People with Heart Rate Monitors

Options
bwyne03
bwyne03 Posts: 137 Member
So I have been thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor so that I can see exactly how many calories I am burning when I workout. For the people who currently have hrm's, have you found that the estimated calories burned for any given exercise listed on mfp are fairly accurate to what your hrm shows??

Replies

• talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Nope, for me they were quite off! I'm so glad i got my HRM. it was 30 bucks, but so much more accurate. MFP database almost always overestimated for me.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mine have been fairly accurate. However, it definitely depends on how hard you push yourself. Days that I am really tired I can burn a lot less than what MFP says. I love my HRM. It is motivation for me. If I don't feel I am burning enough it pushes me to work harder.

BTW-I have a Polar FT4. Get one with a chest strap to be accurate.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    No, when I enter the time, MFP populates the calorie field and it's always way off from what I'm about to enter from my HRM, usually by 100 calories or more. Sometimes MFP says I burned more, sometimes it says I burned less.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Have had mine for 2 wks - LOVE it. Polar FT4 - $89, but I got mine for $69. Much more accurate!!!!
  • Dunrick
    Dunrick Posts: 23
    Options
    The polar monitor is amazing and I suggest it as a must to help you keep track of what you are burning.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR60. MFP is about a third higher than my actual burn.

I researched a bit and found that some HRMs will tell you your heart rate so you can stay in your 'target zone', but don't use your heart rate to figure your calorie burn. That seemed kinda pointless.

Anyway, very happy with my Garmin.

1horsetown
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I bought a New Balance N4 from target. I will say that it is the best thing I ever purchased. I use it every day and absolutely love it. I am burning way more calories than what MFP says that I am burning. and I love the fact that I know exactly what I am burning not just an idea based on someone else. We are each different and burn at different rates. I LOVE IT
  • bwyne03
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for the feedback!! I thought maybe mfp estimated a little high, which is a bummer (lol) I'm definitely going to check into getting one now! Next question, are they easy to figure out? I'm not very savy when it comes to electronics :ohwell:
  • bwyne03
    Options
    I bought a New Balance N4 from target. I will say that it is the best thing I ever purchased. I use it every day and absolutely love it. I am burning way more calories than what MFP says that I am burning. and I love the fact that I know exactly what I am burning not just an idea based on someone else. We are each different and burn at different rates. I LOVE IT

good to hear!! Maybe this is what is going with me too (hopefully) haha
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The MFP database is set up on the assumption of an average fitness level for your weight and age, and average exertion levels of the various listed activities.
    A decent HRM that reads out calories is very dependent on age, weight, and fitness level that you enter into the device to calculate exertion levels based upon your bpm.
    If you HRM doesn't ask for age, weight, and fitness level, or it isn't entered correctly, it cannot accurately record calories expended. If it is set up correctly, a better quality HRM is a much better calculator of calories expended; its using your real HR to calculate based upon assumptions used for your age and fitness.
    The more fit you are, the less calories you will burn for a given activity at a given exertion level, and the more efficient your body is at producing power and work at a given energy consumption.

As a rule of thumb, if your HRM is under-reporting compared to MFP data, you aren't working as hard as what would be considered average for the activity for a person similar to you. If it is over-reporting, the opposite is true.

To give an example, right now I'm riding my road bike quite a bit (165 miles in the last 15 days). My average speed is 17-18 MPH, but the MFP database more aligns with the exertion level for "bike, vigorous 14-16 MPH" (my bike is aerodynamic and I'm wearing a Kit). Depending on just how hard I go out, I have to goal seek the number of minutes to match what my HRM says I expended, because my HRM is more accurate. Generally I have to adjust the minutes downward because I'm not working as hard as the average person like me. But if I go out really hard, pushing an average speed 18+ MPH for an hour for instance, I may have to adjust the minutes upward. I still like using the database because it tells me a relative number to compare my personal effort to.

