eggs vs egg whites ?

Options
I eat eggs for breakfast but I've recently heard its better to just eat egg whites . I'm not very full when I try that . any thought

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Egg whites make me sad - all those good yolks wasted. :disappointed:

Some people go with the whites to save cals I guess, but I eat the whole egg. Heck, if use egg whites in a recipe, I'll save the yolks and add them to my eggs the next day for breakfast!

Three large whole eggs, (or just two if I have bacon), toast and black coffee is a regular breakfast for me.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are highly nutritious. Eggs really are nature's most perfect food (after all, it contains all of the nutrients required to make a baby chicken). Please eat the whole egg.
  • May33338
    May33338 Posts: 300 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat the whole egg, unless my cats decide they want the yolks that is. :D
    Though, if I am tight on calories, I'll just save the yolks for someone else.
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I compromise, for calories sake. 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    After reading this I think I'll try eating the whole thing. I wonder if I'd be more satisfied if I ate it all. I always feel like I have to use a ton of egg whites and then feel unsatisfied but weirdly full.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg because I feel that it is wasteful to throw the yolk away. I love a fried egg sandwich with the yolk a little runny. Makes a mess, but it is yummy!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    To up protein without sacrificing too many calories I've seen people use 1 or 2 whole eggs, then the rest egg whites. I never toss out any part of a whole egg, but have relied on cartons of purely egg whites bought at the store.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten the whole egg. I don't understand throwing the yolk away.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    A whole egg is a whole food.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    whole egg! lots of nutrition in the yolk. Although sometimes when I'm tight on calories, I will admittedly top up a 2 whole egg omelette with those carton egg whites to bulk it out a bit. I'd never go egg white only in an omelette/scramble. The only time i use egg whites only is when i'm making meringue! :smiley:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you're going to eat. If you're going to eat more than 2 eggs, then you can add some egg whites to your eggs to keep the calories/protein ration good. That's usually what I see in most food diaries on the site.

Me? 2 eggs are plenty. I just eat the whole eggs.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I generally have a 2 whole egg and 1 egg white omelette for breakfast (with kimchi). I feed the yolk back to my backyard chicken flock. It's recycling!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I eat a few whole eggs most days and only do egg whites if I need to either make a bigger breakfast but keep calories in check or I need something filling but really low calorie at the end of my day. I don't waste the yolks though...enough animals here to eat them LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I combine them …so I usually have three to four whole eggs and three to four egg whites….

but I prefer a whole egg over an egg white any day of the week ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if i just ate egg whites I would hate myself…ughhhhh
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I do 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white typically.
  • meirteitelbaum
    meirteitelbaum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the egg yolk is the part of the egg that is "high" in cholesterol. If you are watching cholesterol intake than one whole egg and several whites is your best option.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs for breakfast but I've recently heard its better to just eat egg whites . I'm not very full when I try that . any thought

The reason you're not full is because... number 1, you're not consuming any fat (missing egg yolks) ... and two... each egg white is only about 15 calories.

If you prefer the egg white, which is a lot lower in calories and fat, that's fine.... eat something else with it though.

Whole eggs are fine too. You get more protein, and fat, but also, about 60-70 calories per egg.

It's all what you prefer.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. There is no need to throw the yolk out when it also has nutritional value to it.