Really need to reduce sugar. Ideas?

Options
I'm currently on a weight plateau. Not liking it one bit. On the brighter side, I feel more comfortable with my appearance then I have my entire life after losing 50 pounds. I feel more alive and energetic! :happy:

This plateau isn't so much stressing me out, but I am a bit annoyed and I have looked through my food diaries in every category to eye my problem. It could be sugar. The only other thing I did notice is that I'm low on potassium too. Now, I love fruits..grapes, apples, oranges, bananas, watermelon and so on and know it contains a lot of sugar. I just don't want to give them up and I know fruit is good for you too. That's where a lot of my sugar intake comes from is the sugars and the yogurt I eat as well. Any other sugar free snacks you would reccomend? Tips?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Cut out refined sugar entirely, it'll do wonders for you! Don't worry about the sugars you're getting from fruit, fruit is loaded with water, fiber, and vitamins and minerals, don't stress the "good sugars" :)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    switch to plain nonfat greek yogurt, it has less sugar and double the protien and add fresh fruit (maybe a little stevia if you need it)
    and try to replace one of your fruits with a veggie
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I eat more veggies then fruit. I usually have a banana with my oatmeal or something..even that has sugar ooy!!
  • LanakilaGirl
    LanakilaGirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your exercise routine at all? Doing the same thing day in and day out can create a plateau in weight loss.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying bout fruit sugars. Its processed sugars people need to be concerned about.
    Cut out refined sugar entirely, it'll do wonders for you! Don't worry about the sugars you're getting from fruit, fruit is loaded with water, fiber, and vitamins and minerals, don't stress the "good sugars" :)

What she said :bigsmile:
  • rescuepete
    rescuepete Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't the problem, refined sugar is. Cut out the Frosted Flakes & Granola Bars and get some whole wheat cereal like Kashi and get the granola from the bins. Mix it with some greek yogurt and you'll up that potassium in no time. Try to work some lentils in the diet too.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Okay, ill give it a try. Thanks for the info. I was eating greek yogurt for a while but needed a break..kinda missed the other types..but when im done with my gronola bars/yogurt..when i go shopping next week, ill look into some stuff that doesn't contain a lot of carbs/sugar..if any.

Exercise- I do change it up a lot..one day I'll use my wii fit, then take a short walk. I do kickbox/dance workouts online sometimes or dance in general. I do various weight train/strength train workouts and so some yoga...so i don't feel the exercise is the problem, though the most im burning right now is 500 calories. Should try to up it a bit..over the summer/early fall i was pulling 1k cals no problem.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    your body treats natural sources of sugar differently than processed junk food sugar. Keep eating fruit!

Other things that can help you out: Switch from milk (if you drink it), to unsweetened regular almond milk. It has a similar texture and flavor as milk, but very little sugar. If you crave chocolate milk or cocoa, try springing for some sugar free syrup from Torani. It is very tasty! Other than that, pay attention to the labels on what you're consuming. Try to limit yourself to 75 sugar per day or less (as a diabetic, I'm supposed to stick to 50, but it's REALLY hard!)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Okay, ill give it a try. Thanks for the info. I was eating greek yogurt for a while but needed a break..kinda missed the other types..but when im done with my gronola bars/yogurt..when i go shopping next week, ill look into some stuff that doesn't contain a lot of carbs/sugar..if any.

Exercise- I do change it up a lot..one day I'll use my wii fit, then take a short walk. I do kickbox/dance workouts online sometimes or dance in general. I do various weight train/strength train workouts and so some yoga...so i don't feel the exercise is the problem, though the most im burning right now is 500 calories. Should try to up it a bit..over the summer/early fall i was pulling 1k cals no problem.

When I was a competitive swimmer we changed up our strength training workouts ever 6 weeks & would add a couple new exercises every year! However, after enough years of doing that my body just wasn't getting any stronger. When it tells you that you have to change up a workout routine because of a plateau, it means DRASTICALLY change up your routine. Never let your muscles get used to anything. Honestly, being sore most days is a GOOD thing! (good sore, not bad sore, know your body well enough to know the difference)
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE -
    Send me your email address and I will send you my results in 6 weeks once I cut my fruit intake. I refuse to post my pics of my tummy and thighs, I don't feel ready to do that yet!! But if you get in touch I'll email them to you.

SUGAR FROM FRUITS WAS AFFECTING MY WEIGHT LOSS PROGRESS. I was eating whole grains, lean meats, fruits, nuts, eggs, veggies. And walking 3-4 miles a day. With very slow progress.

75% of the sugar I was getting was from fruit. Once I cut back on the fruit, I was within the MFP sugar intake and started to lose weight AND inches. I still take a nutritional drink that gives me a super berry blend in it. But I don't eat any additonal fruits right now.

I was under the misconception that fruit could not harm me. But for MY body it was a problem, it was spiking my insulin causing slow weight loss. I'll send yah the info that caused me to change my sugar intake.

Anyone not getting progressing might want to check out their sugar intake, including sugars. Believe it or not I've actually have increased my carb intake. Many say well carbs turn into sugar!! Yes, but the right carbs eaten will not spike insulin in the same way . Fruit is a big spiker of insulin because of the high sugars. To compensate for fiber, I eat black and kidney beans & add flax seed meal to my foods. And of course veggies too but they have sugar too so make sure to track that too.

be sure to check all that you eat for hidden sugars. The labels will show sugar content.

:-)

Renee
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    very late reply!! when you say 75 sugar...is this including the sugar in fruits? i am always around -60 in my daily sugar intake but i really struggle to reduce it!