Over Doing It OR NOT

Options
Hello I am relatively new to the world of consistent exercise, I'm going on day 46 of straight exercise with only 4 skipped days. I do 25 min of elliptical in the morning and 25 in the evening. At the end of the day my Fitbit is always over 10,000 steps, I am sleeping well and seeing improvement. My concern is that am I doing enough or should I be doing more?Or is this a fairly good road to go down for weight loss as I have 40 lbs to loose. Thank you

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Eh. Why not take a rest day every week? It's not really too much exercise per day or anything, but rest is good for you.

• strong_er
    strong_er Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'd say trust your body. If you feel good and are making progress then keep it up. Fitness is such a long journey that you can make a thousand adjustments along the way as needed.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good/reasonable level of activity to me.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    no you're pretty far from overtraining, we usually do 40 minutes of cardio 4 days a week and another 90 minutes or so of lifting 6 days a week and rest one day, but if you start to notice a serious lack of intensity or energy it would be wise to rest a day. sometimes serious lifters take up to a week off but again...you're good to go!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's a long, long way from overdoing it. I think you'll be just fine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My concern is that am I doing enough or should I be doing more?

It's pretty mild in terms of CV work, but it would be beneficial to include some resistance training as well, to complement that. Take a look at nerdfitness.com, You Are Your Own Gym, Convict conditioning or similar.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I take at least a rest day a week. You should listen to your body and bear in mind the intensity of your training as well as duration. Dies sound like you are doing any resistance work.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    as long as you're not hurting yourself.
    Heck my average steps throughout the week according to my fitbit is around 20k a day lol
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You are within reason. I push the limits with 9-11 hours a week. You are fine. I do suggest taking one day for recovery every week.

Someone posted on this forum a few weeks ago asking if you could go back and redo this process, what would you change. Hands down, number one answer was to incorporate strength training from day one. I can't stress it enough.

Also, don't be afraid to venture out of your comfort zone and try new things. One of the most common reasons for an exercise regimen to fail is boredom. YouTube can be a great resource of free videos to try out. I used to do a new one every day :)

Hope that helps.
    P.s. Congrats on your 10,000 steps a day!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    If you're sleeping well and feeling good, I don't think you have to worry about over-doing it. I might suggest switching up what *kind* of exercise you do from time to time. Even 50 minutes a day on a "low-weight bearing" machine, the same old repetitve motion on the elliptical can get you into trouble long-term as far as muscle imbalances and leg overuse injuries (runner's knee, IT band syndrome) go.
  • leighia6258
    leighia6258 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yup !!! Thank you for the input. I realize I'm just incredibly out of shape and this is why my legs feel like Jelly. Keep in mind my 50 min are not at a leisurely pace:)!!!! I guess this puts a lot into perspective for me!!!!! And I kinda should step it up. Thank you! I was thinking because my legs felt like this I might have overdone it on the elliptical and can focus on other machines! Well here's to stepping it up
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yup !!! Thank you for the input. I realize I'm just incredibly out of shape and this is why my legs feel like Jelly. Keep in mind my 50 min are not at a leisurely pace:)!!!! I guess this puts a lot into perspective for me!!!!! And I kinda should step it up. Thank you! I was thinking because my legs felt like this I might have overdone it on the elliptical and can focus on other machines! Well here's to stepping it up

I'd definitely do some strength training or at least mix it up with some cardio stuff other than elliptical (assuming you don't have any injuries/conditions that mean you can't safely do that) so that you don't get bored of the same activity twice a day... you might find something you enjoy more!