PCOS(polycystic-ovary-syndrome)

Options
2»

Replies

• K8cain
    K8cain Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Hi K8! When I first started I was looking online to see how low carb I should go. I found that they recommended 30-40% of your daily intake should be carbs when going low carb. And that's only if you don't want to do the EXTREME low carb. I love carbs too much so that's what I did. I just altered my goals on here to 30% carbs and then 35% each for protein and fat. The 30% results in about 100-120g of carbs, but calorie goal is set to 1450. If you're doing a 1200 cal diet then I suspect the amount of carbs would be lower. You just gotta make sure you're eating the right carbs. No white stuff! And no sugar! :smiley:

You may need to go lower, but that's what has worked for me so far. [/quote]

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that info!! Will definitely start there!!!
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    deagerth wrote: »
    I've had PCOS for a while now and was morbidly obese. I’m on a contraceptive pill and Metformin 1000 SR.

I started loosing weight on from Jan 2014. Started at 264 lbs, currently at 184 lbs and going. It takes time, but it’s possible. The cycle is predictable now because of the pills, but the cramps are not severe. The fatigue spells have almost disappeared. All the reports are encouraging.

For me personally, weight management has helped. I have a long way to go in terms of reaching my target weight. Hopefully everything will get resolved by then. Please don’t loose heart.

Archana that's amazing congrats! Did u do low carb? If so do mind sharing how many u started at? I'm doing keto for a few weeks but will switch to low carb soon. TIA!

@deagerth Thank you! I follow MFP's recommendation .

Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,200 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 150.0 g
    Fat / Day 40.0 g
    Protein / Day 60.0 g

Being an Indian, most of our food is rich in Carbs :\ But I see that as long as the caloric deficit is maintained, the weight loss is slow but consistent.

When I want to shed lbs fast I switch to high protein for a few weeks without adjusting the MFP macros.

In March I’m going to try switching goals to 40% Carbs (from the current 50%) and up my protein to 60%. There are experts in the forum who can advice you on low carb diets if you are going to try.

What worked for me after many years is – Losing weight through Caloric deficit, proper medication (I have Thyroid issues, PCOS and Asthma – talk about the perfect storm!) and exercise.

I’m sure you’ll find what works for you soon enough :)
    I have around 53 lbs more to shed. If you’d feel comfortable adding me, we can keep each other motivated.

We can DO this!

• deagerth
    Options
    @archanajoyce‌ oh awesome- ok thx!
  • deagerth
    Options
    I can't figure out how to add friends lol! I see the option to use FB, email or contacts but those won't work for ppl on here I don't know... ?
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see some PCOS ladies on here! I was diagnosed Dec 2012. I had crazy cycles like 1 every 6 months. I am also insulin resistant. I took met for a year but it didn't do much except make me puke daily so I went all natural and started taking garlic and macs root supplements. I now have AF every 2 months and feel so much better. I'm hoping losing some weight will help out as I suffer from infertility and my husband and I have been TTC since June of 2012. Add me as a friend or tag me and I will add you!
  • pickelang
    Options
    Consider lower carb diet.
    Metformin. Is a definite
    Consult an endocrinologist as well as weight management.
  • jlwoodmass
    jlwoodmass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    deagerth wrote: »
    I can't figure out how to add friends lol! I see the option to use FB, email or contacts but those won't work for ppl on here I don't know... ?

Hi deagerth, just click on someone's username and it will take you to their profile. You'll see a little person with a plus sign. Just click on that!
  • asm2014
    asm2014 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm so happy to see other PCOS ladies like myself. It's scary to think a lot of us only have 3-4 periods a year or have really long 30-40 day cycles!!

I was diagnosed at 20, started metformin and it gave me the worst stomach aches! I quit after a year and gained 30 lbs easily! I turned 30 and was newly married and the thought of my irregular cycles really scared me. I went through random fad diets, intermittent fasting and etc etc for 2 years. I started watching what I ate during the holidays (2014) when I was disgusted with myself and for the past 2-3 months I have had 2 menstrual cycles!! I have slowly lowered my carbohydrates (from 50% to 40%.. I loved carbs, so I need baby steps) and I plan on continuing to do so. I WISH I had started sooner than later!!

Message me, let's be friends, let's be each other's support systems.. I know how it feels to be sitting at your OBGYN and being told the "news" and then crying to yourself in your car.
  • megandhight
    Options
    asm2014 wrote: »

Message me, let's be friends, let's be each other's support systems.. I know how it feels to be sitting at your OBGYN and being told the "news" and then crying to yourself in your car.

I cried not because I had to deal with PCOS but because its so hard for me to get pregnant. I was so upset I started eating food to comfort me. Of course that made me gain weight and my PCOS just got worse and worse. I'm finally ready to take charge and get my life on the right track. I'm gonna add you as a friend now and if you ever need support know I am here for you.
  • lineman3169
    Options
    I am so happy to hear that I am not alone! Thanks so much ladies!
  • asm2014
    asm2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    asm2014 wrote: »

I cried not because I had to deal with PCOS but because its so hard for me to get pregnant. I was so upset I started eating food to comfort me. Of course that made me gain weight and my PCOS just got worse and worse. I'm finally ready to take charge and get my life on the right track. I'm gonna add you as a friend now and if you ever need support know I am here for you.

Awesome. Yes, I forgot to mention that's also why I cried... The thought of struggling to conceive really upset me.

Can't wait to see where we all will be at the end of this year ladies!!
  • Hello all! I was recently diagnosed, and I was wondering if I could friend anyone?
  • MsRaveen09
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few years ago and I really didn't pay attention to it until my symptoms got much worse. I've gained a tremendous amount of weight and I know if I Dont take care of this it will only get worse. So I took a vow to myself that I would work non stop to change. At the moment I'm in the process of working with my doctor to determine what would be the best route to take as far as medication. I'm also taking several vitamins such as cinnamon, B-complex, fish oil, and a daily women's vitamin. I know I have a major challenge in from of me but, I'm willing to fight for my health.
  • triz91
    triz91 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey I was diagnosed with it sophomore year in college. I have all of the above. Irregular periods, unwanted hair, you name it. The best thing that has worked for me is following the paleo diet very closely. No refrained grains what so ever, and lots of exercise! When I was doing that, i was getting my period, and felt so much better.

• megandhight
    Options
    Hello all! I was recently diagnosed, and I was wondering if I could friend anyone?

Absolutely! Friend me :)
  • MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I actually was diagnosed back in high school. Now I'm looking to get married next year and have kids right away. I just started Metformin today; something used to make you ovulate. Crossing my fingers that it works :)
  • megandhight
    Options
    I actually was diagnosed back in high school. Now I'm looking to get married next year and have kids right away. I just started Metformin today; something used to make you ovulate. Crossing my fingers that it works :)

Metformin actually isn't a drug for ovulation its for type 2 diabetes. It does help some women ovulate because it gets their insulin resistance in check but if you don't have insulin resistance then I would ask the doctor to switch you to clomid which is specifically for ovulation.