stuck at 13% bf

Options
2»

Replies

• whitetail417
    Options
    sluace wrote: »
    Close...I would shoot for something closer to 30 secs "all-out" then recover for 1-3 minutes and do it again 5-10x if you are on the treadmill. The reason being you can't really go "all out" if you do it for 2 minutes, you will naturally slow down. You want to get your heart rate up as much as possible, recover, then do it again.

Another technique I used was in-between sets of weights instead of sitting and recovering for one minute, do jumping jacks, run in place, or high knees, for that one minute then go back to the weights. It combines the cardio and the weights to keep your heart rate up.

I haven't used hydrocut and can't say whether it works or not. I used Shred JYM as it wasn't a proprietary blend and I knew all the ingredients in the capsules. I've provided a link below. It does have caffeine in it though, not sure if that is a deal breaker for you or not.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/jym/shred-jym.html

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I'm going to try that out starting tomorrow, no time like the present right?
  • Pembo77
    Pembo77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know as a guy this can be a tough place to shift weight from.

After reading your comments, (mainly where you mentioned that you started around the 40% bf mark) I'm assuming that your diet hasnt been the best up until the point that you decided to sort it out?

There is a difference between subcutaneous fat vs visceral fat. Adipose tissue, where subcutaneous fat resides is the superficial layer that sits under the skin, that we generally lose 1st when becoming fit. Visceral fat sits inside the belly and around your internal organs. If you have had a poor diet for a long time then you could have a build up of the latter. Unfortunately thats a lot harder to metabolise.

I'd suggest going to the old google god and search about ways to shift "visceral fat"
    I think you'll find it's mainly going to be about your diet from this point forward.

Not saying not to keep up the great work with cardio and weights tho!

You could also go and get a DEXA scan to see if where you're at regarding your visceral fat.
    Heres a nice explanation of what thats all about:
    http://www.dangerandplay.com/2014/07/18/dexa-dxa-scans-gold-standard-measure-bodyfat-percentage/

The best way to track your progress at this point will be a combination of your waist measurement and bf%.

Good luck, hope this helps. :)

• whitetail417
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    According to the pictures I'm right between 10-15% chest and abdomen region, except the love handles those look more like the 25% picture and there's no way my body fat is that high. Legs, arms, chest, and abdomen are all lean.
    When I startedi was worse then the 40% picture, so that's a good thing at least :smile:

You didn't say how you measured your BF%, but with a shift from 40% to around 13%, could some of what you are seeing in the abdominal region be loose skin?

I've done both the 3 point and 4 point skin fold test with a body caliper. I know its not going to be 100% accurate, my wife helps me being as I only have two hands lol :smile:
  • sluace
    sluace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    My own opinion, take it as you will. I saw my bf% drop the most with a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) after every weight training session for 20-30 minutes. I was on a 4 day split at the time. The steady state cardio of the treadmill, bike, or stair master never worked for me. Pure cardio days also didn't seem to work and I always felt I got more accomplished after a weight training day.

Combine that with some fat burner supplements and I got down to 10% from 19% in about 6 weeks.

So you had magic pills?

Science based magic...indeed
  • whitetail417
    Options
    Pembo77 wrote: »
    I know as a guy this can be a tough place to shift weight from.

After reading your comments, (mainly where you mentioned that you started around the 40% bf mark) I'm assuming that your diet hasnt been the best up until the point that you decided to sort it out?

There is a difference between subcutaneous fat vs visceral fat. Adipose tissue, where subcutaneous fat resides is the superficial layer that sits under the skin, that we generally lose 1st when becoming fit. Visceral fat sits inside the belly and around your internal organs. If you have had a poor diet for a long time then you could have a build up of the latter. Unfortunately thats a lot harder to metabolise.

I'd suggest going to the old google god and search about ways to shift "visceral fat"
    I think you'll find it's mainly going to be about your diet from this point forward.

Not saying not to keep up the great work with cardio and weights tho!

You could also go and get a DEXA scan to see if where you're at regarding your visceral fat.
    Heres a nice explanation of what thats all about:
    http://www.dangerandplay.com/2014/07/18/dexa-dxa-scans-gold-standard-measure-bodyfat-percentage/

The best way to track your progress at this point will be a combination of your waist measurement and bf%.

Good luck, hope this helps. :)

I'll be the first to admit my diet straight up sucked. Monday night football consisted of 50 wings, half dozen beers and a steak tidbit sandwich. Not to mention cookies and milk on a daily basis. Thanks for the info I'm going to look up the differences in the fat and whatnot and see what they recommend.
  • sluace
    Options
    Close...I would shoot for something closer to 30 secs "all-out" then recover for 1-3 minutes and do it again 5-10x if you are on the treadmill. The reason being you can't really go "all out" if you do it for 2 minutes, you will naturally slow down. You want to get your heart rate up as much as possible, recover, then do it again.

Another technique I used was in-between sets of weights instead of sitting and recovering for one minute, do jumping jacks, run in place, or high knees, for that one minute then go back to the weights. It combines the cardio and the weights to keep your heart rate up.

I haven't used hydrocut and can't say whether it works or not. I used Shred JYM as it wasn't a proprietary blend and I knew all the ingredients in the capsules. I've provided a link below. It does have caffeine in it though, not sure if that is a deal breaker for you or not.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I'm going to try that out starting tomorrow, no time like the present right?

Good luck...hope it helps!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I'm sorry but at your height and weight coupled with the fact that you probably have a lower amount of lbm due to your lack of lifting time that 2500 calorie daily intake sounds high. The fact is that if you're not losing weight then you're not in a deficit.

But with everything that has been said so far in this thread I think you need to take pictures and post them because the variation in weights along with the bf% marks you provided just don't add up.

You're saying in December you were eating 1700 and now are eating 2500 but your weight hasn't moved at all? Are you weighing all solids and measuring all liquids?

I don't have much more to add to whats already been said in bold...

Post pics first...
  • sluace
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Lifting weights like that is a good way to not allow yourself recovery time between sets and if you're lifting heavy 75%+ then it's also a good way to set yourself up for failure on finishing sets.

In fact, the recovery time is the same as if you sat down and did nothing. You are still not performing the targeted muscle group for the 1-2 minutes. Instead of sitting down though you replace it with a short burst of cardio. It will add about 20-30 minutes of high intensity cardio for the workout. You may even recover better than just sitting doing nothing because of the increased blood flow. The cardio will elevate your heart rate, which means more blood pumps to your working muscles throughout your workout.

If your new to working out, it may be difficult at first to maintain the high intensity cardio for the entire rest period. If that's the case then start with 30 secs or so and work your way up to the full minute when you are more comfortable with the exercises.