home vs gym

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    lesliedebo wrote: »
    Gym with a friend makes me work harder

I always work harder at the gym for some reason. Probably because there are girls around. It also seems easier to get into a "routine" by going out to a gym instead of working out at home.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Home - it's easier for my life schedule. I have a squat rack, bar, plates, dumbells, bench and treadmill (and some other random stuff like a ball and jump rope or whatever). I get up before the rest of the house, get my stuff done and then conquer the day. Gyms are inconvenient in my over-scheduled existence. It's one more place to worry about going, penciling in the time to commute and going out in the $hitty weather to get there. In the spring I'll take the cardio outdoors, but the lifting stays home.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Both!! Working out at home means I can get up bright & early to burn a few calories before getting ready for work, and I have a nice set up with weights, treadclimber & treadmill. I go to the gym to take classes or to work out with friends after work.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Both. I like to have a routine prepared for me, so I go to boot camps at the gym. They change up the routines which I really like. I also have gotten to know the people I work out with which makes it fun and makes me accountable to show up. I have some equipment at home and also enjoy the alone time too. I find I need the mix. Too much alone time exercising I go crazy, too many classes, I crave my alone time. Doing both is the balance I need.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    As part of planning for a baby, I invested in enough equipment to work out at home. It is wonderful to not have to take the time to go to the gym. It also allows me to take a break from my workout if my baby needs me. I do miss spin class and my husband misses the pool, but it is nice to not have to fight gym crowds.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym. The gym I used to go to only had one squat rack and it was always in use when I would go. As a single parent, I had only a small window of opportunity to get my workouts in and it wasn't happening. I bought a squat rack, barbell, plates, bench, dumbbells, and a pull-up bar for my house. My gym is never closed and I have no excuse not to work out. I miss the gym for cardio equipment and the pool, especially in the winter, but mostly it was a waste of money for me to keep the membership.
  • natebollinger
    natebollinger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Home. I have a whole setup. I get up and get after it before I even eat (with the exception of C4 or some black coffee). No excuses. Then I pound my protein shake, creatine, etc. Sets the tone for the whole day.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Gym. I usually brush off workouts at home. Besides outdoor activities, I go to the gym right after work so I don't talk myself out of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I prefer the gym...they have way more lifting equipment than I could ever possibly fit into my garage.

Plus, I've had issues working out at home in the past...basically I walk in the door and all of the million domestic things I need to take care of hit me in the face and I don't get my workout in...because that's broken and needs fixed now...or the dog pooped in the living room again, etc. With the gym, I go directly from work and I get my stuff done without distraction.

It might be different if I was a bachelor and didn't have a wife and two young kids...just too much *kitten* going on once I get home.

That said, I would like to get an Oly platform and some bumper plates for those times when I can't make it to the gym and get a full workout in...at least I would be able to get in some Oly stuff which usually only takes me 20 minutes or so.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There are two advantages - for me - to working out at the gym.

Equipment, as Jackson has already mentioned, and it's easier to get a spot (including lift-off), if needed.

Otherwise, I'd prefer to lift at home, as I wouldn't have to wait for the squat rack or power cage. I also wouldn't have to worry about some fool (other than myself, of course) leaving stuff lying about or plates on the bar.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've done nothing but work out at home for the last 10 months, but I'm on the verge of joining a gym to push my weight lifting to the next level.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    If I had room for a squat rack in my home, I would never leave
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Otherwise, I'd prefer to lift at home, as I wouldn't have to wait for the squat rack or power cage. I also wouldn't have to worry about some fool (other than myself, of course) leaving stuff lying about or plates on the bar.
    Agreed! "Who LEFT THIS *kitten* OUT... oh wait, that was me".

I have a gym in my basement, and I prefer this vs. having to get my bum up and drive to the gym!

I also love being able to workout without it being busy! All equipment is for meeeeee.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    gym, I just don't push myself at home. My motivation is watching other people push themselves!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym set up but prefer exercising outdoors. I do have a Y membership but it pains me to use it. The only reason I go there is for the pool.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Gym. Specialized equipment, instant access to my coaches, a spot/lift off any time I need it. Never crowded, never have to wait for equipment, and every single person in there is a committed athlete.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I wish I could work out at home, but with no garage, a small house, and a basement with only 6' ceilings, there is no where to put equipment. So the gym it is! But it is a hassle, because I don't go right after work because it is too crowded and I can't get a rack, but if I wait until later, their daycare closes too early, so then I have to pay a babysitter if my husband isn't home. So I go at night after the kiddo is in bed and hubby is home, but often have to rush through to get to sleep at a reasonable time myself. I would kill to be able to lift weights while dinner is cooking or the kid is watching TV.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I hit the corporate gym during my lunch hour... and have a squat rack with a pull down attachment at home to work on Strength evenings and weekends... NOT that, that is what I do.. BUT it's there when the urge hits...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    I hit the corporate gym during my lunch hour... and have a squat rack with a pull down attachment at home to work on Strength evenings and weekends... NOT that, that is what I do.. BUT it's there when the urge hits...

lulz
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Home, but only because I recently acquired a squat rack, barbells, dumbbells/kettlebells, a chinup/dip station, and a boyfriend who will spot me if I need it. My warmups were actually the hardest part to do in the condo, but then I discovered a back set of stairs I can run, and I have a foam roller on hand for mobility exercises pre-lift.

I used to skip sessions because I was "too tired" (lazy). Now, if I try that, it's a lot easier to push myself to do it if I'm at home and the weights are staring me right in the face, rather than having to leave home to do it.