Hypothyroid

Options
is anyone else struggling losing wieght due to hypothyroid that might have some suggestions?

Replies

• irishladyo
    irishladyo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you on a med to help? If so how long have you been on it?, if not then that's the place to start.
  • Valeriehelms072675
    Valeriehelms072675 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on levoxel and have been for about 10 years I get my blood checked reg and its adjusted as needed
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Personally I do best when I eat my 3 Brazil nuts (for the selenium) and keep my carbs under 45% of my total calories. I also need to exercise and have the worst time when I can't do that.
  • bellabutt3
    bellabutt3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wondering if this is my problem too. Diagnosed and put on meds about 2.5 months ago. Got back on MFP about the same time. Careful with calorie goals and logging, but no weight loss yet. Getting really aggravated...
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's here. I find that I lose weight when eating 50g of carbs or less, mostly gluten free. Gluten can exacerbate the autoimmune response if that is the underlying cause of the hypothyroid state.
    If your hypothyroidism is not caused by hashimoto's (ruled out by an antibodies blood test) then an iodine/kelp supplement might help.
    Also, look into vitamin d, zinc, selenium and b12, and make sure you do not eat any food or any supplements or other medication for an hour after your thyroid pill, or four hours before, as they can basically render your thyroid pill useless.
  • irishladyo
    irishladyo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also, look into vitamin d, zinc, selenium and b12, and make sure you do not eat any food or any supplements or other medication for an hour after your thyroid pill, or four hours before, as they can basically render your thyroid pill useless.

I agree.
    On another note - If your medicine is keeping your thyroid at proper levels then difficulty loosing weight shouldn't be caused by your thyroid. How often do you have it checked? Maybe there's something else you need to look at? I know my vitamin D levels are funky and if I don't take my supplements I get sluggish.
  • Valeriehelms072675
    Options
    Ty for all the info I will look into these your a great group
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    is anyone else struggling losing weight due to hypothyroid that might have some suggestions?

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

I lost more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. Logging works.
  • Valeriehelms072675
    Options
    Ty