My goal by the way is to match my personal best in a time trial of 22.5 MPH for an hour. Hopefully in August I'll be in the 20's. Need to lose more weight to get there. Blubber is the enemy.
  • bwyne03
    Options
    The MFP database is set up on the assumption of an average fitness level for your weight and age, and average exertion levels of the various listed activities.
    A decent HRM that reads out calories is very dependent on age, weight, and fitness level that you enter into the device to calculate exertion levels based upon your bpm.
    If you HRM doesn't ask for age, weight, and fitness level, or it isn't entered correctly, it cannot accurately record calories expended. If it is set up correctly, a better quality HRM is a much better calculator of calories expended; its using your real HR to calculate based upon assumptions used for your age and fitness.
    The more fit you are, the less calories you will burn for a given activity at a given exertion level, and the more efficient your body is at producing power and work at a given energy consumption.

As a rule of thumb, if your HRM is under-reporting compared to MFP data, you aren't working as hard as what would be considered average for the activity for a person similar to you. If it is over-reporting, the opposite is true.

To give an example, right now I'm riding my road bike quite a bit (165 miles in the last 15 days). My average speed is 17-18 MPH, but the MFP database more aligns with the exertion level for "bike, vigorous 14-16 MPH" (my bike is aerodynamic and I'm wearing a Kit). Depending on just how hard I go out, I have to goal seek the number of minutes to match what my HRM says I expended, because my HRM is more accurate. Generally I have to adjust the minutes downward because I'm not working as hard as the average person like me. But if I go out really hard, pushing an average speed 18+ MPH for an hour for instance, I may have to adjust the minutes upward. I still like using the database because it tells me a relative number to compare my personal effort to.

My goal by the way is to match my personal best in a time trial of 22.5 MPH for an hour. Hopefully in August I'll be in the 20's. Need to lose more weight to get there. Blubber is the enemy.

Thank you!! Very helpful information :) And best of luck to you in meeting your goal!!!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For me I can say they were way off.

Yoga was way higher that my HRM reads, and everything else was way lower. Not to metion the various levels put in to each activity.

It also varied from my treadmill data, but that is expected considering my treadmill data is not personalized and is not from constant contact.

I love my New Balance N4, and actually got a pretty good deal on it at Target.
  • Nichole1981
    Nichole1981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM!! I got a Suunto Watch...below is the link:
    http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Training-Hr-Monitors/suunto-t1c/suunto-t1c-black-pattern/

It has a chest strap and it counts my calories burned. I don't think I could have lost the 30lbs I have with out this HRM. When I am really tired and I am working out I look down at my watch and see low calories and it pushes me to work harder to get a higher number.

My girlfriend got a SportLine watch and has had nothing but problems with it. It does not count her calories correctly and she has a lot of issues with resetting the watch.

I would go with a watch that has a chest strap and get one that you know people have had success with.
  • lbkrillin
    lbkrillin Posts: 19
    Options
    My HRM is like a watch with a chest strap and a sensor that buttons onto the chest strap. Once you set up the watch part (which is like setting any other watch for the most part) you wet the strap, slap it around your chest and button the sensor to it. Then you press a button to start 'recording' and off you go.
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    for me, MFP can be anywhere from 100 - 300 calories over, I've even seen it double what my HRM says.
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    Not even close....I have a polar FT4. Love it....it helps motivate me to keep going when I am working out!
  • bwyne03
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!! I know what I will be doing tonight... looking for a heart rate monitor :tongue: Sounds like they are easy to figure out and definitely worth the money!!!
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 last night and I love love love it! I wanted to make sure I was working hard enough and staying within my target heart rate zone - and I am.
    I also find it incredibly motivating - I want to push even harder tonight to see if I can improve my numbers!
  • raelynnjordan
    raelynnjordan Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and I LOVE it! It has so many awesome features. I got it brand new off of eBay for $185 and free shipping. They are usually $200 or more anywhere else! AND its purple- my favorite color! =)
  • bwyne03
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 last night and I love love love it! I wanted to make sure I was working hard enough and staying within my target heart rate zone - and I am.
    I also find it incredibly motivating - I want to push even harder tonight to see if I can improve my numbers!

I can definitely see where it would push you to work harder if the numbers are right in front of you!! Thanks so much :)