2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I'm a long-standing MFP member and would love to mentor/sponsor a newbie! A little about me:

I'm a writer by trade and a runner by passion; recently (September '14) adopted a Paleo lifestyle; reached my goal weight (total loss of 15 lbs to get to 120) three months ago and have been successfully maintaining since then; write a healthy recipe blog; run an 8'30" average (down from 11'00" starting out!); live in the Charlotte, NC area; am obsessed with my puppy, Thompson; and love reading, the Carolina Panthers, Grey's Anatomy, any good Malbec, and hiking.
  • dfelene
    dfelene Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I volunteer as a mentor. I like to lift, no it doesn't make you "bulky". I like to eat as food is fuel not the enemy. And I am sarcastic, so thin skinned folks need not apply.

I'm a noobie in need of a mentor to help me reach my weight loss goals. I appreciate blunt honest and sarcasm. Lol
  • dreenesho
    dreenesho Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey! I'm 18, a senior in highschool looking for a mentor to keep me on track. Just started and I'm very motivated but can get discouraged sometimes. I'm 6' and 207 lbs today and looking to lose 30-40 lbs. I feel like someone closer to my age that I can relate with would be helpful. I don't want to follow a strict diet or start lifting heavy weights, but more like a general better lifestyle with healthier choices and working out. Message me so I can get to know people! Thanks
  • smai91
    smai91 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm a bit of a noob and would love to be adopted! I'm always looking for extra motivation, encouragement, advice and support.

I'm a 23 year old student, currently trying to get into the best shape of my life. I've lost 35 lbs already, and would like to lose another 85 lbs to get to my goal weight.

My main motivation is my trip to Greece this July - I would like to lose as much as I can before I go, so I can look semi decent in a bathing suit!

Feel free to add me/send me a message. Thank you :smiley:
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I need a mentor!

Here's a bit about me: I'm 5'1, and looking to lose 40-45 lbs. I've had 2 babies, and lots of delicious food - my mother in law is a wonderful cook and baker ;) But it's time. I want my body back. I used to be quite athletic as a teen and could eat anything, but just never changed my eating habits as I aged. ALL my weight seems to collect around my midsection - belly/hips and thighs. I am done with this muffin top! I HATE IT!

Any mommy mentors out there willing to help? I'm 110% committed!
  • Spartanxi
    Spartanxi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Can mentor ; Lost 55lbs, 35lbs more to go

If you are doing Keto or any ULC/LCHF (low carb) then you're the perfect candidate !
    Or if you are trying to get into Krav maga
  • rwking198
    rwking198 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day on here. I am looking to loose a lot of weight and build some muscle. I have tried to lose weight befor but always gave up because I really just have no idea what I'm doing. Today is day 5 of working out and eating healthy for me. It would be awesome if some one out there would be willing to share some advice and motivation.
  • ekuncl
    ekuncl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you still looking for a mentor? Since taking control of myself, I've learned a TON about the science behind fitness, eating, etc. I've used that personally and have since moved on to helping friends in my free time who have needed help gaining weight, toning up, losing weight, etc. Sadly..."wanting" to be fit vs having the mindset to go out and actually do it are two VERY different things! My friends wanted results without making changes. I'd also love to win the lotto, but you've got to buy the ticket first. I figured this may be a better place to find people to help out who actually want my help rather than wasting my time. I've helped men and women, so don't be afraid if you're a woman that I've got one cookie cutter plan that's "one size fits all" for everyone. Everyone is different and things take a little fine tuning. Basics are usually the same, but everyone is a little different, so if you aren't looking to waste my time and are committed to this, I'm game. Add me and let's go from there.

My background:
    I was an athlete through high school and college, graduating high school at 180 and college at 190. I had to learn the hard way that 5,000 calories/day was no longer appropriate for a desk job and working out a few times per week. Cutting my calories back to 3,000 felt like I was starving myself after 10 years of setting that as my appetite.

After topping out at 241 (2009) and having gone from being a gymnast, to someone who needed to push up off his legs to stand up off the couch, I decided it was time to take control of my life to make sure I was able to be active with my kids as they grow older. I managed to drop all the way down to 167 in 2011, but have worked on putting some muscle back on to find a better weight for me at my current 187 and have been under that 200 lbs mark for 4 years now.

I'm a single dad, who's addicted to crossfit, running, lifting, and anything I can do to be active. I've had to teach myself how to eat responsibly and it's now my new lifestyle.
  • Saro22222222
    Saro22222222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd love to find a knowledgeable mentor who's similar to me - a woman around age 39, fat pretty much all my adult life, who has lost or is losing over 100 pounds. I need to lose 150 lbs right away so I'm in better shape to try to conceive before it's too late for me. I'd love to pick your brain and find out what all those acronyms I keep reading about mean. I'm very dedicated to this journey and love laughing. I won't bug you too much, promise.
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Anyone want to adopt me? 24-year-old from Miami here trying to drop 15 pounds and tone up. I lost 27 on my own but am having a hard time with these last few. Any advice is appreciated!
  • slimmingfairy
    slimmingfairy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for mentors to include location - I am looking for one there seem to only be a few in the UK
  • LetrellC
    LetrellC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello, all.

I am available to mentor/support RNY post surgical individuals.

I'm 57 yrs old and am being called by my docs at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego their "Poster Child". I had a RNY wls in June 2009. I lost from 320 down to 102 (horribly underweight). With constant monitoring and following some mighty fine dietary guidelines, I am happily up to 125; a weight I have to watch daily in order to not lose weight.

