home vs gym

Options
Hey guys I want your opinions! You prefer to train at home or at gym .. and why ? :) thx

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like the gym.

I can work out at home- but I generally won't- I prefer getting up and leaving my house to go do so. Plus cats/cat hair- makes push ups a pita.... and generally speaking- I get so easily distracted it's just more simple for me to go straight to the gym and handle my business and go home.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 2-3 times a week for cardio and classes, but I also do DVDs at home. So I guess I have no preference.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I like the gym.

I can work out at home- but I generally won't- I prefer getting up and leaving my house to go do so. Plus cats/cat hair- makes push ups a pita.... and generally speaking- I get so easily distracted it's just more simple for me to go straight to the gym and handle my business and go home.

This is the only legitimate reason I can think of for having a gym membership - because at home, you need to force yourself into the habit of working out. It's hard to do so. It's much easier to get into the habit of leaving home to workout somewhere else.

For me, this is only rue for strength training. I have the gym for anything cardio related. It needs to be fun and treadmills, stationary bikes, rowing machines, etc., are not fun by any stretch of the imagination.

I go outdoors to run, cycle, hike, etc.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have a bench, squat rack, a barbell, plates, and dumbbells at home. For me it has the advantage of being able to get up and lift at 5 am without leaving the house. I love it, but do miss the more social aspect of the gym.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both! I go to the gym because I do not have a treadmill or rower, plus I am required to go at least two days a week through the weight management program that I am in. Some days I like the social aspect of going to the gym even though I don't always talk to a bunch of people. It is more of the smile and nod thing!

I workout at home on my elliptical and with kettlebells with my music blaring on the days that I don't feel like going to the gym or I am snowed in. Plus, some days I don't want to be social, or fight the crowd at the gym if I miss the quieter hours.

If you are trying to decide which one is right for you, then you may need to decide what your goals are and which will work better for you. I think both can be great in helping you to lose weight, tone up, or build some serious muscles.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's too easy for me to slack off at home. I think a gym is better for consistency and discipline.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Both.
    - Gym has more of the specialized equipment that is unrealistic for me to have at home.
    - Home is far more convenient and never crowded.

So when my schedule allows me to get to the gym while it's not crowded, I do that. Otherwise I lift at home.
  • Behindthesehazeleyes96
    Options
    Gym with a friend makes me work harder
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would go to a gym if I had regular transportation (I don't have my own car) or the resources. I've been making do with a home workout DVD collection as of late.

I own nearly ever Jillian Michaels DVD, some Ballet Beautiful DVDs, and a few others.

I hear Beachbody just opened a streaming service, so I may look into that as I get tired of my normal routine.

For my current weight loss journey, I've been doing home workouts for 2 months. Its WAY too cold to run outside just yet, but hopefully I'll get a little outdoor activity in the coming weeks. I also have a bicycle that needs to be fixed up.

Anyway... home DVD workouts are great for me because I can follow along. It's great to have a trainer on my TV explaining every exercise as I do them. I also like the backup trainers that Jillian uses in her workouts, because they look just as fatigued as me (after a full day of shooting, probably, but we'll just ignore that) and I don't feel alone.

I do love going to a gym though. The gym has heavier weights AND cardio equipment. I kind of miss doing mindless cardio at a brisk walk for 60 minutes, or going hard for HIIT for 30 minutes, or trying to get my fastest mile...

But at least with my home DVDs, I feel like I get in a decent combination of both strength and cardio, whereas I tend to slack in he bodyweight exercise department at the gym...because I'm paranoid that people are staring.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Both.
    - Gym has more of the specialized equipment that is unrealistic for me to have at home.
    - Home is far more convenient and never crowded.

Given the choice, the gym because ^this. But also home because ^that. :smile:

When I had a gym membership I barely went. Now we have a spin bike & a set of dumbbells and a bench at home. A basic set up at best, but I can work out while dinner is in the oven, or in between loads of laundry, or in any of the other small windows of time that I wasn't using to go to the gym. So it's better than nothing.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership that only costs me $49 a year but its always so crowded. I made myself suspension straps(TRX type) and i'm looking into finding a total gym on cl. Anyone have any experience with the total gym?
  • PJR1985
    PJR1985 Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Home gym FTW! I have a squat rack/bench combo, a pull up stand, resistance bands, oly bar, screw-lock dumbbells and various plate weights. I got all of it for what I would end up paying in 18 montha of gym dues. It's all I need. I never have to wait for the *kitten* doing shrugs in the one squat rack at the gym, or the woman taking gym selfies on the cable row machine any longer. I find I'm more willing to try to push myself because no one is there to see me make a fool of myself if something goes wrong. I can do deep squats and not worry about ripping my pants. I don't have to smell other peoples stink or clean off their sweat. I can do circuit work without losing my spot. It's the best decision I may have ever made.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Home. No waiting for equipment (and I can go in my jammies, if I want to) :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running kit in a bag - train anywhere I have access to a shower
    Cycling - generally from home, turbo-trainer in the garage for the Sufferfest
    Resistance training in the woods or park after a short (5-6K) run to warm up
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    My life dictates home. So home it is.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I like the gym.

This is the only legitimate reason I can think of for having a gym membership - because at home, you need to force yourself into the habit of working out. It's hard to do so. It's much easier to get into the habit of leaving home to workout somewhere else.

For me, this is only rue for strength training. I have the gym for anything cardio related. It needs to be fun and treadmills, stationary bikes, rowing machines, etc., are not fun by any stretch of the imagination.

I go outdoors to run, cycle, hike, etc.

Yeppers.

Now- funny- if I NEED to workout- and I haven't- I can do a quick HIIT workout at home while I'm baking a cake (yeah I've done it- don't judge me)... but I just know myself and I know I'm not consistent with doing work at home- I wouldn't get anywheres if I ONLY trained at home. I'm lazy and I know it. (cue song)

I'll go do cardio at some point- don't have a problem with that- but actually trying to do a workout while I"m just sitting around? not so much.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    home for me, too hard to get out to the gym with two little 'uns to look after.... ive just had my own built so i better prefer it! Given I havent had gym membership for 5 years this has got to be better... Anyone out there with their own home gym want to friend me, im keen to see what other people do at home, especially using power/squat racks... all new to me, so learning the ropes.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    PJR1985 wrote: »
    Home gym FTW! I have a squat rack/bench combo, a pull up stand, resistance bands, oly bar, screw-lock dumbbells and various plate weights. I got all of it for what I would end up paying in 18 montha of gym dues. It's all I need. I never have to wait for the *kitten* doing shrugs in the one squat rack at the gym, or the woman taking gym selfies on the cable row machine any longer. I find I'm more willing to try to push myself because no one is there to see me make a fool of myself if something goes wrong. I can do deep squats and not worry about ripping my pants. I don't have to smell other peoples stink or clean off their sweat. I can do circuit work without losing my spot. It's the best decision I may have ever made.
    /\/\Right On!/\/\

I've got to wait another year or so and then I'm going to convert the basement kids toy room into my gym, squat rack, bench simple. Until then I'll do my lifting at a gym and do my cardio at home.

• hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Home... no distractions, no music, no chit-chat...just me, the Iron and my heart beat.
  • MinnesotaNice507
    MinnesotaNice507 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Definitely home. I work full time from home plus have all my mom responsibilities so it is much easier to fit it in at home. I do end up with cats on my chest or stomach when I bench press but I can live with it. ;)