looking for a GPS watch and a heart rate sensor, any suggestions?

Options
Robbnva
Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
I've seen the ones together that are like $250, but I can't afford those. Is there a cheaper watch that will work with my polar h1 strap or maybe a cheaper one that comes with their own strap? I've got about $150 to spend. Thanks in advanced

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What activities do you do? What data are you truly trying to track?

At that price point you can find the older model Garmins (110 for running, 310xt if you're looking for multisport capability) ... some of the entry level systems like the Garmin Forerunner 15 .... the TomTom Runner is around $99 plus the cost of a separate bluetooth HR strap ...

One thing to look for in the cheaper GPS / HR sets is the construction of the HR strap itself. A lot of the older, cheaper models are the more rigid plastic straps, not the fabric ones. It can be a comfort issue.

Garmin uses ANT+ to talk between the HR strap and watch (any ANT+ strap works with their systems). Polar offers bluetooth straps (works with pretty much any bluetooth smart GPS watch). They are not interchangeable. Wahoo makes a HR strap that transmits to both for around $55 on Amazon. You can mix and match brands as long as the communication platform matches.

dcrainmaker.com has reviews of most systems and a comparison guide that lets you select by budget, moderate, and high end.

• clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    dcrainmaker.com has really good reviews so you can decide for yourself. I think the Polar M400 might be your best option but definitely spend a bunch of time on that site. It's how I decided which watch to get (Garmin 220 but that cost 225)

Also consider getting older models, which are cheaper than the newer ones.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Now spring is around the corner I'm going to get back into jogging, will probably jog 3x a week and walk on other days, maybe a class or 2 at the gym but mainly used for jogging.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Remember that even under ideal circumstances HRMs only provide an estimate on calories and are not designed or programmed for most classes, lifting, yoga, etc.

A less expensive option than a GPS watch is a HR strap paired to your phone and a free app.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    The running apps grossly miscalculate your actual running distance.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Remember that even under ideal circumstances HRMs only provide an estimate on calories and are not designed or programmed for most classes, lifting, yoga, etc.

A less expensive option than a GPS watch is a HR strap paired to your phone and a free app.

The difference is huge.

I went for a run and I used my phone one day. It lost GPS when I went under an overpass & I lost about half of mile of tracking. After that, I did a test.

I started the app on my phone, approximately a minute and a half later, I started my Garmin watch (Forerunner 410). I was moving in the time lapse. The distance was the same.

The next day, I started and stopped them at approximately the same time. Over 0.25mi difference between the two.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    I saw a TomTom cardio that has a built in hr monitor, its kinda pricy though. Are the garmin watches good?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    That depends more on your phone than the app. I was using Runkeeper for a couple years and loved it but when I switched to this Note 3 the GPS sucked donkey [censored] and was worthless as a tracking device. I have a Garmin Forerunner 220. A watch is tons better than the phone for sure. It's dedicated hardware and it doesn't matter if it rains on it and an incoming call/text doesn't mess it up.

In my opinion the HRM isn't that necessary. The watch estimates calories sort of okay without it. Mine does give a slightly higher estimate without the HRM but I haven't used the chest strap with mine for months. I don't miss that part of it.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm a polar fan because I swim, you can get a M400 inc HR strap for around 160 new on ebay.But I'm still waiting on mine, to do an eventually review in a couple of weeks. If you are willing to carry around your phone then you could just use that.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    the fitbit Charge HR does steps and HR and if you don't mind bringing your phone with you, you can connect it to your phone and get GPS that way. the Charge HR is $150
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    That depends more on your phone than the app. I was using Runkeeper for a couple years and loved it but when I switched to this Note 3 the GPS sucked donkey [censored] and was worthless as a tracking device. I have a Garmin Forerunner 220. A watch is tons better than the phone for sure. It's dedicated hardware and it doesn't matter if it rains on it and an incoming call/text doesn't mess it up.

In my opinion the HRM isn't that necessary. The watch estimates calories sort of okay without it. Mine does give a slightly higher estimate without the HRM but I haven't used the chest strap with mine for months. I don't miss that part of it.

Exactly. Blaming the app because of the limitations of a person's phone is putting the blame in the wrong place. For those that run known distances, a stopwatch works just fine.

sdado1013 wrote: »
    the fitbit Charge HR does steps and HR and if you don't mind bringing your phone with you, you can connect it to your phone and get GPS that way. the Charge HR is $150

The Fitbits with HR are good all day trackers that aren't doing great during exercise. The narrow band, lack of side shielding, and amount of bounce in the device allows light in which makes the HR collect inaccurate.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin forerunner 210. They can be expensive but I think it is totally worth it. I used mapmyrun once and it killed my phone battery quickly (granted I was also playing music and the battery was at 80%). That is not something I am willing to risk again. I also like how easy it is to just look down at my wrist.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I would second the Garmin devices (110 isn't the best but fits the price range)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I was going to make this point, myself. While I love my GPS watch, it's not necessary if you have a smartphone and live in an area where you get a good data signal.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I have had many different types. I would suggest a Garmin forerunner of some sort.
    Go to dcrainmaker.com and look at the 10 or 15.

If you want to stick to your polar strap - look at the Polar models - the base ones don't have a GPS function but you can find a 400 or an RC3 for $150 on sale.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Are the garmin watches good?

I have a FR310XT that I predominantly use for running, though also cycling. I'm very happy with it. Should fit in your price range as it's older technology, but it's capable for what you describe.
  • Robbnva
    Options

Yeah but I'm sure the accuracy of the phone will be about as reliable as the running apps
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Are the garmin watches good?

I have a FR310XT that I predominantly use for running, though also cycling. I'm very happy with it. Should fit in your price range as it's older technology, but it's capable for what you describe.

Garmin watches ans devices are excellent - I've had the 15, Fenix 2, 405, 405CX and a handheld 60CX and a bike 900.

Now, their website.... not always so good.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Yeah but I'm sure the accuracy of the phone will be about as reliable as the running apps

Turn your phone on GPS navigation when you're going somewhere in your car and see how well it matches where you are vs. where it thinks you are. If it occasionally loses GPS signal or doesn't give you navigation prompts at the correct time I wouldn't use it to track running. I know this from experience.

// I hate my phone's GPS abilities.