a friend who says i am obsessed and ovethinking weightloss?

Options
i have a friend she recently started raspberry ketones and prima cleanse. she has lost 10lbs in a fortnight taking them ... i assume they make you lose a lot of water? anywhoo she thinks i am overthinking my weight loss methods. i go every day by CICO and working out. i recently added some T2 to the mix because i have plateaued. i live by the fact this is what makes weight loss and not eating a *kitten* diet and then taking pills to make you crap all the water in your body out? to me being healthy and doing HIIT training has transformed my body so much and carefully watching what i eat. i have allowed the odd takeaway and alcoholic drink but i am really determined because for me it is all about body image. Now i dont buy into these free pill trials and losing all this (weight) in 2 weeks because i believe hard work is the key to fat loss. i got a little upset by this because i have lost 47lbs through diet and exercise alone in 18 months but she will not eat fruit veg or even workout but then expects pills to do it for her?
she also said with fat burners you dont need to modify your diet ??? i clearly knew this was wrong but how do i deal with this.. i do not feel i am obsessed or doing anything wrong but i think her knowledge on the subject is a lacking a little

Replies

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Is this a rant or do you have a question?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod and tell her "you do you and I'll do me"
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No comment on the raspberry; you'll get plenty of comments regarding that.

I would say: stop talking to your friend about dieting. She may think you're obsessing simply because you're talking about it so much. It may be a two-way street; she may be bringing the subject up frequently. I don't know. If she does, I'd just say, "I'm so happy you're doing so well!" If she says, "You should stop what you're doing and try what I'm doing," I'd say, "I'll think about that! Hey, did you see last night's episode of X?" and change the subject.

If she brings it up more than you'd like and won't be dissuaded, I'd say, "We just keep having this same conversation. I say, each of us does what's right for her own body" and change the subject again.

BUT if it's you bringing up the subject...stop.

I have an autistic son and I have a friend who was constantly bringing up New Autism Therapy X that "performed miracles." I'd either tell her I'd already try it (she'd argue that maybe I didn't do it right), say I'd researched the science and it was bogus (she'd say "Oh, but my friend experienced miracles with this!") or otherwise engage her. Nowadays I say "How interesting! There is SO much research nowadays in the field of autism and our kids have more hope than ever" or something like that, and change the subject.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

yes sorry the point being how do i deal with her.

and no i never bring this up she keeps trying to tell me to take these pills

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    This is why everyone has their own bodies to do with what they choose.

Just stay your course, congrats on your success! Most health care professionals would agree with your take on weight loss. It is healthy and will lead to long term success because you are changing your habits that led to being overweight ;)

Politely tell your friend you both have your own opinions and if she can't respect yours and stop making you feel bad about it, then she clearly isn't your friend. It is okay to have differing opinions and discuss them like adults. But it sounds like she is jealous and possibly trying to bring you down. You can try to educate her or have a discussion. But again, everyone can do with their bodies as they choose. Stay focused on you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    She's been duped by the diet industry. They're robbing her blind and ruining her body. Most of her weight loss is water and muscle, I'm sure. The loss of muscle will make it that much more difficult for her to keep the weight off and lose it again after she's gained it all back.

The next time she goes off on you how easy it is to lose weight by using pills, ask her how she plans to maintain her weight once she reaches her goal. I'm betting she has no strategy unless it's "take more pills when I realize I've gained all of the weight back."
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, when she gains all the weight back because she never learned to modify her eating habits, she'll either shut her mouth, or, when she sees you keeping it off, will come around to your way of thinking. Time will tell.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Smile and nod and tell her "you do you and I'll do me"

+ 1 She'll gain the weight back, then some. You are obviously having success doing the CICO method. Keep at it; you're doing great :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating to hear of someone losing 10 pounds in a couple of weeks on a fad diet, when we are working our butts off for 1 pound or less a week. But we also know that this is a temporary loss for your friend. Just smile and say "that's nice" and in a couple of weeks, when she gains the weight back, plus more and is crying over how she can't lose weight, you can offer suggestions on what is working for you.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    And I agree with the suggestion to stop discussing weight loss with her.
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options

Okay. So tell her "I'm so glad they're working for you. Everybody is different, we all find our own path, now let's go shopping for that pair of shoes" or something like that.

If she continues to be intrusive about it, it's time for a Come to Jesus talk. "It makes me uncomfortable when you continue to try to get me to take the raspberry ketones. I just don't want to try it, period."

If she STILL refuses to stop, is she really your friend? I mean who does that? Lay off!

• LAWoman72
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    She's been duped by the diet industry. They're robbing her blind and ruining her body. Most of her weight loss is water and muscle, I'm sure. The loss of muscle will make it that much more difficult for her to keep the weight off and lose it again after she's gained it all back.

The next time she goes off on you how easy it is to lose weight by using pills, ask her how she plans to maintain her weight once she reaches her goal. I'm betting she has no strategy unless it's "take more pills when I realize I've gained all of the weight back."

I say, don't engage her. If the OP says this, you KNOW the friend is going to say, "But this is a jump-start" or "this allows you to teach yourself better eating while losing the weight" or some other-such. And it will just go 'round and 'round in circles.

• stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Tell her you're allergic to raspberries ;)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

She's probably jealous of your progress so far, knows that she does not want to or chooses not to improve her diet and start working out, so she's trying to convince herself via you and anyone else who will listen to her that surely there has to be a different method! Purely speculative on my part, obviously. Just basing that off of what you posted.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's T2?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

She's wrong.

You know shes wrong.

We know she's wrong.

Deep down, even if she won't admit it, *she* knows she's wrong.

Let time be the educator here. She'll eventually ... relapse (for lack of a better word ) and you'll be living your new life.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Say "I will not take pills to lose weight. You can do what you like but if you want to remain friends never suggest pills to me again."
    If she does it it again hang up or leave.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. (*) :D Let her live in her own weirdness. Find things to talk about other than weight loss with the deep knowledge that you are doing what is right for you. <3
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    What's T2?

Alpha T2 for thermogenisis. i like the thermo method for burning fat. i tend to eat lots of thermo foods. but i thought a suppliment could not hurt. she did make a comment about it being like ephedrine which she also used to take.
    1. ephedrine is illegal in the UK without a prescription
    2. i would never take stimulants of this nature
    3. shes comparing my natural fat burners to ephedrine?

she told me earlier she has lost a stone in 9 days so two different stories so i think shes fibbing
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You don't have anything else to talk about? Don't talk health issues, plain and simple. Not really difficult.