I have had several WLS patients referred to me by my PCM for support and built some very solid relationships. Not all have been successful in maintaining their weight loss, but are not just giving up. Giving up....well, that's not an option. Not losing...that's a fact of life. When it comes down to it, we need each other for support. Mentoring others helps ME emotionally. It gives me the satisfaction that eating used to give me.

I figure I can handle 4 or 5 right now. If interested, please give me a shout. I WILL respond. It may take a day or two, but I try hard to get on here daily now and check things out.

Life is good.
  • MHKKAK
    MHKKAK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm kind of a newbie bc I joined last year, then fell off the wagon as they say. Trying to get back on track but could use some help. How do we go about doing this? How are we linked with a mentor? I'd love someone to guide me!
    Also, I have no idea how to start a discussion but I have a question and it's been driving me insane since last year:
    When I started my quest, each time, I set my goal weight and it told me how many calories, etc. I should be having daily to get to that weight. I don't recall it giving me a time frame, though. Anyhow, I've been back on for a week, and each day it gives me the same summary: that I will be xx lbs. in 5 weeks. Now, time is passing, and I'm doing what I am supposed to do. Why wouldn't that number of lbs go down? This is assuming I'm maintaining my weight at xx, but at only 1200 calories, I'd be expecting that number to go down as time passes.
    I had the same issue last year when I started, and was on MFP for months. So I just gave up looking at that summary, and then gave up altogether.
    I thought I'd give it one more try, but clearly I need some assistance.

Thanks!
    MHKKAK
  • vickitoriaa86
    Options
    Noob here!

I would LOVE a mentor! I've been working my butt off for the past two weeks. Some direction and motivation would be awesommmmme! I would like to know if I am doing this right... Lol! :)

-Victoria
  • charityc93
    Options
    Hi I'm Charity; I'm 22 years old, 5'9'' 196 lbs, my goal weight is 150 lbs. I'm not new to MFP, this is my second time using it. I used MFP in the past (Summer 2014) and lost 17 lbs but gained back 12 lbs due to bad eating habits and not staying committed to my exercise regimen. Anywhooo.....

I would love to have a mentor!
    Add me!
  • christopherbourassa72
    Options
    Hi I'm Chris, I am 42 years old and have battled with my weight for most of my life(usually weight wins). I have gone from a high of 360lbs to an adult low of 223lbs. Over the last 2 years it had crept up on me until this past January I was 316lbs on my doctors scale. I started using MFP then and with logging in my food intake daily I am currently at 287lbs. I would like to get back at least to my previous low. I hope to be able to get back on my bike when the snow finally melts. Any words of encouragement from a mentor would be greatly appreciated.
  • rushgirl2112
    rushgirl2112 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like a mentor. I am again trying to lose. I have some health issues but now am trying HCG again low cal, low carb/no sugar added. I have tried Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, plus a variety of other plans, pills, and etc. This is my last attempt.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would like a mentor. I am again trying to lose. I have some health issues but now am trying HCG again low cal, low carb/no sugar added. I have tried Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, plus a variety of other plans, pills, and etc. This is my last attempt.

Have you tried measuring/weighing and counting calories...and eating at a reasonable yet consistent calorie deficit over an extended period of time? I highly recommend it as an alternative last (or better, first) attempt.

ETA: As for you looking for a mentor, the way to do that is explained in Rachel's post directly above yours.
  • michellethecat
    Options
    Hii:)
    I am Michelle and maybe I could be your 'student'
    I am a vegan girl and would like to start woth yoga and stuff and yeah:)
    I mainly want to tone my body so It would be great <3
    Xx Michelle
    yogaveg wrote: »
    I have never mentored someone before but I would love to help in any way I can. My philosophy is not weight loss focused but getting more in tuned with and honoring your body, mind and spirit. I am a vegetarian who will be transitioning to veganism in the new year and would love to help someone transition to a vegetarian or plant based diet!

A little bit about me: I'm a yoga student and registered yoga instructor, I am a college student studying exercise science, my main forms of exercise include yoga, rock climbing, and running. I'm young (19) but I'm so passionate about mind, body, spirit wellness and learning to love yourself as you are right here, right now.

If your new years goals are related to yoga, meditation, mindful/ intuitive eating, or vegetarianism/ veganism I would love to help you out

• knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi. I've recently been through a 2nd trimester pregnancy loss, have a somewhat short term goal of losing 15 lbs in the next three months before we try to conceive again, and to maintain a healthy weight throughout that pregnancy, whenever it takes place. That event has been my biggest motivator to make weight loss a priority. My long term goals are to lose about 45-50 lbs to get back to my pre-pregnancy size from before I had my previous two full term pregnancies (two boys, 5 and 2). I'm a stay at home mom, 5'6.5" and currently 190 lbs. I studied molecular and cellular biology in college, worked as an EMT, and spent 6 years in the Army guard as a medic/ROTC cadet (read: forced early morning work outs. I've struggled mentally for years to get back into the gym because of the time I spent forced into working out in ways I didn't enjoy). Now that I stay home, I refinish/paint furniture in my spare time and sell at a shop- someday would like to go back to school for a graduate or professional degree. My husband is also in the military and is a physician. That said, I'm a skeptic. I believe in science and medicine, and don't believe in health fads/organic diets/demonizing certain foods or chemicals based on a lack of understanding. I'm working out about 5 days a week, running 4 1/2-5 miles 3x a week, and doing zumba on the days opposite (I would be open to some strength training, I just don't really know what to do). If you have an opening and could be a good fit for me, I would love to have a mentor. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.