I have 900+ calories left... do I need to eat them?

Options
2»

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    bio_fit wrote: »
    xstephnz wrote: »

I didn't input those numbers, myfitnesspal did.

Don't worry, the app is notorious for overestimating calorie burns! But the important thing is to bear it in mind, and maybe assume that myfitnesspal is being over generous. Lots of people advocate only eating back half your calories. Others advocate the use of heart rate monitors to get a more accurate log. Personally, I put all my info into other online calculators, and use the lowest number! And it's normally a fair bit lower than MFP. Take a look here for example: http://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-on-elliptical/

^^^ Agreed
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, the app is notorious for overestimating calorie burns! But the important thing is to bear it in mind, and maybe assume that myfitnesspal is being over generous. Lots of people advocate only eating back half your calories. Others advocate the use of heart rate monitors to get a more accurate log. Personally, I put all my info into other online calculators, and use the lowest number! And it's normally a fair bit lower than MFP. Take a look here for example: http://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-on-elliptical/

:)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have said " Lots of people advocate only eating back half your exercise calories" - i.e. those you have 'earned' on top of your normal calorie allowance!

Best of luck! And keep asking questions, it's how we all learn from each other :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have said " Lots of people advocate only eating back half your exercise calories" - i.e. those you have 'earned' on top of your normal calorie allowance!

Best of luck! And keep asking questions, it's how we all learn from each other :)

Great advice :)
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1402 is plenty for one day, especially if they are GOOD calories.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are consistently way below (or above) your daily calories, there is a reason to closer examine your diary, goals etc. If it happens every now and then, it isnotthing to worry about.
    Like others have said, when estimating calories from cardio based on MFP, aim for eating about 50% back, because it tends to overestimate. If you follow ths pattern and you see you are losing too fast after a few weeks, then you can play around a bit and try eating them all back.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Looking at your exercise diary, the calories burned for the times listed look a bit high.

For example, you note 182 cals for 10 mins on the elliptical.
    In comparison, per my heart rate monitor, I burned 538 cals across 40 mins, which works out to 134 per 10 mins.

Likewise, when walking, at a 4 mph pace, I burn ~120 cals per mile per my HRM.
    You did 5 mins at 15min per km. That works out to 1/3 km or 1/5 mile. Per my metric, that should be ~25 cals, but you recorded 30 cals.

Of course, weight and fitness level can affect these figures, but my feeling is that you are overestimating your calories burned.

I didn't input those numbers, myfitnesspal did.

double click on the calorie amount and half it before submitting so you don't have to do any further calculations
  • Sydbert93
    Sydbert93 Posts: 11
    Options
    if you're not hungry theres no point forcing it down
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    1402 is plenty for one day, especially if they are GOOD calories.

Which are much better than bad calories right?

I think the previous poster only meant that it is possible to fill up well on 1400 calories if it's 1400 cals of nutrient-dense food. I can eat a ton of extra calories via ranch dressing or something, but I'll be quickly hungry. Some foods are more satiating than others, as you know-- I don't think it was meant to be a "food judgement." :)