Let's clear up a misconception

Options

Replies

• KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Jesus, people! Get it together! Did I stutter? Yellow peeps! No chocolate covering, no marshmallow christmas trees or easter bunnies. Yellow. Mothertrucking. Peeps. [/quote]

Next miracle diet, only eat when peeps are on grocery shelves! When does the book come out?

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Did we get the bullying/mean people bingo square in this thread yet? Hot dang! We've got everything now.

Yes. And I really wonder if this is considered bullying, how nice other people's lives must be. Because real bullying can be devastating for people.

Word. Since when did disagreeing with people and correcting their misconceptions become bullying?

Serious. It's like MFP version of Godwin's Law but with 'bully' instead of 'nazi'.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Pop question: What's better? Someone giving bad advice in a supportive and caring way, or someone giving good advice in a brusque and blunt manner?

Assume these are the only two options when considering an answer.

Every single time this... with knobs and bells on for good measure. Good can we get back to the gifs now please.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Pop question: What's better? Someone giving bad advice in a supportive and caring way, or someone giving good advice in a brusque and blunt manner?

The thing is, it's not always brusque and blunt! Sometimes you brusque guys are pussycats.

You just don't suffer fools gladly.

• KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ""Peeps just aren't that good. In fact, I would go so far as to say they are bad. Disgusting, even."" Diet food isn't supposed to taste good
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I see 'peeps' I think 'people' and all this talk of barbecuing them and exploding them in microwaves is making me very uncomfortable.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The thing is, it's not always brusque and blunt! Sometimes you brusque guys are pussycats.

Sometimes, it's not good advice either. This is one of the posts from the thread she's referring to:
    I am certified Fitness instructor and want to say that although you can go low carb and cut out fruit, but you are also losing important vitamins and nutrients your body needs to feed the brain and muscles and assist in proper circulation. Skinny does not mean healthy!!!!

There's another 2 pages of people arguing with judiness because they disagree with how OP phrased something 3 pages earlier, but none of them thought that misinformation was worth correcting. They think it's more important to make her repeat a half dozen times over that she maintains a calorie deficit by counting carbs instead of calories, something she's never denied to begin with. They also choose to ignore the reality that for a lot of people, removing carbs, all other things being equal, makes a difference because of an underlying medical condition that may not be diagnosed or even suspected yet, PCOS being the first that comes to mind. Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the bacon...and chocolate...and wine...and...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Sometimes, it's not good advice either. This is one of the posts from the thread she's referring to:
    I am certified Fitness instructor and want to say that although you can go low carb and cut out fruit, but you are also losing important vitamins and nutrients your body needs to feed the brain and muscles and assist in proper circulation. Skinny does not mean healthy!!!!

There's another 2 pages of people arguing with jillibean because they disagree with how she phrased something 3 pages earlier, but none of them thought that misinformation was worth correcting. They think it's more important to make her repeat a half dozen times over that she maintains a calorie deficit by counting carbs instead of calories, something she's never denied to begin with. They also choose to ignore the reality that for a lot of people, removing carbs, all other things being equal, makes a difference because of an underlying medical condition that may not be diagnosed or even suspected yet, PCOS being the first that comes to mind. Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

so now we are going to argue about that thread in this thread, really?

Here is the actual cliff notes:

OP said she did not restrict calories but still lost weight
    she then said that low carb/keto burns fat faster than a traditional diet
    she the said that a 500 calorie deficit was an "extreme" diet
    she still is saying that she does not restrict calories and only lost weight because she went low carb...
    OP has no medical condition that she has identified..

so slight mischaracterization on your part...

I have said this like a thousand times, but keto, low carb, IIFYM, etc are just tools to get one into a calorie deficit. One is not superior to the other. The only time OP's are going to get called n stuff is when they try to say "CICO does not work for me" or "I only lose weight when I cut carbs" etc, etc...

