Good fats versus bad fat

Options
I wish that my fitness pal would update the fact that polyunsaturated and mono unsaturated fat is good, as compared to saturated fat. Polly and mono-unsaturated fat burns fat.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat is good.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Saturated fat is good.

i really hope you are being sarcastic
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat is good. All fat is good and we need a balance of all kinds of fat (other than transfat). TOO MUCH of a GOOD thing can be BAD. It's all about balance.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Saturated fat is good. All fat is good and we need a balance of all kinds of fat (other than transfat). TOO MUCH of a GOOD thing can be BAD. It's all about balance.

Yes and no. Like carbohydrates, saturated fat is essential for your body to function properly, however there is no recommended dietary minimum for saturated fat because your body can produce all that it needs. Too much dietary saturated fat otoh, has been linked to high cholesterol in many studies, however there are other studies that question the link, especially if you replace saturated fat with sugar.

So while there is no recommended dietary minimum, there is a recommended maximum, and it's not all that high, usually on the order of 14g to 20g. That's not very much and the typical American diet tends to exceed it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ask yourself why in nature that most whole foods that have fat, and that's pretty much all food sources contain all three major types in different degrees depending on the nutritional needs (profile) of that particular food.....all are good, none are bad.
  • peter56765
    Options
    Ask yourself why in nature that most whole foods that have fat, and that's pretty much all food sources contain all three major types in different degrees depending on the nutritional needs (profile) of that particular food.....all are good, none are bad.

Humans don't tend to eat foods found in nature. We eat foods that we have been selectively bred over the centuries to match our liking. The almonds that you find in nature, for example, tend to contain a lot of cyanide which has no nutritional value at all and is in fact a poison. You don't ever want to eat a wild almond. Occasionally, nature will produce an almond with a recessive trait that reduces the amount of cyanide. Humans bred those almonds extensively, each time creating an almond with less poison until we came up with the version that we consume today. Along the way, we also tended to selectively breed almonds that were bigger and tastier.

In a similar fashion, other plants and animals were selectively bred to provide us with more of what we want: more meat, more fat, bigger seed pods, sweeter taste, etc. All of this was done long before we understand anything about different types of fat. Today we can manufacture all kinds of foods but nutrition is still a relatively new science and it's hard to say definitely how much of anything we should or shouldn't eat. We can't depend on what's in "nature" because we don't eat natural foods and besides, ancient humans who did tended to die young and who really knows how much of that was diet related?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

Humans don't tend to eat foods found in nature. We eat foods that we have been selectively bred over the centuries to match our liking. The almonds that you find in nature, for example, tend to contain a lot of cyanide which has no nutritional value at all and is in fact a poison. You don't ever want to eat a wild almond. Occasionally, nature will produce an almond with a recessive trait that reduces the amount of cyanide. Humans bred those almonds extensively, each time creating an almond with less poison until we came up with the version that we consume today. Along the way, we also tended to selectively breed almonds that were bigger and tastier.

In a similar fashion, other plants and animals were selectively bred to provide us with more of what we want: more meat, more fat, bigger seed pods, sweeter taste, etc. All of this was done long before we understand anything about different types of fat. Today we can manufacture all kinds of foods but nutrition is still a relatively new science and it's hard to say definitely how much of anything we should or shouldn't eat. We can't depend on what's in "nature" because we don't eat natural foods and besides, ancient humans who did tended to die young and who really knows how much of that was diet related?
    Which has nothing to do with anything, it is what it is and if I thought that because avocado has more saturated fat than wild salmon on a gram basis and stopped eating avocado because genetics might be adrift, shoot me.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Hitesc wrote: »
    Saturated fat is good.

Nutrition Panel Calls for Less Sugar and Eases Cholesterol and Fat Restrictions

You'll find links to the full report files in the article.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    ddaro86 wrote: »
    I wish that my fitness pal would update the fact that polyunsaturated and mono unsaturated fat is good, as compared to saturated fat. Polly and mono-unsaturated fat burns fat.

