it just doesn't make sense that I've GAINED a pound.

Any advice or encouragement welcomed... :)

Replies

• Biscuitz89
    Options
    Hiya! I'm new to MFP myself (feel free to add) but a few pointers I picked up along the way - remember to drink water or your body tries to retain it. Muscle weighs more than fat - so it COULD be you ARE losing fat but putting sexy muscle on. I always give or take a pound at all times as our body is a.... body. Not a brick. A pound can change day in day out. I'm planning on checking mine once a week but I'm also going to measure my arms and butt etc since I can lose fat but might be putting muscle on due to my strength workouts. Hope this helps and GL!! It's early days yet :)
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You're looking at muscle inflammation right there - especially if you're jumping right into working out twice a day. Giving your body a chance to get used to this new routine and don't weigh yourself constantly - it will just mess with you mentally. Weigh every 1-2 weeks if you want, but this is a marathon, not a sprint!
  • lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm not professional and I suggest talking to a nutritionist or someone who has study this.

IMO, there are various reasons for weight fluctuation in general; muscle gain/loss, fat gain/loss, water retention, etc., etc. Your body is currently adjusting to your new diet and activity levels and could be gaining muscle or retaining water because you are working out more. Or it could be retaining fat more because you are eating less and it will take time for your body to tap into your stored fat. Either way, it will take time for your body to adjust and for the results you want to show. I re-evaluate my weight, bf%, and physique once a month to see if in need to adjust calories and macros. IMO, stick to your current program for a week or so and see if you start to notice changes. If they are not what you want, then re-evaluate from there. Good Luck!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Try only weighing yourself once a week and first thing in the AM. Our bodies can fluctuate by several pounds day to day and during the day, depending on what we have eaten, drank and the workouts that we have done. Take and record measurements and every two weeks or so check them against the previous numbers. As long as your measurements are going down or at least staying the same then the number on the scale is less of a concern.
    Example, my waistline has gone down several inches over the last several months but has really slowed down lately and I have gone up a few pounds but my thighs have increased by almost two inches. So I can surmise that I have put on muscle which explains the slight weight gain, I say this because muscle is denser and heavier than fat, and since the only measurements that have gone up are my thighs and a slight increase to my arms and I can see more definition in them I know that this is the case, plus my waistline has gone down ever so slightly.
    Also, I eat most of my exercise calories back, you have to fuel your engine.
    Well at least that has been working for me.
    Good luck.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I can only say be patient. your body will naturally fluctuate +/- 5 lbs from water ect so don't be worried if the number goes up during day to day weigh ins. it should take a few weeks for real weight loss to occur. at this point you can average the weigh ins and you should start to see a negative trend :) good luck
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Be patient!! It takes my body two weeks to get into the swing of things once I start a regimented diet and exercise program. I do also find if I start really working my muscles with a different or heavier routine, I will gain some water weight in the first few days; what I have been told by a fitness professional is the inflammation in muscles prompts your body to retain water. That is why fluids *water* is SOOOOO important. Drink lots and you will retain less. Good luck!!
  • Numerio
    Numerio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I want to tell you flat out that workouts help, but they're not essential. Remember this equation; overweight=overeating. Or, if you prefer, calories in<calories out.

I said workouts help, and they do! If you are nearing your calorie limit, exercise, and you'll add some calories to your limit. (That is just the way I look at it, but I'm sure it could be explained better!)
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and you will retain less. Good luck!!

a good rule of thumb is take your body weight divide by 2 and drink this many ounces of water per day
  • Chikika
    Options
    Wow this is all so good to hear :) You are all so wonderful. I had never heard of muscle inflammation before. Every other time I've dieted, it's been closer to starving myself while I watch tv to pass the time. This time I want to be STRONG!
  • Chikika
    Options
    Also anyone can feel free to add me, I've never tried doing it with friends :)
  • fancyblossom83
    fancyblossom83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can someone help? I am new to community and can't seem to figure out how to add friends.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Click on the username and it will bring up another window. You should be able to click on a button which says "add friend"