What's The Deal With Boiled Eggs?

Options
I eat a lot of salad and I tend to boil 2 eggs each time I do. I switch up my meal plans weekly, but in one given week I'll have 2 boiled eggs a night in my salad for dinner....is this bad...too much cholesterol????

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have 2 eggs a day as part of my bedtime snack and have done this most nights for at least 6 months. I had my cholesterol tested last week prior to my annual physical and the only change was that my good cholesterol went up. Bad stayed within 5 points of the previous test so my ratio improved.

Eat your eggs! There is no evidence that dietary cholesterol translates into serum cholesterol.
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Earl is right. What you eat really doesn't affect your cholesterol much.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The RDA for Cholesterol is 300 MG Regardless of k calories.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Eggs have a lot of necessary protein, it used to be that 6 eggs or more a week were a no no. I eat a lot of hard boiled eggs, sometimes 2 a day. They stay with me for quite a while and I don't get hungry. I use them as a snack. If you're worried about it, just Google it and see what the recommendation is. I don't hear much about eggs and cholesterol anymore.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I eat two hard-boiled eggs about every other morning - one with the yolk, one without. Super cheap on calories and great for me.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Typically I have 2 eggs every morning.

Dietary cholesterol has little to do with your overall cholesterol. I eat pretty much double the RDA every day and mine is on the low end of normal.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I eat four whole eggs a day and I'm still alive.

The cholesterol found in eggs is the good kind. There's a lot of research about this that you could look up yourself.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I eat four whole eggs a day and I'm still alive.

The cholesterol found in eggs is the good kind. There's a lot of research about this that you could look up yourself.

^^^ this
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    festerw wrote: »

Dietary cholesterol has little to do with your overall cholesterol. I eat pretty much double the RDA every day and mine is on the low end of normal.

FYI Most cholesterol resides in body tissue, not in the blood serum or plasma that is routinely tested for cholesterol level. Cholesterol is a necessary, important substance in the body; it becomes a problem only when excessive amounts accumulate in the blood.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your liver determines your cholesterol level. Not whether or not you eat eggs. I've proved this myself by eating eggs every day for a year and then comparing my cholesterol levels from my physical with prior years. The only dietary item I've found personally that raises cholesterol levels is drinking beer every day
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The old "limit your eggs" warning was debunked quite some time ago. They are an excellent source of proetin and are cheap and filling. Get down with your egg self.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    PhilP0wer wrote: »
    Your liver determines your cholesterol level. Not whether or not you eat eggs. I've proved this myself by eating eggs every day for a year and then comparing my cholesterol levels from my physical with prior years. The only dietary item I've found personally that raises cholesterol levels is drinking beer every day

uh ... one beer or multiple beers?
  • fragileelegance
    fragileelegance Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thank you all :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The RDA for Cholesterol is 300 MG Regardless of k calories.

With the exception of very few people with a specific medical condition that makes them hypersensitive to dietary cholesterol, dietary cholesterol has little bearing on blood serum levels. Your liver produces way more.

I can't believe people are still worried about this...this was debunked a long time ago.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Here's what's up with boiled eggs. They are yummy and good for you.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    festerw wrote: »

This.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally I had an appointment today to discuss blood test results with my doctor. My cholesterol is well within guidelines even though this is my consumption over the last month:
    sryov3tqyg1l.jpg
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    PhilP0wer wrote: »

Dunno about that. I rarely go a single day without at least 2 beers. But my cholesterol is way low.