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

There's another 2 pages of people arguing with judiness because they disagree with how OP phrased something 3 pages earlier, but none of them thought that misinformation was worth correcting. They think it's more important to make her repeat a half dozen times over that she maintains a calorie deficit by counting carbs instead of calories, something she's never denied to begin with. They also choose to ignore the reality that for a lot of people, removing carbs, all other things being equal, makes a difference because of an underlying medical condition that may not be diagnosed or even suspected yet, PCOS being the first that comes to mind. Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

Oh you are really reaching. People are cutting carbs because they're reading a tarot deck and self-diagnosing PCOS so everyone should give them a pass or suggest they have that looked into?

Give me a break.

• JPW1990
    Options

Oh you are really reaching. People are cutting carbs because they're reading a tarot deck and self-diagnosing PCOS so everyone should give them a pass or suggest they have that looked into?

Give me a break.

Not even remotely what I said, did you even read it all? In the middle of a fight because she said she counts carbs instead of calories, someone threw out their little broscience that low carb = no fruit = brain and muscle damage. Not one of them thought that was important enough to correct. If it's all about keeping it real and correcting misinformation, and that's really what everyone was there to do, why ignore that and instead keep harping on something she'd already restated repeatedly? Other people did correct it, just not the ones who were allegedly there to give tough love and correct "misinformation."
  • frabeco
    frabeco Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have realized that occasionally I have to just give in, or I will give in for good!!!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

You and two other people in that thread corrected that person's statement, and he/she never came back to argue, so what would've been the point?

Also, the OP in that thread has not said that she has any medical conditions - she is clearly (from her posts) looking for a quick fix or a miracle diet. Her logic isn't exactly sound. When her weight loss slows down from her low carb diet (which it will), she will likely move on to the next diet, which will then be the "only diet that works" for her.

The posters in that thread are trying to get her to understand why she's really losing weight on her low carb diet so that when she reintroduces carbs she won't be surprised when she gains that water weight back.
  • JPW1990
    Options

You and two other people in that thread corrected that person's statement, and he/she never came back to argue, so what would've been the point?

Also, the OP in that thread has not said that she has any medical conditions - she is clearly (from her posts) looking for a quick fix or a miracle diet. Her logic isn't exactly sound. When her weight loss slows down from her low carb diet (which it will), she will likely move on to the next diet, which will then be the "only diet that works" for her.

The posters in that thread are trying to get her to understand why she's really losing weight on her low carb diet so that when she reintroduces carbs she won't be surprised when she gains that water weight back.

What's the point of the 4 pages of arguing they've already done, when she's already explained it to them?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to unsubscribe from a thread? This is beyond silly.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

What's the point of the 4 pages of arguing they've already done, when she's already explained it to them?

Because she hasn't actually explained anything...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Is there a way to unsubscribe from a thread? This is beyond silly.

Click the star in the upper right corner of the thread and you should stop receiving notifications.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    writerkat wrote: »
    ""Peeps just aren't that good. In fact, I would go so far as to say they are bad. Disgusting, even."" Diet food isn't supposed to taste good

You are eating the wrong "diet food" then.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    writerkat wrote: »

I'll admit it. I laughed.=)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

This kind of thing goes on in many threads...if they get long enough, you'll see...

Try saying something about your "diet."

And someone will chirp "It's not a diet. Diets fail. Make a lifestyle change!

When acutally - what you eat on a regular basis...is....your...diet.

But you have to make sure you word it properly so someone with an issue with words doesn't come and correct you.

You'll even see someone making fun of my comment about not calling junk food junk food..and calling it "fun" food. In the context of this thread, the idea was it was to be an occasional treat added to a nutritionally sound diet (oops, lifestyle change, ) that meets most if not all of your daily macros...just for FUN. Not for every meal, every day...and then he suggested that we rename diabetes to "diafunbetes" or something like that and added "fun" to other words like cholesterol etc. When if anyone had bothered to read the context of the discussion (the serious one, not the silly sarcasm posts..) they would know what I meant. Unless I misinterpreted the mocking...which I doubt...but hey. I could, I suppose, call it "bullying" too...but....

I really don't like the way the term bullying is thrown around these days. Everything that is not in agreement is "bullying" to some people. Wow...maybe it's time everyone puts their big person panties on and just listens to one another.

This discussion has been closed.