Settings on carbs fat and protien

Right now my settings are the origanal settings 55% 30% 15% . I am 294 lbs and really am determined to lose weight. These settings seem a lil off to me though shouldnt i have less carbs and more protien?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I don't really follow percentages. I am for .8g of protein and .4g of fat for each pound of bodyweight. I see those as minimums so if I go over, no problemo. Other than that, I pretty much fill in the rest with whatever I feel like each day. I do limit carbs somewhat for medical reasons but limiting carbs is not necessary for weight loss.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Yours look ok. You can modify them periodically if you want.
    I want more fat than the default has. So my settings are this: carbs 45, protein 25, fat 30.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    40/30/30 isn't a bad place to start
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    I think 40/30/30 is a good balance. However, I wish to be clear carbs are not the enemy. Plenty of good nutritious foods have carbs. Fruits and veggies all have carbs. However, if you are trying to make life long changes you may need to seriously evaluate if the foods you eat are providing you good nutrition. Additionally, try your best not to skimp on the protein. I am not sure why, but it seems that a lot of people do fall short. Protein is essential to helping build and maintain muscles.
  • cherylantonelli1
    cherylantonelli1 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks everyone ;) i appreciate the responses and help.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Here's a post I did about realistic goal setting, including weight, calories, & macros. It has links to useful info & calculators.
    neaneacc wrote:
    I think 40/30/30 is a good balance.
    Except that it's under the healthy range for carbs.

Here's a table for the macros from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories

If calories are equal, eating a higher percentage of protein and lower percentage of carbs will lead to greater weight loss.
    (That blog post has quotes from & links to the studies which support that view.)
    So going with 45 / 20 / 35 would keep you within the healthy ranges but be lower in carbs & higher in protein.

ETA: And here's a newbie help post with more helpful links, including sexypants, accurate measuring & logging of food, motivation, etc.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    I think the best combination comes from listening to your body. Examine every three weeks, if you add more fat then reduce the carbs if not you can maintain or even add bit, depends on your goal. The same for protein.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Right now my settings are the origanal settings 55% 30% 15% . I am 294 lbs and really am determined to lose weight. These settings seem a lil off to me though shouldnt i have less carbs and more protien?

Of course you can eat lower carb if you want. I started at 300 lbs. myself and have lost 91 lbs. so far with my macros set at 10% carbs, 25% protein and 65% fat. If you are interested in talking to others following a low carb way of eating, find us in the Low Carber Daily Forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group