No support

Options
theresadaisy77
theresadaisy77 Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
I want to start by saying I'm tired of being fat! The world is not nice to fat people and doctors blame all your aliments on your weight. Losing weight is hard because no one in my family supports me. When I eat less than them, they ask, "Is that all your gonna eat?" I asked them not to offer me dessert anymore after meals, they still do and give the excuse, "treat yourself." Their attitudes make it so hard to resist the temptation to eat more or indulge. I feel so alone right now. I want to be successful, but will it be impossible with them around? I can't lose this weight quick enough, I don't want to be fat anymore!!

Replies

• runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you're tired of it, change it. The people around you don't control you. You're in charge of your health. Make it happen. Once you prove to them your determination, you'll be their source of motivation. Turn the tables and use the example you set to change the people around you.
  • vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's really hard isn't it, the family think they're treating you with dessert, choc etc but they're not. You have to be really strong, just keep saying NO until they get the message
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's not easy and I sympathise if your family is not supportive but they won't be until they see that you are serious about this. You need to say "no thank you" to them firmly and politely and follow through. Don't take the dessert etc. When they see that you are serious they will stop pestering you. At this point as they all know that you want to lose weight I wouldn't off them explanations anymore. Just a polite "no thank you" and follow through on it. You are the only person responsible for what goes into your mouth- no on else- so stop blaming your family. If they don't support you look for support elsewhere. This website is a good place to start. Best of luck with it. You can do it if you want it enough.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're facing this opposition. I know what it feels like to be "enabled". But the time to re-examine whether your family is really to blame is now. Even if your family was 100% supportive of you, would that make all the temptation in the world disappear? Unfortunately not. Everybody faces temptation. The world is designed around indulgence.

If you have roommates, you will encounter their junk food/desserts in the communal fridge.

If you work in an office, there will be cakes and dessert.

If you have friends that go out, there will be restaurant food and possibly alcohol.

If you have a relationship, there will be offerings of chocolate/sweets and restaurant food again.

If you walk down the street, there will be wonderful aromas of baked goods and more restaurant food.

If you go to the grocery store, the first and last displays you see will be impulse purchases like doughnuts, pies, packaged food, and candy.

This is the world we live in. And as humans, we must eat. The best thing you can do is to learn to live the way you want with a moderation of indulgences. Eat within your calories, savor and enjoy your occasional treats, and take your health more seriously than other people do.
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    In a lot of cases, you just have to be selfish when it comes to health and fitness. You won't always get support.

It's nice when you do; but jealousy is a common human failing, and you'll see it everywhere.
  • ArcheryKat1984
    ArcheryKat1984 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Put yourself first, and you want to lose weight steady and consistently, it stays off better than a rapid weight loss.

If your family won't support you, you will get plenty of support and motivation on here,
  • Edgec0mb
    Edgec0mb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can sympathise with your situation, but you have to focus on yourself right now. As other commenters noted, be firm and resolute in your decision to lose weight. There will always be opposition in your life, but you can come here and find great support.

Add some people, get involved in discussions, give some support and you'll get some back. Just adding people and seeing their food logs, exercises and log in streaks is inspiring in itself.

I don't know your family, but maybe they turn around and become supportive once you show how determined and serious about your plans you are. But I know MFP community, and you can always turn to us and get the support you need.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You don't need support. You need an iron will to do this regardless if everyone is cheering you on or trying to sabotage you.

Have a silent, internal dialogue with yourself and the rest of the world.

Friend/Family member/Co-worker/Whoever: "Why are you.....(eating that, exercising, not eating that, etc)....?"

You: "Because F.U.C.K. you, that's why."

Just laugh and go about your own damn business of improving yourself and the rest of the world can p.i.s.s. off. They can eat whatever they want and stay fat.

• Edgec0mb
    Edgec0mb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    You don't need support. You need an iron will to do this regardless if everyone is cheering you on or trying to sabotage you.

Friend/Family member/Co-worker/Whoever: "Why are you.....(eating that, exercising, not eating that, etc)....?"

