body fat % & cellulite.

Options
Kymmu
Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
A body building site claims if I get body fat % below 20, I should get rid of cellulite. I'm at 23 % now according to a dexa scan I had. It's not dreadful, but I'd like it gone.
My Question is to any females out there who are under 20 % do you have any cellulite?
Are body weight exercises enough ( pilates and dance?) weights don't enthral me unfortunately.
Those who claim it's hereditary I can honestly say my mum has skinny legs with no cellulite!!

Replies

• Kymmu
    Options
    anybody?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OK here goes. I posted this once before. I've lived in Italy for 30 yrs. I read an article by a doctor here talking about celulite. He said the best excercises are swimming and walking. Also massages can help but they can be counterproductive if too vigorous. I'm 60 and had alot more celulite years ago--now I have very little. I was interested in the article because I've been swimming+acqua-gym for 20 yrs, and I walk alot around Rome. About 7 yrs ago I bought a massager for the shower. You put your liquid soap in it and massage as you soap up in the shower--takes 5 min. The results have been great. Yes, I know it's hereditary, but that doesn't mean you can't better the situation. Good luck. B)
    PS My body fat is over 20%--probably around 23%.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think it's largely hereditary, but whether mine shows or not does seem to depend on my body fat level.

I'm not under 20%, though, and I doubt I'd want to be. I don't think it would look good on me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is genetic. For some women it doesn't matter how low their body fat is they're still going to have it. I would suggest you read this article to find out a little bit more about it.

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    According to WebMD, here are the causes of cellulite:
    What Causes Cellulite
    Having cellulite doesn't mean you are overweight. Even thin people can have it. If you are overweight, however, losing weight may reduce cellulite.
    Cellulite is more common among women than men. If other women in your family have cellulite, there's a good chance you will too.
    Other factors that influence how much cellulite you have and how visible it is include:
    • Poor diet
    • Fad dieting
    • Slow metabolism
    • Lack of physical activity
    • Hormone changes
    • Dehydration
    • Total body fat
    • Thickness and color of your skin

So, reducing total body fat can help with cellulite. However, if you have other factors causing your cellulite, there's no guardsmen that it will go away when you drop your BF%.

Also on WebMD: Experts agree that the most effective exercise routine for cellulite is one that incorporates aerobic exercise and strength training along with a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and fiber. Sounds like a good start.

I've lost 66 lbs. The backs of my legs are still dimply, but way less so.
  • 454Baba454
    454Baba454 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    18% body fat and still got the same as when i was 21%

so no difference here
    maybe drinking more water might help you
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was at 24% last year; I'm probably around 22% now. My cellulite is almost completely gone, but I started to notice a huge difference when I started lifting in general.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm at 20% bf. I can't see getting to 18% making any difference. To combat the appearance of cellulite I am building more mucle in my quads, hams and glutes. HOPEFULLY this will minimize the appearance. Short of lipo I am not sure you can get rid of it only minimize the appeance.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Even at body fat low enough to compete (and place) in a bodybuilding competition I had cellulite (along with many, many other women). Low body fat and adequate lean body mass do make it less noticeable.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I was at 24% last year; I'm probably around 22% now. My cellulite is almost completely gone, but I started to notice a huge difference when I started lifting in general.

This. Mine was much more noticeable on my thighs years ago before I started lifting seriously. Now it is almost gone. I have one little patch on one thigh, but I decided to view that as my fuel reserve in case I'm ever lost in the woods without food for a long period of time!

Honestly, though, lifting made a world of difference. About 5 years ago I had almost given up wearing shorts, but was so angry about that I decided to take action: heavy lifting. Now, as long as I'm consistent that one little patch is almost non-existent. I'm probably the only person who sees it.

I also get a 60 min. deep tissue massage once every 3 - 4 weeks. I have no idea if it helps with cellulite or not; I just enjoy how it makes my muscles feel after lifting.
  • stefaniewalters77
    stefaniewalters77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm at 22 percent body fat. Started at 26. Still no big difference in cellulite. Just recently started a new vitamin called gotu kola. Suppose to help with my circulation and help reduce cellulite. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try. It does a number of other things for your body too.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I had tons of cellulite when I started... Guessing I was around 30%. It started improving around 23-24% and now at 20-21% it basically gone, so theres still hope :P
  • Kymmu
    Options
    Hey thanks so much for all of your advice. I still have hope :)