Not feeling full after you eat

Options
2»

Replies

• guerrillatiger
    guerrillatiger Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree that it may take some getting use to eating smaller proportions mentally. But as some other people have mentioned eating more fats really helped me with making me feel satiated after a meal. Things like adding avocado to a meal, eating fattier proteins such as salmon and having tuna with olive oil instead of brine were easy ways for me to add fats and end up feeling full after the meal.

I would suggest trying meals with different balances of macro nutrients and see which ones leave you feeling more satisfied.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Eating til I'm full and eating til I'm not hungry are two different feelings for me. It's taken me a while to sort that out.

This is the most important thing I've learned about losing weight. I've lost 60 pounds in 6 months without being hungry, but if I ate till my belly is full (loosen my belt and take a nap full), of put it right back on. Losing weight is mostly about learning the difference between the two.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Double post

• marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Your stomach needs time to shrink. I always feel deprived when I start something new, it gets easier. Hang in there... they have some new fun flavors of Extra gum to help with cravings!
  • FittingIntoTheseGenes
    Options
    Great advice and I am following most of your suggestions
  • MarvelousMrs
    MarvelousMrs Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have what I call "hungry days" where it seems like no matter what I eat, I'm still hungry. Monday was like that for me. I make sure to have lots of healthy snacks at work so I don't find myself at the vending machine! It does get easier... hang in there!
  • MsJennyffer
    MsJennyffer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have what I call "hungry days" where it seems like no matter what I eat, I'm still hungry. Monday was like that for me. I make sure to have lots of healthy snacks at work so I don't find myself at the vending machine! It does get easier... hang in there!

I thought I was the only one!
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting topic. If you're the type of person that really doesn't like to have hunger pangs (I don't like them either!), you might be better doing the frequent small meals, and preemptively eating before your body has a chance to be hungry. I know that I have to kick in some serious willpower and talk myself down from a heavy treat when I have even the smallest growl in my stomach.
    I think it can also be tough (for those of us who like not to be hungry) to discriminate between what satisfied but not stuffed feels like, versus "I ate enough to stave off the hunger but I'm going to be hungry again in about an hour". If I'm not full enough to feel physically that my stomach is full, I have trouble perceiving the gradations between that and empty.
  • vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am new here, but not new to dieting. When I am hungry (especially at bedtime), I remember something I read from Oprah years ago.. A grumbly tummy is eating fat during the night.

So I just have a green tea with lemon and let my tummy grumble on.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The first few days after I started I felt hungry all the time. I think I gradually got use to the "new" way of eating and I don't have that issue as much any more. Now it's days were I'm not hungry at all and then days when I wake up hungry and feel hungry all day. That doesn't happen often though. I found if I slowed down when I was eating I usually felt fuller faster.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I promise you it will get better if you stick with it. It took my body about 2 months of feeling like you describe after meals, but after that I started feeling satisfied with the smaller level of food. Just think, you are used to getting a certain level of food and your stomach expects that. It takes time to adjust to less and be at a deficit as well.

Sometimes the feeling was too tough to ignore. For me, that meant I would make a salad with a light dressing or just a shake of salt and vinegar on it, maybe with a diet coke or some coffee. Or go to bed earlier. You don't feel like snacking when you are sleeping :)
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I used to be hungry all the time, I still am sometimes. I think uncomfortable was a more appropriate word though. I have learned to eat proper portion and be satisfied with it. Like others said, becoming overweight happened because I thought I could eat AS MUCH food as I wanted, when actually I can eat AS MUCH variety as I want just not in exaggerated quantity. I assume that I am eating fewer calories then I will be able to once I hit maintenance too, so it will be nice then to have a little more room to play with. My TDEE will be around 1700cals for 130lbs I assume, as now it is 1860cals for 160lbs. Anyway, just throwing numbers around. For now, I focus on maintaining my deficit (I eat at 1200cals to maintain a deficit of about 600cals/day, or more if I workout that day), and eating a balanced diet (eating mostly nutritious food, and including treats IIFYM) so I can lose fat and maintain as much lean mass as I can... so that I look as good as I can when I hit my goal weight. And also to have the energy to go through my workouts :)

[TL:DR] We have to learn to experience hunger as we know it... to understand that it isn't really hunger. I eat enough so that my body can function properly (actually, great!) but it will be uncomfortable if I am maintaining a deficit of 600-800cals daily.

I do agree with others that dehydration can exacerbates hunger. Green tea promotes satiety and fat burning as well. I love green tea, it's all around good for a lot of things. So drinking a lot of water and changing it up with different teas is a great advice. Also learning to eat whatever diet that helps you meet your goal and that you can enjoy and maintain is what is most important.

Good luck :)
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Just a fun fact! My TDEE used to be 2200cals when I started at 183lbs, so it's making it that much harder (longer, actually) to lose weight. It's part of the game though...
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dakota3121 wrote: »
    It's only been 48 hours. Granted. But almost every time I eat, I still feel hungry afterwards. I have been forcing myself to drink water and wait 20 minutes - so far so good (minus the frequent bathroom trips) Just wondering if this happened to anyone else and is this going to last forever. I HATE the feeling of feeling hungry.

Hi
    for me it is still like that. And exercising makes me even hungrier. There are a few dishes that make me feel stuffed for around 400 cal, like high fat, high protein pancakes* but not many, unfortunately. Just ate a bowl of greek yogurt after my main meal of the day (lunch) because I did not feel full. Sigh.
    I try to distract myself, drink lots of tea, or I will skip one meal entirely so I can eat a lot for my main meal. I eat 1500 cal a day, eating back half of my exercise calories, and it is and remains a battle!

Edited to add: I sometimes get into the habit of "celebrating" my hunger. NOT eating disorder-like, but feeling the hunger and knowing that this is when I lose weight. When I eat till I am not hungry any more, I do not lose weight. To me, the "I never went hungry and lost xxx lbs" is a myth, it simply it not true for me.

* 2 eggs, protein powder, 15g almond flour, 1 tablespoon, physillum husk; I add 0.5 tea spoon peanut butter and some homemade rhubarb sauce.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    My stomach 'shrank' after a week or so, meaning I got used to eating less, particularly during the day as I used to be hungry and over eat at breakfast and lunch. Now I can manage fine during the day. So from my experience your body will adjust in time. You could always snack on stuff that will help you feel full. Soup is good for that, particularly home made as you can keep the calories down with a good recipe.
  • didjaever
    didjaever Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Today feels like this for me. I am keeping busy by reading all these posts
  • mamamaz1
    mamamaz1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find it takes 7 days for me to to break my self of bad habits.you keep up the good work! its a very hard think to losing weight.good luck
  • fuzzypicklehead
    fuzzypicklehead Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This has been really helpful to read today, as I've spent the weekend ready to gnaw off my own arm for sustenance! Naturally I'm a carb fiend, so it's tough making the adjustment from loads of fruit every day to a bit of fruit with some protein to keep me going -- otherwise I get the shakes and can't manage exercise at all.
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was having this issue as well. Try eating slower. This has really helped me.I make sure I take my time when I eat meals. I find when I don't wolf them down quickly it gives my body time to know it's full. It takes about 20 minutes to send the signal to your brain about fullness. I also take a spoon full of Apple Cider Vinegar and a glass of water before breakfast and dinner. Or a glass of room temp water and lemon juice before breakfast.