Srsly???

(Also, can't believe I'm the first to jump on that).
  • peter56765
    Options

Which has nothing to do with anything, it is what it is and if I thought that because avocado has more saturated fat than wild salmon on a gram basis and stopped eating avocado because genetics might be adrift, shoot me.

To the contrary, it is quite on point. Avocados are the way they are because we bred them to be that way. You can't point at an avocado and say "See, it is a natural whole food that has a lot of saturated fat therefore saturated fats must be OK." We made them that way. On the flip side, cyanide naturally occurs in almonds but that doesn't mean there's anything "good" about cyanide in your diet.
  • peter56765
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Saturated fat is good.

From the article (and apropos to this thread): "the guidelines encourage Americans to focus not on the amount of fat they are eating but on the type.

The guidelines advise people to eat unsaturated fat — the kind found in fish, nuts, and olive and vegetable oils — in place of saturated fat, which occurs primarily in animal foods."

The article then goes on to include criticisms on each recommendation from various groups, likely in the interest of providing "balance".
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Saturated fat is good.

From the article (and apropos to this thread): "the guidelines encourage Americans to focus not on the amount of fat they are eating but on the type.

The guidelines advise people to eat unsaturated fat — the kind found in fish, nuts, and olive and vegetable oils — in place of saturated fat, which occurs primarily in animal foods."

The article then goes on to include criticisms on each recommendation from various groups, likely in the interest of providing "balance".

My point was they no longer say saturated fat and cholesterol are "bad." They'll probably be debating saturated vs unsaturated for another 20 years, at least until one lobby group manages to fully outfund the other. Americans eat too much of everything, due in large part to the previous guidelines. Any change in the right direction is an improvement.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Saturated fat is good.

My point was they no longer say saturated fat and cholesterol are "bad." They'll probably be debating saturated vs unsaturated for another 20 years, at least until one lobby group manages to fully outfund the other. Americans eat too much of everything, due in large part to the previous guidelines. Any change in the right direction is an improvement.

I doubt Americans eat too much because of advisory panel guidelines.

The industrial food complex spends billions on advertising trying to get people to consume sugar laden, fat laden food, and that's just the tip of the iceberg of how the industrial food complex pushes the SAD diet.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Saturated fat is good.

I doubt Americans eat too much because of advisory panel guidelines.

The industrial food complex spends billions on advertising trying to get people to consume sugar laden, fat laden food, and that's just the tip of the iceberg of how the industrial food complex pushes the SAD diet.

You doubt that 20 years of everyone from kindergarten to medical school being told to eat a diet that causes diabetes had any impact on them? Or every school, hospital, and even prison meal served in the country for 20 years being based on those guidelines didn't contribute? If chocolate milk, french fries, corn and corn dogs are suitable for school lunch (which they were, frequently, up until a few years ago), why would anyone think eating the same thing all the time is bad? School says it's healthy, right? And pickle relish and pizza sauce are vegetables in that school of thought, too.

As for that industrial food complex, who do you think is influencing the guidelines?

Pick anything, beef, corn, olive oil, if it has a lobby group, they've submitted comments on the new guidelines.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The only fat that I stay clear of (where possible) is hydrogenated, every other is fair game and can sometimes make up 30-45% of my daily intake.
    Saturated fat isn't your enemy, it is definitely something that your body needs.

All the best.
    Adam
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Read "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz if you really want to understand why saturated fats are the most healthful for human beings, and understand why and how we've been lied to for over 60 years.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Read "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz if you really want to understand why saturated fats are the most healthful for human beings, and understand why and how we've been lied to for over 60 years.

Saturated Fat is Back, or Is It?
  • pstence
    pstence Posts: 3
    Options
    Today I ate 80% fat and I feel great!
  • pstence
    pstence Posts: 3
    Options
    Read David Perlmutter's book "Grain brain"
    Fat is essential, carbs are not.