Any 5K Runners?

Options
I'll be doing the Run to Fight Children’s Cancer at Grand Canyon University this weekend - it will be my second 5K.

I'm not very fast - anything under 40 minutes will be a good time for me at this point. :smiley:

Replies

• helenleeeeee
    helenleeeeee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just ran a 5k last week in a little over 41. Not my pr but faster than I had run that same race last year :)
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

My first 5k (on Thanksgiving) was around 42-43 minutes... Unless I come up injured or not feeling well, I should beat that and set a new PR; I've lost a lot of weight and I'm certainly faster now.

40 or less is my goal; 38 would make me REALLY happy.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    my time was 43 mins back in September, just lost my way in the past few months. I have started again with 54 mins but soon I will bring it down
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Early February was bad for me - I really regressed. Got out of my running routine; just a ton of work getting in the way. But you'll be surprised how fast it can come back to you once you get back at it on a regular basis.

Adding strength training helps a lot as well. I noticed a lot more pop in my stride once I began hitting the weights.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. remember, for every 15seconds/km improvement on your average pace, you take 1m15 off your 5k time :)

Don't go full pelt from the off. Burn out here, and you'll lose a min/km in the later stages.

Start closer to the front than you normally would. That'll get you 20 seconds improvement for free.
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k in November. My time was 42 minutes. In December I did another with a PR of 36 minutes. I'm now down to 31 in practice. I'll be doing another 5k next Saturday. Hopefully with all of the adrenaline and excitement I'll drop under 30. In practice my times are ALWAYS higher. I am working towards a 1/2 marathon on April 4th. It might be a stretch and I might have to crawl over the finish line but I intend to finish ;)

You are doing great! Congrats on running, it is certainly not easy :)

Just be sure to pace yourself. One of the hardest things to do (for me at least) is to hold myself back at the beginning. I always get caught up with passing people and it makes the last half mile horrible.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I'm training for one as we speak. I have yet to run all 3.2 miles but I'm getting there. I've gone from a 20min mile 6 weeks ago to a 15.30 mile yesterday.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Not clear whether you have a question or are just looking for chat! In any case, I'm running my first 5K race on April 11. My normal training pace is around 24-25 minutes for 5K, and I did a 5K tempo run in 22:34 in December; I'm aiming for 22:20 in my race, so a 7:17 average pace, but if I still have something left in the tank by mile 2.5, I'll pick up the pace and try to beat 22 minutes.

I haven't been doing much speedwork (just a little bit of fartlek now and then), but I've been doing one long run a week, which has worked wonders for my speed at shorter distances.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Shooting for sub 16:59 this year. Last 5k was 17:38.

Fellow runners, feel free to add me.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5K of my "race season" next weekend. It's called the Shamrock Shuffle. The only other race I have on the books is the Leaf Peepers Half Marathon in Oct. That will be my second half marathon. I'm hoping for a better time than my first one last year that was part of the Biggest Loser race series. It was at Killington Ski Resort here in Vermont and man was that painful! Every hill you went down you got to go back up and there were A LOT of them! LOL
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Ugh I HATE 5ks. Race is too long to be an anaerobic effort obviously, but it is short enough to be puke-fast.

At least they don't hurt for very long... but damn I would rather race a long race any day over a 5k :)
  • taylorbree1
    taylorbree1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My family and I have signed up for 2 5Ks in April but one of them is a non competetive run. It will be my first ever 5K. I'm really excited about it!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Taylorbree- They can be a lot of fun.....as long as it doesn't snow. LOL
    It snowed during the Shamrock Shuffle this time last year. It was downright cold.....and snowy. LOL
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Ugh I HATE 5ks. Race is too long to be an anaerobic effort obviously, but it is short enough to be puke-fast.

At least they don't hurt for very long... but damn I would rather race a long race any day over a 5k :)

Ditto. 5Ks hurt.

• jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k last November at the end of the C25K program in 39:47. I couldn't run the whole thing and walked more than I wanted to but finished.

Last weekend I ran my first "real" (chipped, bibbed, etc) 5k, ran the whole thing and finished in 36:10! I guess the work is paying off but I realize that I'm going to have to kick it up multiple notches if I want to get faster and/or run longer. I'm running another 5k tomorrow just because it's there :) (I NEVER thought I'd be that person, but there it is nonetheless)
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I feel exactly the same way

• nala3177
    nala3177 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of doing c25k again. Stopped running for a while and starting over. To keep myself motivated I've signed up for a 5k a month. As long as I improve my time with every race I'm happy.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was a color run and my time was 28min and my second one was a mud run. Time was 38min! Did those both last summer and looking to do more this summer. Both were fun so made the running more enjoyable :) Especially the mud run. The obstacles were options you could do but I made it my goal to do them all and run the entire time no matter what pace. LOVED it!
  • yuyutu81
    yuyutu81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just signed up an non competitive run at the end of April. I have never been a runner, actually hate running as a matter of fact but I want to start running and thought this would be a good motivator. :)
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I also ran my first 5k last thanksgiving and will be running again this Saturday. Last time, my 2 boys ran with me. This time my husband is joining us. So Excited to be able to do it together!!!

Now, we just need to train our 5-year-old girl to join us in the future :smiley: