Looking for something to eat with chicken...

Options
Hello people,

Just looking for some suggestions on what I can substitute rice for with my chicken breasts? It can get quite boring! I don't have much time to prepare food so something quick would be ideal.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Replies

• khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Plenty of vegetables out there! :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I use quinoa instead of rice because quinoa has vegetable protein and all 9 aminoacids needed for nutrition. I cook quinoa with water, bay leave and vegetarian, low sodium broth.
    If I get tired of quinoa, I use vegetables. You can use any you like: spinach, asparagus, green beans, etc, etc
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What I do when I feel I need a change is the following. I buy a considerable amount of chicken breast (I usually use a kilo so I have plenty for many days), I boil them and cut them in tiny pieces, then add a yogurt and red peppers (fresh or canned or however you like) When everything is mixed together you have something you can hav it with bread, or wrap a bit in lettuce or do whatever....

It takes some time, but you can have it for a couple of days :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Skinnytaste.com. She has tons of chicken recipes.

55835802.png
  • paddybhoy7
    Options
    Excellent suggestions guys :) I've looked at broccoli for now, a nice casserole type of thing. The idea of fresh yogurt and peppers appeals a lot! I've never even heard of quinoa! Sheltered life or what? I'll look it up. Asparagus/spinach might be a winner.

Many thanks guys :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get a bunch of those steamable bags of veggies- they are super easy to put down.
  • paddybhoy7
    Options
    Magic. I'll look in to it - thanks! :)
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »
    Plenty of vegetables out there! :)
    Roasted vegetables! A little olive oil, garlic powder, pepper and about 10-20 min. for brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus,broccoli and you're set. Same thing with root veggies (potatoes, turnips, etc) but they take longer (40-60 min) Delicious tho'.....

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    veggies for sure. roasted or baked sweet potatoes (or any root vegetable roasted). You definitely should try Quinoa -- it's really good and very nutritious. Also try couscous -- I like Israeli couscous and I also like whole wheat couscous.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Tortillas salsa cheese.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i'm baking chicken breasts right now. I like chopping up zucchini and seasoning with garlic salt, then bake in the oven alongside the chicken.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    coleslaw! with bacon bits!
  • tnwlkr43
    tnwlkr43 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    we had chicken tonight...i cooked lentils with my own seasoning, Spanish Quinoa with Brown Rice and Cauliflower au gratin
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I take shredded carrots and chop up some brussel sprouts - put them in a bowl- fill it with water just above the veggies - put it in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes, drain and then put chicken in the bowl - add a little soy sauce (low sodium) - mix. Sometimes, I put a little cajun spice on it, sometimes a garlic and herb spice mix. These are great bowls to make on the weekend for work lunches during the week - same base ingredients but different spices for variety.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    salad, veggies (asparagus, zucchini, mushrooms, and brussel sprouts are my faves), cous cous, cauliflower is popular now (apparently you can turn it into something resembling mashed potatoes, though id rather have the potatoes, personally LOL), potatoes, coleslaw, pasta, etc etc etc
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just getting ready to do mine ... I slice up the chicken breast, then use 1 tbsp of hot chili oil and 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil and then add 8-10 oz of fresh green beans or snap peas, a giant glob of minced garlic, a tsp. or so of fresh ground ginger and a dab of sea salt and fry it up super hot and quick. That has been a staple dinner for me over the last 6 months, usually 3-4 days a week.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Salsas can be great, and not too many calories - we used to make a chicken dish that you just baked covered in tomato salsa, but I've seen recipes that use mango salsa as a sauce to cover cooked chicken breast in, too.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Chicken salads, chicken wraps, chicken burritos, chicken stuffed, casseroles, new seasonings, new sauces
  • rachelsothers
    Options
    i love roasted broccoli and cauliflower, so good. roasted turnips are also absolutely delicious.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    paddybhoy7 wrote: »
    Hello people,

Just looking for some suggestions on what I can substitute rice for with my chicken breasts? It can get quite boring! I don't have much time to prepare food so something quick would be ideal.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

MORE.
    CHICKEN.