Just laugh and go about your own damn business of improving yourself and the rest of the world can p.i.s.s. off. They can eat whatever they want and stay fat.

I disagree with this, it is just my opinion, but I think support is very important for weight loss. We are social beings and we like when our "herd" accepts us and approves of us and our actions. What is important is to trust in a selected group of people and look for social support from them, but if you can't find that in real life, you can rely on MFP.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Edgec0mb wrote: »

I disagree with this, it is just my opinion, but I think support is very important for weight loss. We are social beings and we like when our "herd" accepts us and approves of us and our actions. What is important is to trust in a selected group of people and look for social support from them, but if you can't find that in real life, you can rely on MFP.

Well said :)
  • bellabutt3
    bellabutt3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My mom still does this with me (she's 81, I'm 59 and with her often). Would I ever say "F.U.C.K. you" to her? NOT!
    Have a serious sit down talk, explain how you are feeling and ASK for their support. If they can't or won't build yourself a network from somewhere else. MFP members are alwsys here for backup. GOOD LUCK!
  • YanskaNY
    YanskaNY Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It comes down to you/us taking responsibility for your/our health and our lives. With or without support we deserve to take care of ourselves. Yes, having a pat on the back and NOT having food-pushers all around us is a bonus and makes a hard task a bit easier, but oftentimes that is not reality. The jealous people, the jerks, the lazy *kitten*, the ones who don't wish ANYONE well on anything are all out there waiting to take you down for their own reasons. It's up to you to rise above! Being here is a great start - you are literally SURROUNDED by support and you cannot do wrong by us. Chin up and weight down, I say! You can do this! :) We are here for you! EVERYTHING is a choice, including choosing to be brought down by negative people. Don't do it.
  • missh1967
    Options

I agree that everyone wants acceptance and encouragement, but it's not required to achieve your goals. It just makes it a wee bit easier. :)
  • missh1967
    Options
    bellabutt3 wrote: »
    My mom still does this with me (she's 81, I'm 59 and with her often). Would I ever say "F.U.C.K. you" to her? NOT!
    Have a serious sit down talk, explain how you are feeling and ASK for their support. If they can't or won't build yourself a network from somewhere else. MFP members are alwsys here for backup. GOOD LUCK!

Oh good grief. I said a "silent, internal dialogue."

• loz2304
    loz2304 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe by your change in attitude about yourself makes your family feel bad about themselves but they aren't at the point to be brave enough to admit this and do something with it. Is there anyway you could take charge of cooking some meals and make them healthy without making it obvious, so you all get to enjoy a family meal, kind of stealth health
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think you need your family's support. Just say a polite "no, thank you" when they offer something you don't need, and don't comment on the "is that all you're going to eat?" type questions. Log your food, keep your eyes on the prize and understand that the first time you say "no, thank you" is ALWAYS the toughest, but it gets easier every time you do it, and, before long, hey! presto! you've formed a habit that's become second-nature and what some people might call willpower.

Your family just loves you and wants you to be happy and healthy and cared for. Wanting to find your own way of doing that is perfectly fine.
  • Ness725
    Ness725 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try printing out all the posts in this forum and giving it to them...
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't let your family sabotage you. Try to be polite, and just say no when they try to feed you more. Eventually they'll stop badgering you (hopefully) or you'll have to just learn how to tune them out.

I have found that when it comes to weight loss, you have to be your own biggest cheerleader. My motto in most things is this: "There are some things you have to do on your own." Celebrate your successes, and learn to accept and forgive your mistakes. It doesn't mean you can't talk to someone when you need it, though. There will always be tons of supporters here on MFP.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks, I have people like that in my life, too. Sometimes after trying to politely decline so many times to no avail, I have had to firmly say, "no thank you, I'm trying to be healthier and these foods tempt me and don't fit into my day." You can support yourself and find like minded individuals to talk to. This post is a good first step.
  • anacd
    anacd Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Couldn't have said better :smile: