best exercise for obese women

Options
Other than walking. What is low impact, semi easy to moderate, but effective, if anything? I'm looking for new things. I am 24, 293 lbs, not new to exercise, but suffer from severe fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome so I struggle a lot. Thanks.

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Well if the Y will let you join silver sneakers they have a yoga class at some of em that has you in a chair.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yoga? I love yoga. I think anyone of any size can do it but maybe ask your doctor since it sounds like you have other health concerns. Hope you find an activity you love :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    With your health issues, any exercise you can do and enjoy is the best exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The most effective exercise at this point is the one you can do. Find something you enjoy and can manage. When I started out I did a lot of walking and aqua zumba.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Swim
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I started working towards weight loss at approximately the same weight as you and I suffer from fibromyalgia too. The two best exercises for me involved putting my bike on a trainer to make it similar to a stationary bike to ride and my elliptical. Both are easier on my knees and now that I have dropped almost 60 pounds, I am incorporating some jogging, squats, and lunges into my routine. I also liked doing bellydance in the privacy of my own home. Others have suggested swimming as another option that is low impact.

Feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Probably not new, but walking is always great exercise and you can do it really anywhere :-)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Leslie Sansone "Walking" videos. These give you some added variety, more than just walking but you can still go at your own pace if needed. In home walking is a great back up when the weather is bad.

Yoga & pilates are good too. Look for "just My Size" or "Mega Yoga" or "Plus Size Pilates"
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps or something like water aerobics/aqua zumba/aqua yoga maybe? Working out in the pool is really low impact and it can be very fun! Also, don't discount stregth training, lifting some weights can help you get stronger.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You could try chair exercises. If you check YouTube and search for chair exercises, there are a number of videos to choose.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I second the swim idea, but only if you enjoy it. Most important thing is to find an exercise you really enjoy so you stick with it.
  • dseign
    dseign Posts: 25
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »
    Other than walking. What is low impact, semi easy to moderate, but effective, if anything? I'm looking for new things. I am 24, 293 lbs, not new to exercise, but suffer from severe fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome so I struggle a lot. Thanks.

I remember when I would get on my treadmill and be exhausted at 5-10 min. 15 min was grueling. That is how out of shape I was. This is what I did.

Screw the intensity! <SCREW IT>

I tackled it again. I got a wrist monitor and put my info in it.

Started doing 2.0 and up to 2.5 until I hit a mile.

Today: I started out 2.5 <5 min>, then 2.8 til I hit 24 min which ended up being a mile, then I did 3.2 til I hit 30 minutes, then 2.8 until I did 40 min, then I dialed down 2.5 until I did 45 min <total> My wrist monitor, due to calculating my heart rate put me at 474 calories burned. I was sweating and definately felt like I not only had a good cardio work out, but strength training.

Walking is great! Start out building distance and then endurance. Your balance will increase along with your stamina.

YOU only need to challenge yourself; no one else! Burn and Build!

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike, elliptical, swimming, and any kind of floor exercises you can do. Just moving is the most important thing! :smile:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    The recumbent bike is more comfortable for me than the typical stationary bike...the seat is like a traditional seat and you don't have a lot of pressure on your behind while you pedal.

The ones at my gym are kind of like this:
    NEW_R3-ADVANCED-00CPL_mr.jpg

For outdoors, this looks fun but not sure how it would do if you have hills! My aunt had something like this, only it was a 3 wheeler.

lightfoot-recumbent-fat-bike-4.jpg
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You could try chair exercises. If you check YouTube and search for chair exercises, there are a number of videos to choose.

This is what I was going to suggest.
    If there are exercises that the instructor is doing that youre not able, just modify it!
    Doing something is always better than nothing :wink:
    I don't have a gym close enough and theres no way Im getting out in this snow to go walk!
    We do have a pool at the HS but its only open for about 1 1/2 months in the summer (outside pool) :neutral_face:
    Even still, I rather like the comforts of my own home for exercising!

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Try the elliptical. I've lost 50 doing only the elliptical an hour a day watching TV the whole time. You can do it. It will make you feel great.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have both FMS and CFS. My doctor started me off with a prescription for aquatherapy with a physical therapist. It's fun and easy. All done in a pool. Now I'm doing the elliptical, cardio walking shows on cable, the treadmill, the Total Gym, and using resistance bands and ankle weights. If your insurance pays for a physical therapist, I'd start there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The pool would be my next big suggestion- walking laps in a pool is great for you- I know people who have lost quiet a bit of weight that way.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Walk faster and start lifting.